Forum Home Forum Home > Chalfont St Peter > News and Gossip
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Voting

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 10>
Author
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2007 at 11:46am
Im abstaining from voting, not getting involved in local issues.
Sponsored Links

phisch21 View Drop Down
Chalfont Oracle
Chalfont Oracle

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phisch21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2007 at 11:50am
So by the same logic.....

I want Spurs to have a decent central defence next season - should I offer my services as they appear to be unable to put someone forward?

DanW View Drop Down
Chalfont Admin
Chalfont Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DanW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2007 at 11:56am
That's just reducing the argument to the absurd (Reductio ad absurdum) because it compares 'apples and oranges'.
I used to be with it. But then they changed what it was. Now what I'm with isn't it, and what's it seems scary and weird.
Jenny View Drop Down
Chalfont Star
Chalfont Star

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jenny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2007 at 12:44pm
Originally posted by rob rob wrote:

Im abstaining from voting, not getting involved in local issues.

But you are involved in local issues. The level of Council Tax affects you, street lighting affects you, whether the Council subsidises the Car Park affects you.

You cannot say you are not getting involved in local issues, that is ridiculous!

Edited by Jenny - 03 May 2007 at 12:44pm
No one really cares if you are miserable so you might was well be happy. (Cynthia Nelms)
phisch21 View Drop Down
Chalfont Oracle
Chalfont Oracle

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phisch21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2007 at 12:53pm
Originally posted by DanW DanW wrote:

That's just reducing the argument to the absurd (Reductio ad absurdum) because it compares 'apples and oranges'.

not really. I think it highlights the fact that not everyone (including me) is qualified or motivated enough to want to stand for election.

Given so many local issues are controlled from central Government anyway (recycling targets, landfill reduction, council tax subsidies, new housing targets, planning applications such as Tesco in GX, the MSA at Beaconsfield/Hedgerley, etc) it probably doesn't really make much difference who is elected.

Edited by phisch21 - 03 May 2007 at 12:54pm
Emsy View Drop Down
Chalfont Star
Chalfont Star

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Emsy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2007 at 1:06pm
I do vote although I am still apathetic in the context that I don't believe that it makes a difference - my council tax is still going to go up, the rubbish will still be collected etc.

On a wider scale IMO I don't think there are significant differences between how the tories / lib dems etc would run the country compared to labour, its just wind at election time.
A man's got to do what a man's got to do. A woman must do what he can't.
LXMF View Drop Down
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LXMF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2007 at 1:16pm
Does anyone know where we can find a list of the candidates??
phisch21 View Drop Down
Chalfont Oracle
Chalfont Oracle

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phisch21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2007 at 1:17pm
http://buckinghamshireadvertiser.co.uk/

LXMF View Drop Down
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LXMF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2007 at 1:22pm
Thank you!

Any thoughts on these guys?

David Meacock Conservative Party
Linda Smith Conservative Party
Peter Nowell Liberal Democrats
Anita View Drop Down
Villager
Villager

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Anita Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2007 at 1:27pm
I have just been to vote not having received any info on any of the candidates or the party politics. Few years ago we would have been deluged with sheets from all the candidates.Angry
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 10>