Forum Home Forum Home > Chalfont St Peter > News and Gossip
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Voting

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 10>
Author
Chalfont Oracle
Chalfont Oracle

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phisch21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2007 at 10:04am
Originally posted by Jenny Jenny wrote:

If you cannot be bothered to walk (or even drive) to your local Polling Station then you do not have the right to complain.

If you feel so strongly that there isn't anyone worth voting for then write across it, None of the Above!

How do you know there is no one worth voting for? Have you discussed each candidate's local policies with them?

I never said I couldn't be bothered to walk to the polling station. I simply stated that I would not wish to vote for any of the candidates who are standing as I understand their policies and those of the parties they represent.
Sponsored Links

DanW View Drop Down
Chalfont Admin
Chalfont Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DanW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2007 at 10:07am
Originally posted by phisch21 phisch21 wrote:

Some might say that I should therefore stand for election myself. I doubt I could do a good job given I work full time, travel with work, have a wife in full time work and am trying to raise three kids.

And so do many other who have worked on the local council.

Don't complain if there's something you don't like - do something about it. For too long everyone in this country has been happy to moan about what they don't like rather than getting up and doing something about it.

Apathy rules.
I used to be with it. But then they changed what it was. Now what I'm with isn't it, and what's it seems scary and weird.
phisch21 View Drop Down
Chalfont Oracle
Chalfont Oracle

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phisch21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2007 at 10:35am
Originally posted by DanW DanW wrote:

Don't complain if there's something you don't like - do something about it. For too long everyone in this country has been happy to moan about what they don't like rather than getting up and doing something about it.

Apathy rules.

I agree, but voting for a candidate I do not support is not going to solve that?
Jenny View Drop Down
Chalfont Star
Chalfont Star

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jenny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2007 at 10:39am
Originally posted by phisch21 phisch21 wrote:

I simply stated that I would not wish to vote for any of the candidates who are standing as I understand their policies and those of the parties they represent.

These are Local Elections, so therefore before dismissing all the candidates shouldn't you find out what their LOCAL policies are?

Also, Dan is right the people who are on the Local Council are busy people who work and have families. Take for example a local member who is stepping down.

He runs his own business has 2 children under the age of 5 and is involved with his local sports club yet he found time to stand and to try and make a difference.

We can all say I am too busy, let someone else do it. Then people complain that there is no one to vote for, so don't vote. Then they complain that the people who did get in aren't pursueing policies they agree with.

So, No I don't think you have the right to complain if you don't at least vote. If you are unhappy about the situation DO something about it, don't expect someone else to!
No one really cares if you are miserable so you might was well be happy. (Cynthia Nelms)
Malc London View Drop Down
Chalfont Snapper
Chalfont Snapper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Malc London Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2007 at 10:39am
Is it the candidate or the party you have a problem with? Given the policies of the candidates, I can't see why anyone should have cause for complaint. It's not like they are sending our soldiers to war in Iraq.

Chalfont Snapper
Chalfont Snapper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Malc London Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2007 at 10:40am
Originally posted by Jenny Jenny wrote:

These are Local Elections, so therefore before dismissing all the candidates shouldn't you find out what their LOCAL policies are?

Clap Beat me to it.

Chalfont Snapper
Chalfont Snapper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Malc London Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2007 at 10:50am
Originally posted by rob rob wrote:

whats the point, there are only conservatives to vote for.

Not true. Lib Dems are contesting each ward as well as the Conservatives and a Green party candidate is contesting Central.

DanW View Drop Down
Chalfont Admin
Chalfont Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DanW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2007 at 10:53am

Chiltern District Council candidates

Central
Anthony Abbott The Green Party
Geoffrey Duncalf Liberal Democrats
Geoff Peters Conservative Party
John Warder Conservative Party

Chalfont Common
David Meacock Conservative Party
Linda Smith Conservative Party
Peter Nowell Liberal Democrats

Austenwood
Christina Michael Liberal Democrats
John Werthem Conservative Party

Gold Hill
Isobel Darby Conservative Party
Timothy Starkey Liberal Democrats

I used to be with it. But then they changed what it was. Now what I'm with isn't it, and what's it seems scary and weird.
Guests View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2007 at 11:39am
If i cant vote for the reds, im not voting.
Jenny View Drop Down
Chalfont Star
Chalfont Star

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jenny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2007 at 11:43am
Well that's really mature and helpful. So if the Local Council make changes in the village you aren't going to complain? Because, no vote, no voice. I can't see that happening.

If you wanted a Labour candidate (or one whose policies you agree with) why didn't you stand? Or even write to the Labour Party and ask why they are not putting forward a candidate for this Ward?

Again you want something for nothing. You want a Labour candidate, but I bet you never volunteered your services to the local Labour Party, so they could have the local resources to put up a candidate.
No one really cares if you are miserable so you might was well be happy. (Cynthia Nelms)
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 10>