Forum Home Forum Home > Chalfont St Peter > News and Gossip
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

The Crown, CSG shut.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Chalfontonian
Chalfontonian

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brewski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: The Crown, CSG shut.
    Posted: 15 July 2013 at 1:40pm
Not one of my favourite pubs in CSG but noticed yesterday at the CSG beer festival it is now closed.

Such a shame to see another pub close, hopefully it will re-open as another pub/restaurant and not one of the coffee chain shops!
Too many laws...
Too few examples...
Sponsored Links

oldchris View Drop Down
Chalfont Oracle
Chalfont Oracle

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldchris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 July 2013 at 2:31pm
Originally posted by brewski brewski wrote:

Not one of my favourite pubs in CSG but noticed yesterday at the CSG beer festival it is now closed.

Such a shame to see another pub close, hopefully it will re-open as another pub/restaurant and not one of the coffee chain shops!

Pubs are going all the time now, 2 in amersham i noticed as well.
stop HS2.
brewski View Drop Down
Chalfontonian
Chalfontonian

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brewski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 July 2013 at 5:01pm
Use them or lose them!

Simples!
Too many laws...
Too few examples...
Malc London View Drop Down
Chalfont Snapper
Chalfont Snapper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Malc London Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 July 2013 at 6:16pm
I went to go there Saturday with some friends as I had had a good meal previously and thought it one of the best restaurants in the area. Bit shocked to see it closed. I think it happened very suddenly, there are drinks still on the counter.

Such a shame, just glad I wasn't half way through a meal when it happened.

Russian Roulette was good too and that closed.

Garry View Drop Down
Villager
Villager

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Garry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 July 2013 at 7:34pm
We was invited by Guy Bradley (Crown landlord) for farewell drinks at the Crown on Saturday 6 July as it was Guy's final day, he had been losing money for nearly 3 years until enough is enough.

I would ask you this question, when was the last time any one of you went into your local pub and then returned to that local venue, answer this question to yourself and you will have the answer.
The expectancy of a pub now is incredible, they are meant to serve 'Top Chefs' quality food at transport cafe prices, oh, please don not tip the barmaid for waiting on you neither, because it is only a pub.
Also stock wines, lagers and real ales for every individuals taste, supply free entertainment, and when the local pub has achieved this miracle, the pub must charge supermarket prices.

There is a simple answer to all this, go to the supermarket i.e. Tesco's (currently circling & hovering over Punch Taverns and Enterprise Inns)and purchase the wines and beers and spirits and pre-load at home.
Then proceed to your local pub buy one drink (because you are now pretty full), complain about the price and the food and the free entertainment, and when the pub has gone show shock, horror and surprise.

Sorry about sounding facetious, but have been on that side of the fence with relatively successful pubs and have seen first hand the growing problems thrown at the pub trade over the past 10 years, and it aint getting any better neither.
Most people, appear to me anyway, to have made up their minds already, let the pubs go, oh, shock, horror and surprise, they will and indeed they are.
oldchris View Drop Down
Chalfont Oracle
Chalfont Oracle

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldchris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 July 2013 at 8:03pm
Originally posted by brewski brewski wrote:

Use them or lose them!

Simples!
If you can afford to.
stop HS2.
Walrus View Drop Down
Chalfontonian
Chalfontonian

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Walrus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 July 2013 at 8:15pm
I live in st Giles and regularly went to the crown (probably once a month). I liked the food and found it well priced. Also chatted to Guy quite a lot and was surprised when he said he was closing as working 80 hours a week with no reward is not good.

I used To go to the merlins but I find the atmosphere hostile and the beer is sometimes poor.

The white hart's food is microwave stuff, but the atmosphere is nice.
Is back in the game! :)
brewski View Drop Down
Chalfontonian
Chalfontonian

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brewski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 July 2013 at 8:49pm
I use most of the pubs in CSP and CSG on a regular basis.

The Fox & Hounds & The Miltons Arms are great for food and service.

The Feathers is a great little pub with good weekend live entertainment and The Merlins has a very nice beer garden.

The Wagon in CSP is also a nice, friendly local and the new landlord and his mrs are working hard to get the punters in with good value pub-grub and live entertainment.

Another local pub with a pretty beer garden with friendly staff is The Three Oaks.
Does a good food menu and always very busy on a Sunday.

The White Hart is probably the best pub for watching live sports because of the atmosphere and if you like a cheap pint in the daytime try The George. Happy hour all day!

Use them or lose them!!

Too many laws...
Too few examples...
Malc London View Drop Down
Chalfont Snapper
Chalfont Snapper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Malc London Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 July 2013 at 9:03pm
I fully support reducing tax on pub sales and increasing on off sales.

Having not being able to eat at the Crown, we went across to Merlins but they don't do evening food and the pub was empty. Luckily we managed to get into a pub that did food and it was packed.

I enjoy pubs but really can't afford to drink in them. It's not the pubs fault but I now only drink when eating out.
big baggles View Drop Down
Chalfont Snapper
Chalfont Snapper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote big baggles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 July 2013 at 9:06pm
take a trip to the M40 and use the weatherspoons.....
need a stella and i need one now !
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>