Forum Home Forum Home > Chalfont St Peter > News and Gossip
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

St Georges Flags

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 10>
Author
NAG Moderator
NAG Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Grovesy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 April 2007 at 3:27pm
Originally posted by J.R. J.R. wrote:

here here

ENGLISH AND PROUD OF IT.

red Ken organises a paddy's parade in London - what does St George get ?

OK - But WHAT are you proud of? Explain what the values we hold of as being English as opposed to being British or European or world citizens...what is it about being English that is so different???
"Never doubt that a small, group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."
MARGARET MEAD
Sponsored Links

moggies View Drop Down
Chalfont Star
Chalfont Star

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moggies Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 April 2007 at 3:40pm
Originally posted by Bloodsport4all Bloodsport4all wrote:

I don't just feel embarassed about being English because of hooligans.

1. Anti-social behaviour
  2. Littering
  3. NHS in crisis
  4. Pension shortfalls
  5. Fly Tipping
  6. Train turmoil
  7. Hose pipe bans
  8. Gun crime
  9. Stabbings
  10. Obesity
  11. Congested roads
  12. Kids listening to iPods in public using cr&ppy mono speakers
  13. No job security
  14. Falling school standards
  15. Prisons full
  16. Immigration shambles
  17. Pollution
  18. Vandalism
  19. General disrespect and rudeness
  20. Drunkenness

That's a quick 20 reasons and I didn't include Iraq or Jade Goody either.

What makes you think it is any different in any other country in the entire world?

Except that they don't even have an NHS, not even an over-stretched one
Except that they often don't have free education for children and therefore no educational standards to speak of whatsoever

Except that many countries don't have an immigration shambles because everybody is trying to LEAVE the country, rather than enter it. Due to civil war, ethnic cleansing, lack of food, lack of medical aid, lack of housing, famine, no economy worth mentioning....England has none of these problems for real which is why it si such an attractive country to others
Still don't know what I want to do when I grow up...
Jenny View Drop Down
Chalfont Star
Chalfont Star

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jenny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 April 2007 at 3:48pm
Originally posted by Grovesy Grovesy wrote:

Originally posted by J.R. J.R. wrote:

here here

ENGLISH AND PROUD OF IT.

red Ken organises a paddy's parade in London - what does St George get ?

OK - But WHAT are you proud of? Explain what the values we hold of as being English as opposed to being British or European or world citizens...what is it about being English that is so different???

I don't think it is necessarily values that we hold that other nations do not it is being proud of our heritage, our culture, our food etc.

You could also ask that question of the Irish. However they celebrate Irishness and no-one questions them about it.

Also I feel that we (by which I mean English people) are made to feel that being English should not be celebrated. St Patrick's Day is celebrated by the Irish (and everyone else) but most English people do not know when St George's Day is!
No one really cares if you are miserable so you might was well be happy. (Cynthia Nelms)
J.R. View Drop Down
Chalfontonian
Chalfontonian

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J.R. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 April 2007 at 4:05pm
[/QUOTE]

it's just seems that people are afraid of celebrating in case they get labelled as NF racists, poeple being told not to display St George flags etc - if those in power of soceity did the same to other creeds/ nationals then they would no doubt be labelled racist.

JR was ere
Malc London View Drop Down
Chalfont Snapper
Chalfont Snapper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Malc London Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 April 2007 at 4:09pm

It's those values which we are losing due to influences from other cultures. Values such as fair play, honesty, queuing, and politeness which were recognised by foreigners as traits of being English.

Sadly, we are now known for other reasons. However, if we can try and hold on to our culture and pass those values on, there may still be hope.

DanW View Drop Down
Chalfont Admin
Chalfont Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DanW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 April 2007 at 4:17pm
I resent people throwing at me the 'define it' argument. I do not wish to define it, it is something I feel at an emotional level and that's good enough for me.

Everyone's happy to celebrate St Patrick's Day (Why?!) but not St George's Day. A sad state of affairs when we celebrate another nations patron saint and their national day and not our own.
I used to be with it. But then they changed what it was. Now what I'm with isn't it, and what's it seems scary and weird.
jessama View Drop Down
Chalfont Oracle
Chalfont Oracle

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jessama Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 April 2007 at 4:46pm
Originally posted by big baggles big baggles wrote:

i am proud to be english, and i think we should be patriotic.....and we should support St Georges day.....

i even have GB on the back of my motor !- who needs a prsonalised registration huh  !!!

GB is NOT ENGLISH!!  The whole point of this thread is celebrating being English.  Not Scottish, not Irish, not Welsh and not all lumped together as British, which is what GB is.

Life is a balancing act
GOP
big baggles View Drop Down
Chalfont Snapper
Chalfont Snapper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote big baggles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 April 2007 at 5:25pm
Originally posted by jessama jessama wrote:

Originally posted by big baggles big baggles wrote:

i am proud to be english, and i think we should be patriotic.....and we should support St Georges day.....

i even have GB on the back of my motor !- who needs a prsonalised registration huh  !!!

GB is NOT ENGLISH!!  The whole point of this thread is celebrating being English.  Not Scottish, not Irish, not Welsh and not all lumped together as British, which is what GB is.

hang on jessama- i was only raising the GB issue as a bit of a joke, - i am proud to be british, and i fully understand the GB element is 'great britain' ,and GB, UK and english are not the same, but for those who know me my initials are GB, hence the reference to personalised number plates !- it was a joke !-  
need a stella and i need one now !
Grovesy View Drop Down
NAG Moderator
NAG Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Grovesy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 April 2007 at 5:26pm
Originally posted by Malc London Malc London wrote:

It's those values which we are losing due to influences from other cultures. Values such as fair play, honesty, queuing, and politeness which were recognised by foreigners as traits of being English.

Sadly, we are now known for other reasons. However, if we can try and hold on to our culture and pass those values on, there may still be hope.

But other countries have these values - I was in Poland last summer, and frankly I have never met such polite people in my life - despite them having to cope with drunk english idiots ruining their culture every weekend!

I think the issue is broader than other cultures 'eroding' ours, we actually have an awful lot to learn from other cultures that can enrich ours.

Dan W - I take your point about defining and emotion - I think that why I am trying to define it because I feel the emotion of patriotism - I get a lump in my throat when I hear people singing Jerusalem, or on the last night of the proms -- I'm just trying to find out why i have the emotion and what I'm being emotionally about - I don't think that is something to resent.

Mart

"Never doubt that a small, group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."
MARGARET MEAD
DanW View Drop Down
Chalfont Admin
Chalfont Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DanW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 April 2007 at 5:56pm
Yes, there's no-one nicer than the Poles...as long as you are white.

For evidence see article in the Observer, 15th April.
I used to be with it. But then they changed what it was. Now what I'm with isn't it, and what's it seems scary and weird.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 10>