Forum Home Forum Home > Chalfont St Peter > News and Gossip
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

St Georges Flags

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 10>
Author
Chalfont Star
Chalfont Star

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jenny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 April 2007 at 8:26am
Originally posted by Bloodsport4all Bloodsport4all wrote:

Fair point. Unfortunately travelling home and away to football matches during the 70's and 80's meant that I spent a lot of time with people draping themselves in the flag. You know, skinheads, NF members, that sort of thing. My faith wasn't exactly renewed after last year's World Cup with everyone putting little plastic flags on their cars either.

Yes, it's my problem and I'm trying to deal with it but I'm not particularly proud to be English. Basically, I think the majority of us are scum.

OK...., aesthetically, I do think the flags are nice.

That is one of the problems. People feel embarassed to call themselves English because they feel that that associates them with NF members, hooligans etc.

We need to reclaim Englishness as something to be proud of. Winston Churchill was English, so was Shakespeare. These are the people we should be associating Englishness (and the St George's Cross) with, not the small minority of people who think being English means you have to be a white thug and hating everyone who isn't!

(Okay I will now come down off my soap box! Wink)
No one really cares if you are miserable so you might was well be happy. (Cynthia Nelms)
Sponsored Links

Malc London View Drop Down
Chalfont Snapper
Chalfont Snapper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Malc London Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 April 2007 at 9:26am
Originally posted by Bloodsport4all Bloodsport4all wrote:

Fair point. Unfortunately travelling home and away to football matches during the 70's and 80's meant that I spent a lot of time with people draping themselves in the flag. You know, skinheads, NF members, that sort of thing.

From memory, I think the flag used at that time was the Union Jack*, not the flag of St George.

*Union Jack is acceptable term for the Union Flag, it doesn't need to be a Navy vessel.
Bloodsport4all View Drop Down
Villager
Villager

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bloodsport4all Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 April 2007 at 9:26am
I don't just feel embarassed about being English because of hooligans.

1. Anti-social behaviour
  2. Littering
  3. NHS in crisis
  4. Pension shortfalls
  5. Fly Tipping
  6. Train turmoil
  7. Hose pipe bans
  8. Gun crime
  9. Stabbings
  10. Obesity
  11. Congested roads
  12. Kids listening to iPods in public using cr&ppy mono speakers
  13. No job security
  14. Falling school standards
  15. Prisons full
  16. Immigration shambles
  17. Pollution
  18. Vandalism
  19. General disrespect and rudeness
  20. Drunkenness

That's a quick 20 reasons and I didn't include Iraq or Jade Goody either.
Jenny View Drop Down
Chalfont Star
Chalfont Star

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jenny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 April 2007 at 9:33am
However those are not just English issues they are issues for the entire British Isles (and many of them are global issues). I am talking about Englishness (as opposed to Britishness, Scottishness, Welshness, Irishness).

The Scots seems to celebrate Scottishness, as do the Welsh and Irish repectively. Why do people feel embarassed about being English?!
No one really cares if you are miserable so you might was well be happy. (Cynthia Nelms)
phisch21 View Drop Down
Chalfont Oracle
Chalfont Oracle

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phisch21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 April 2007 at 9:40am
Bloodsport4all. Do you read the Daily Mail by any chance?
Malc London View Drop Down
Chalfont Snapper
Chalfont Snapper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Malc London Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 April 2007 at 9:43am
At least we stopped fox hunting.
Rachael View Drop Down
Villager
Villager

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rachael Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 April 2007 at 12:29pm
Well i think the village looks wonderful and i think all us english folk should support St. Georges Day. I know i will be
RBWH
big baggles View Drop Down
Chalfont Snapper
Chalfont Snapper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote big baggles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 April 2007 at 2:13pm
i am proud to be english, and i think we should be patriotic.....and we should support St Georges day.....

i even have GB on the back of my motor !- who needs a prsonalised registration huh  !!!
need a stella and i need one now !
Grovesy View Drop Down
NAG Moderator
NAG Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Grovesy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 April 2007 at 3:25pm
OK - don't get me wrong here, I am proud to be British, and would consider my self reasonably patriotic...the village looks great, John & Oliver - great job - let us know when you need help taking them down and I'll gladly come and help you.

I wonder if the day of being all patriotic and nationalistic is passed.  I would be much happier celebrating the common bonds of humanity rather that us being 'English'.

Ironically St. George (who was Turkish by the way) was executed  for protecting Christians from being persecuted by the Romans - I think that is a virtue that is worth celebrating (i.e. standing up for the 'little guy' who is on the edges of the community)  instead of some nationalistic fervour 'we're so great and you're all rubbish' nonsense...

"Never doubt that a small, group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."
MARGARET MEAD
J.R. View Drop Down
Chalfontonian
Chalfontonian

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J.R. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 April 2007 at 3:25pm
here here

ENGLISH AND PROUD OF IT.

red Ken organises a paddy's parade in London - what does St George get ?
JR was ere
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 10>