FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedSnacks on a Sunday

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Chalfont Star
Chalfont Star

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Snacks on a Sunday
    Posted: 24 January 2005 at 1:33pm

(Tried to post this in the Reviewed section but I wasn't allowed..)

A friend and I were doing girls about town yesterday and went out for lunch and drinks. However, as we were both eating our Sunday roast dinner later, we just wanted some snack type nosh. We tried the Ethorpe, but they don't do their snack menu on Sundays anymore (), and we ended up in the Village Hall, which had a measly choice of two sandwiches. Does anybody know of a local place that has a sufficient snack menu (jacket potatoes, baguettes etc) that runs alongside/instead of a Sunday lunch menu (and allows children in), that we could go to in future?

Sponsored Links

DanW View Drop Down
Chalfont Admin
Chalfont Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 January 2005 at 1:36pm

You have to post in the thread 'The Village Hall'. Users cannot create new topics, this is to stop there being 20 different threads on the Village Hall.

Oh yes, the White Hart.

Emsy View Drop Down
Chalfont Star
Chalfont Star

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 January 2005 at 1:56pm

but it's not specifically a review of the Village Hall. They do a selection of main meals, it just wasn't what we were looking for. This is more of a general inquiry.

You can move it if you like, oh powerful spanners 

Eddie View Drop Down
Chalfont Star
Chalfont Star

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 January 2005 at 5:25pm
I was in the Ethorpe too yesterday Emsy . (btw , your "flower bed" needs weeding ). That place is getting stupid . Bar stools are now BANNED, so someone in for a quick drink hogs a table and that stupid no snacks rule has been taken to RIDICULOUS extremes ..NO CRISPS sold
They say Kesey's dead; But never trust a prankster;even underground.
Malc London View Drop Down
Chalfont Snapper
Chalfont Snapper

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 January 2005 at 5:50pm

I thought the Ethorpe was going downhill last time I looked about booking a table for some friends and I.

Not many places do a snack lunch on a Sunday. You could try the Harvester I suppose or failing that, there is a Chef and Brewer just on the way to Wycombe from Beaconsfield (near Tescos) who do all sorts of snacks and light lunches, (it's beside a Travelodge or similar).

The other option is to try the Cafe Rouge in GX.   

big baggles View Drop Down
Chalfont Snapper
Chalfont Snapper

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 January 2005 at 8:59am

what about the packhorse in GX , it used to do 'light bites' menus......not been in since the repaint about 6 weeks ago.....

surely they would have done some nibbles for you ?

need a stella and i need one now !
Rachael View Drop Down
Villager
Villager

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 January 2005 at 9:26am
Emsy, Dan is right White Hart also does snack meals along with the sunday roast i.e. sandwiches,baguettes,jackets,omelettes, and yes we do allow children at lunchtimes
RBWH
Malc London View Drop Down
Chalfont Snapper
Chalfont Snapper

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 January 2005 at 12:42pm

Personally I'd go for Cafe Rouge (sorry Rachael). Ideal place for a snack and a quick drink.

Shame we haven't one in CSP.

Emsy View Drop Down
Chalfont Star
Chalfont Star

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 January 2005 at 1:07pm

Thanks Rachael, I think you have the niche locally then! We'll be sure to come down next time we are out for snacks on a Sunday. I'm usually in the White Hart on Thursdays for the quiz and some evenings, but rarely during the day, hence why I wasn't aware you did snack type food, as I haven't seen it advertised when I've been in there.

Malc, I'm not sure what Cafe Rouge's position is on allowing kids in, similarly with the Packhorse (ive been told they don't allow them). I might check them out when I haven't got the littluns in tow (not mine, thus fortunately i get to give them back!). I recollect though that Cafe Rouge is quite expensive...

Eddie, thanks for the tip about the flower bed. I had noticed that it was looking a bit straggly. If you want to come round and weed it you'd be more than welcome

We live practically on the doorstep of the Ethorpe, and are very disappointed that it's stopped doing its snack menu in the evenings as well as on Sundays. We certainly don't go in there as much as we used to. And Friday night when we were in there it was pretty empty. I think it is under relatively new management (the landlady of the Ethorpe lives in our block).

I actually went in a pub near work a couple of weeks ago and it was like I'd walked straight in to the Ethorpe..I didn't realise it was a chain, and it spoiled the illusion a little..

Anyway, I'd better stop before I degenerate into reviewing in the wrong section of the forum!

Eddie View Drop Down
Chalfont Star
Chalfont Star

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 January 2005 at 6:33pm
Packhorse >>>>> NO KIDS don't even THINK about it (same for all that pathetic chain)

PS Sorry Ethorpe ..the stools are back
They say Kesey's dead; But never trust a prankster;even underground.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>