Forum Home Forum Home > Chalfont St Peter > Memory Lane
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedPub Photos

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>
Author
Chalfont Snapper
Chalfont Snapper

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 August 2005 at 3:06pm

dont like it ,now, the  ' new barbeque area' was pumping out noise( the music was distorted and inaudible) the other night, that little area was nice to sit out in on a nice evening,- IMHO totally spoiled now-

the options for al fresco drinking now are pretty much limited  to outside the village hall or the newly refurbed 3 pigs with beer garden and kids play area.....

yes i know there is a picnic bench or tow outside the poachers and the W & H, but not really a nice garden is it....

need a stella and i need one now !
Sponsored Links

rizzo View Drop Down
Villager
Villager

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 October 2005 at 6:46pm

Ive always thought the legion used to be a "taxi" garage, whatever that means. Someone should sit down with some of the "old chalfont boys" and get all this info down on tape before its too late.

Ive worked with some of them over the years and if your willing to listen they are more then willing to tell, I know that where the tile shop/ floor shop/ threshers parade is there used to be a "picture house" ( cinema to us youngsters ). Ive heard tales of young boys going to the bakers to buy bread and then going to the saturday matinee shows. Some lads liked the crust and some liked the soft insides so they would swop crusts for insides , can you imagine the scene pulling all the insides out of your loaf and swopping it for someone elses crust. No wonder they had mice !!

xpat View Drop Down
Local
Local

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 October 2005 at 8:26am

Has anybody read the book called "Chalfont St Peter A Lost Village, by Audrey Wheelband , she talkes about the village from the early 1900s,its full of infomation , the book was sent to me in about 1980

rizzo what about the old chalfont girls         & nbsp;         & nbsp;         & nbsp;      

rizzo View Drop Down
Villager
Villager

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 October 2005 at 11:50am
Thats a great little book, well worth looking at, i think they have copies in the Chalfont book shop.
Steve View Drop Down
Chalfont Snapper
Chalfont Snapper

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 February 2006 at 1:41am

Another shot of the Greyhound...

moggies View Drop Down
Chalfont Star
Chalfont Star

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 February 2006 at 11:09pm
What about the George, Steve? And are there any photos of what the pubs used to look like eg when the George was open and the Poachers was the Baker's Arms?
Still don't know what I want to do when I grow up...
Steve View Drop Down
Chalfont Snapper
Chalfont Snapper

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 February 2006 at 1:04am

hello Moggies

The George has been closed for years, as you may know it is being renovated, this has been going on for a number of years and every now and again we hear its going to open but so far nothings happened. I have not taken a photo of the pub in its boarded up state but have an old  photo which is copyright Buckinghamshire County Council and shows how it looked in the 1920's

Steve...

ArtB View Drop Down
Chalfont Snapper
Chalfont Snapper

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 February 2006 at 8:24pm

I'm not so sure that it didn't look too different in the early fifties. Except perhaps for the motor vehicles!

Art

moggies View Drop Down
Chalfont Star
Chalfont Star

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 February 2006 at 11:09pm

I see Three Valleys Water were still in the area then

I used to work at the Greyhound many years ago, cleaning in the mornings, and most of the staff slept at the George (not me). I do remember going in when it was last open and can't believe ow long its taking to re-open!

Still don't know what I want to do when I grow up...
Colin View Drop Down
Local
Local

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 February 2006 at 10:49pm

Once again, some great pics from Steve.

I think I remember staggering home from each of these pubs at least once. Especially the Jolly Farmer. I also remember asking the bar manager at the Greyhound, to have a drink with me one day, as it was my 18th. I dont't recall his exact words, but he was a bit shocked, as I had been drinking there for over a year.

I also remember delivering milk to Anvil Cottage, when I helped Mick Eaton on his round at the weekends circa 1974

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>