Forum Description: News and info on whats up in Chalfont St Peter
URL: https://www.chalfontstpeter.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=8727
Printed Date: 18 April 2024 at 10:23pm
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 12.06 - https://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Parking restrictions
Posted By: Sunray
Subject: Parking restrictions
Date Posted: 23 February 2021 at 9:38am
New parking restrictions are in place along "Lower Road", between 10.00am and 4.00pm parking limited to 2 hours, and there are far less parking bays, it will significantly help the traffic flow along there.

-------------
Sunray

Replies:
Posted By: brewski
Date Posted: 23 February 2021 at 4:39pm
And surrounding roads without parking restrictions will take the hit!

-------------
Too many laws...
Too few examples...

Posted By: EmmaO
Date Posted: 24 February 2021 at 10:33am
Fantastic work by Anne Marie and Tony who have worked for 3 years plus to get restrictions put in place. I believe there are additional lines going in around Orchard Grove and The Vale too? Hopefully the office staff will now (when they are back) park in the village car parks and walk to the office as it was primarily them that was causing an issue. Sadly if they park in other roads those residents will have to go through the same process that Croft Road and Lower Road residents have had to go through. Massive thanks to all those who worked to make this happen.

-------------
The artist formerly known as Bobblehead :)

Posted By: AlpinaB5
Date Posted: 24 February 2021 at 9:00pm
Is there a park and ride system in place too? I often see the bus ferrying from the offices to (I assume) somewhere in the Chalfont Park area. There’s no reason for them to park in the village at all if so, and maybe the employers need to emphasise the point to their staff.

Posted By: brewski
Date Posted: 25 February 2021 at 6:38am
Originally posted by AlpinaB5 AlpinaB5 wrote:

Is there a park and ride system in place too? I often see the bus ferrying from the offices to (I assume) somewhere in the Chalfont Park area. There’s no reason for them to park in the village at all if so, and maybe the employers need to emphasise the point to their staff.

I believe it picks up staff near Costa's in GX.

-------------
Too many laws...
Too few examples...

Posted By: Malc London
Date Posted: 23 March 2021 at 4:26pm
People who work in the village have every right to park in the village. 

The workers bring much needed revenue to the shops and restaurants in the village. 

Date Posted: 28 March 2021 at 2:47pm
I do agree Malc London and they can park in the car parks available to them, use the park and ride, park sensibly on street. They do not have the right to park how and where they like though! It's a shame they couldn't park sensibly on the roads in the first place but they were just so selfish, blocking driveways, parking right up to the edge of driveways and then opposite driveways so it was actually impossible to get your car off the drive, all over the pavements, etc.

-------------

Posted By: ArtB
Date Posted: 29 March 2021 at 6:54pm
The problem is what causes them to want to park 'there' in the first place. Poor long term planning by local authorities (and the government), local authorities without the ability to say NO. Planning policies that escalate house prices. New estates with insufficient parking on the basis that if you restrict parking then cycling, walking, car sharing, etc. will be encouraged. One day they'll realise that urbanisation is not needed, sustainable communities are. 

-------------
*** If you're not part of the solution, you may be part of the problem!

Posted By: AlpinaB5
Date Posted: 30 March 2021 at 6:54pm
If an employer provides a park and ride system there is obviously a good reason and so employees should use it. The reason is clearly to prevent them from taking up many spaces available to local residents. It would not surprise me if it was part of the planning permission to build the offices in the first place. It’s just common sense and it is irrelevant if they buy sandwiches for lunch locally. They were obviously causing a serious problem on Lower Road and fortunately it’s now been resolved. I know some of the employees and I doubt they will boycott the sandwich shops because they have to use the P&R. Onwards and upwards.

Posted By: Malc London
Date Posted: 04 April 2021 at 1:50pm
If you could save £900 per year by parking on the street, would you do so? The yellow lines will just more the traffic to other local roads. 

Date Posted: 11 April 2021 at 4:13pm
Yes if I could park safely then of course I would, I worked in St Albans for a while and had to make that choice there. I agree with some parking spaces on lower road, which there still are. You can't however just do what you like because you work somewhere. A young woman parked half over my drive all day. Of course when she came back I spoke to her and she said well, I was late for work so! Great, so I can't leave my house but you're ok? Another neighbour had to change her car for a small fiat as she could get her car out any day because they parked right up to her boundary both sides and then opposite her. I don't think workers to the village rights trump residents personally, we put up with it for many years until it became totally ridiculous. We tried contacting the employers directly but they didn't want to help.

The thing is, parking costs should be factored in when you take a job, you allow for petrol, train fares, etc. parking is no different. They can also use the free park and ride or the free parking elsewhere but they don't have carte blanche to do what they like imho.

-------------

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.06 - https://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2023 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net