Forum Description: News and info on whats up in Chalfont St Peter
URL: https://www.chalfontstpeter.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=8616
Printed Date: 28 March 2024 at 6:08pm
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 12.06 - https://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Woman asking for bus fare in GX
Posted By: ribeye
Subject: Woman asking for bus fare in GX
Date Posted: 21 September 2019 at 2:59pm
Just come back from GX where an older woman stopped me at the crossing by the railway bridge and said she needed her bus fare home.. She seemed genuinely lost and so I gave her some money.. only to see her approach someone else after.. now I am thinking I have been conned.. anyone else had this?

Replies:
Posted By: MV Owner
Date Posted: 22 September 2019 at 12:44am
This is the first time I have heard of this in GX and who knows whether you have been conned.

What I would say is that if an older woman approached me and said she needed some money for the bus fare home there is no way in the world I would not give her the money and I would have gone to a cashpoint if I didnt have the money.  I would have done exactly what you did and I believe most people are genuine people, maybe she wasnt but I couldnt walk away and not help.

Maybe she did con you but if you had walked away without giving her money you may have felt guilty for some time.  I know I would have and in all fairness, maybe she did need the money

Posted By: EmmaO
Date Posted: 22 September 2019 at 9:34am
Sorry but yes you’ve been conned. There have been several spates of this around the station (by a couple of con artists ) over the last 5 years and last year (maybe year before) a young gentleman around Tesco and Waitrose car parks, nicely spoken, etc asking for the train fare after his wallet was taken. It’s very sad but I think you did the right thing, kind of you to help and don’t change!! As MV said, maybe there’s an outside chance the lady was genuine and I’d always help if I could too, otherwise I too would worry she was ok.

-------------
The artist formerly known as Bobblehead :)

Posted By: Mal Content
Date Posted: 23 September 2019 at 5:58pm

I am sorry if this raised a pessimistic chuckle with me, but yes you have been conned a treat and you have been taught a lesson. I don’t know how much you gave, but multiply it by say 20, and you can see that a couple of hours ‘work’ nets a tidy sum. Also, whatever you gave has bought experience, which is cheap at any price. 

The cynical operator manipulates your kindness for their own end, destroying your faith in the process. The actual cost here is low, but you have now learned that you are vulnerable and can add this experience to your life. There are scammers about who will bleed you dry without remorse. I am not saying that you should not show empathy and consideration, but offer non-monetary assistance and see where it gets you. 

‘Lost / stolen wallet? Let’s call the police’ which will be swiftly followed by ’Oh, I don’t want to trouble them.’ (Don’t want the police anywhere near this)

‘Tell you what, I’ll run you home; what’s your address?’  Response ‘Oh I don’t want to put you out…etc’ (Don’t want to give you my details thanks)

‘Where do you live? I’ll call a taxi.’ ‘No, that would be too much for you’ (What, and abandon my car parked round the corner?)

‘What are you doing here? Perhaps if you were visiting friends I can drop you round there’ ‘No, I don’t want them to know.’ (I don’t want you to know any personal info, thanks.)

‘Let’s call one of your friends / family on my phone and perhaps they can help.’ (I am not going to give you any real details under any circumstances)

If someone was really stuck, they would accept any real offer of assistance to get home. There are plenty of ways of helping without handing over your hard earned. Try those first and you will soon find out the genuine person.

-------------
Floreat

Posted By: MV Owner
Date Posted: 24 September 2019 at 10:09am
what I would say Ribeye is you can never know for sure if you have been conned.  Clearly people think you have been but no one really knows

Posted By: ribeye
Date Posted: 02 October 2019 at 11:41am
Well thank you all for  your responses.. as you say I don't think it is a regular thing around this area which is probably why I was unsure.. 

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.06 - https://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2023 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net