Forum Description: News and info on whats up in Chalfont St Peter
URL: https://www.chalfontstpeter.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=8556
Printed Date: 19 March 2024 at 3:53am
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 12.06 - https://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Hornhill Road closures
Posted By: Piglet
Subject: Hornhill Road closures
Date Posted: 04 January 2019 at 7:15pm
I've seen the signs on my way to work saying that Hornhill Road will be closed from 7th to 18th January 2019.  Usually these road closures tend to start after the rush hour, but the signs don't say anything about the times of closure......does anyone have any inside info or know how to find out?

Replies:
Posted By: MV Owner
Date Posted: 05 January 2019 at 8:48am
apparently the road closure is due to HS2, thats all I know

Posted By: AndyM
Date Posted: 05 January 2019 at 9:15am
The road is completely closed from the 7th to the 18th of January. No access at all during those dates.

A member on the CSP Facebook group scanned the leaflet and I've uploaded it here

https://imgur.com/a/xgpRIKQ" rel="nofollow - https://imgur.com/a/xgpRIKQ

Hope this helps

Date Posted: 05 January 2019 at 9:32am
Thanks Andy, appreciated and welcome to the forum

If they do what the leaflet says then they will be welcomed changes to the road

Posted By: Paul_G
Date Posted: 08 January 2019 at 5:28pm
Tried to get back from Maple Cross to CSP with hot fish and chips last night along Hornhill Rd.  Closed above all the speed bumps. NO OBVIOUS NOTIFICATION lower down into Maple Cross. Had to backtrack and detour via Newlands. Result:  Warm fish and chips.  Thanks, HS Poo.

Date Posted: 08 January 2019 at 5:32pm
I share your frustration Paul G - the leaflet kindly posted on the forum says closures are between 7 a.m and 6 p.m.  I went that way at 6:45 p.m last night and no way of getting through.  Surely it's not difficult to get stuff like that right and put in proper processes?  Actually, second thoughts, it clearly is!!

Posted By: MrsG
Date Posted: 09 January 2019 at 10:29pm
It does say on leaflet that after the hours of work plus one hour either side for setting up and packing away that the road will remain closed for safety reasons . 

Posted By: allotmentman
Date Posted: 18 January 2019 at 1:15pm
Does anyone know if it has been re-opened yet.

Date Posted: 18 January 2019 at 1:45pm
I don't know - probably not because the flyer says until 18th Jan.  I'm fully expecting it to be open tomorrow when I want to go that way!  It's been such a pain with it closed, my journey to and from work has been horrible!

Date Posted: 18 January 2019 at 4:50pm
I have just spoke to one of the workmen assigned to blocking the road.  He thinks it will be open from 10pm tonight

Date Posted: 19 January 2019 at 10:12am
Yes, it was open this morning......and they took two weeks to do that???!

Date Posted: 19 January 2019 at 3:23pm
What had they actually done then Piglet

Posted By: fitzy
Date Posted: 20 January 2019 at 11:27am
You have to marvel at the quality of the craftsmanship of the workers!!

Date Posted: 20 January 2019 at 3:08pm
what has actually been done?

Posted By: watsy
Date Posted: 20 January 2019 at 3:53pm
It is the road past HS2 access (from CSP) which has been sort of widened.  A gully has been put in where the original road ended (I think) and another 50cm or so dug out on one side and concreted down to Maple Cross, though not all the way down.  

Why have they done this? I thought the temporary road they've built directly onto the M25 was supposed to handle the HS2 traffic?

Posted By: big baggles
Date Posted: 21 January 2019 at 11:04am
i have a pal working on the hs2 site in euston.....

nearly a square mile of euston will have construction work going on to create the terminus....

every day there is a site daily /safety briefing for all contractors, 1 hour in duration... the briefing covers topics like site safety, vehicle movements, and site facilities ( and the flavour of the soup of the day in the canteen )
once you have been site inducted and had your daily briefing you can go do physical work....

sad thing is you have to do a daily briefing for every single day you are on site.....1 hour every day of non productive  time... at its height there is thought to be 2500 people daily working there...

so 2500 lost productive hours daily ...!    no wonder hs2 is costly and i am sure it wont be on budget...

so 2 weeks to shut a road and throw concrete into the gully i think is fairly good...lol... they probably had daily briefings too !

-------------
need a stella and i need one now !

Posted By: brewski
Date Posted: 21 January 2019 at 3:16pm
Originally posted by watsy watsy wrote:

It is the road past HS2 access (from CSP) which has been sort of widened.  A gully has been put in where the original road ended (I think) and another 50cm or so dug out on one side and concreted down to Maple Cross, though not all the way down.  

Why have they done this? I thought the temporary road they've built directly onto the M25 was supposed to handle the HS2 traffic?

Anything to do with the new (proposed!) Service station?🤔

-------------
Too many laws...
Too few examples...

Posted By: allotmentman
Date Posted: 21 January 2019 at 9:00pm
To carry on the HS2 thread.

I see they are now planning to drop the trains from 18 an hour down to 14, and dropping the speed.

I seem to remember a meeting at CSP community hall a few years ago where an expert on rail travel pulled apart the business case..

The plan was for something like 18 trains to justify the expense of building it.
She pointed out that no, I repeat NO high speed line anywhere in the world does more than 14 trains a hour currently.

If the Japanesse/germans/french etc cannot run more than 14 how are we going to manage it.

I also think that the dutch high speed network was going bankrupt a while back

Posted By: GXCSP
Date Posted: 22 January 2019 at 7:29am
HS2 is not about speed. Never was, never will be. It just happens to be a by-product of installing a new railway. It's all about capacity and we desperately need increased capacity, on a number of levels.

Posted By: ArtB
Date Posted: 22 January 2019 at 11:06am
Originally posted by GXCSP GXCSP wrote:

.... It's all about capacity and we desperately need increased capacity, on a number of levels.

Unfortunately we're not smart enough to reduce the demand! All that increasing the capacity will do is increase the demand which means we will soon run out of capacity.... again, vicious circle.

-------------
*** If you're not part of the solution, you may be part of the problem!

Posted By: watsy
Date Posted: 22 January 2019 at 12:05pm
I accept the increased demand, but I would back it wholeheartedly if it connected with HS1 straight through to Europe, Heathow Airport, Birmingham Airport and then Manchester Airport making them all hubs and spreading air traffic around.

I also think instead of Bucks CC lobbying hard against the project and wasting taxpayers cash, they should have lobbied for a station at Aylesbury - huge boon for the town which is gridlocked (as are most places at rush hour) and is still expanding fast, and thus also relieve some capacity for the standard Aylesbury line via Amersham which is full most of the time (i believe from my commuter friends).  

I did suspect when the rumours of a garden city for GX / CSP were mooted by Nick Clegg that they'd build a stop for it here.  https://www.bucksfreepress.co.uk/NEWS/10950985.County_council_pledges_to_fight_garden_city_plan_after_Gerrards_Cross_rumours/?ref=rss " rel="nofollow - https://www.bucksfreepress.co.uk/NEWS/10950985.County_council_pledges_to_fight_garden_city_plan_after_Gerrards_Cross_rumours/?ref=rss  ;

Posted By: Sunray
Date Posted: 22 January 2019 at 12:18pm
If HS2 is only about capacity why don't they reinstate the 2 lines up the existing route from Marylebone through GX to Birmingham, the lines were removed about 30 years ago but the track bed, bridges, etc are all still in place, whilst it would be slower than HS2, it would give the capacity and be billions of £s cheaper.

-------------
Sunray

Posted By: dogwalker
Date Posted: 22 January 2019 at 1:49pm
There was a proposal to reinstall the 2nd track for freight use only over ten years ago but it was objected to by many people for the noise of freight trains. Then there was the issue of Marylebone being too small to cope with the additional traffic. Quite frankly the transport planning is not fit for purpose.

Posted By: GXCSP
Date Posted: 22 January 2019 at 5:17pm
I saw plans to connect it to HS1 but they were removed as the government needed them to reduce costs.

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.06 - https://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2023 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net