What do u do about a yapping dog??

Printed From: Chalfont St Peter
Category: Chalfont St Peter
Forum Name: News and Gossip
Forum Description: News and info on whats up in Chalfont St Peter
URL: https://www.chalfontstpeter.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=7943
Printed Date: 23 April 2024 at 11:05am
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 12.06 - https://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: What do u do about a yapping dog??
Posted By: MV Owner
Subject: What do u do about a yapping dog??
Date Posted: 25 June 2015 at 10:26am
Friends,

I live on the Winkers side of the village just off Joiners Lane.

In or around 'The Drive' or 'Joiners Way' (which are both roads that come off of Joiners Lane) there is a yapping dog.  The owners leave it out in the garden for prolonged periods where it yaps, yaps and then yaps more.

Can I ask what the general thoughts are on how to deal with this as it is getting beyond a joke.  Whilst I know dogs bark, there appears to be no attempts to calm him down.

Cheers

MV

Replies:
Posted By: EmmaO
Date Posted: 25 June 2015 at 2:09pm
Hello! I feel for you. I have a puppy and it is hard work stopping her from barking but we are getting there with consistent training! Because, like you I'd find it intolerable to have a barking dog near me all the time. Are the owners approachable? I have a friend who had no idea her dog was barking all day till her neighbour told her as she was out at work, she was horrified and took action immediately. Maybe you could head over there in a calm way and say 'look, I don't know if you are aware but the dog is barking constantly and it's really causing us stress' are they the kind that might respond? If they are approachable there is an excellent and inexpensive dog trainer locally called Regan on 07720 773591 who might be able to help you? When I attend my next training session, Tuesday, I'll ask him if he has any tips for you too. Hopefully they read the forum and your work will be done!

-------------
The artist formerly known as Bobblehead :)

Posted By: Bucks Fizz
Date Posted: 25 June 2015 at 4:32pm
What a thoughtful post EmmaO.

Date Posted: 25 June 2015 at 6:31pm
thanks emma for your help, id be very grateful for the feedback!

Date Posted: 25 June 2015 at 7:18pm
Of course, no bother at all.

-------------

Date Posted: 28 June 2015 at 12:38pm
he was yapping again last night at about 6.30pm.  Went on for a good 15 mins

Date Posted: 29 June 2015 at 7:41pm
Hi Emma, I think you may have hit the nail on the head.  It may be the dog is left out unchecked as all today and all evening he has been dead quiet.

I have a friend who has recommended gathering evidence (logging yapping etc) before deciding what to do.  So I may in fact start to do that

Date Posted: 29 June 2015 at 8:08pm
That's a good idea because it'll help you clarify in your own mind how frequent it is and you may identify a pattern of times when the barking is worse.

But if I could be so bold as to suggest that in the first instance, if you haven't spoken to the owners before, I would leave the list at home and just try and have a chat with them. I think I'd feel a little intimidated if somebody who hadn't approached me before came armed with a list, but then that might just be me!!! I'd be just polite and very 'British' in the first instance!!! I'll see what the trainer suggests tomorrow as well.

-------------

Posted By: Walrus
Date Posted: 30 June 2015 at 8:54pm
You can complain to Chiltern district council environmental health team. They then have to investigate and resolve for you.

-------------
Is back in the game! :)

Date Posted: 01 July 2015 at 5:37pm
Hello! The dog trainer said this has to be dealt with via the owners. Anything you do over the fence so to speak, will make matters worse. In the first instance he recommends talking to the owners and making them aware there is a problem. If that doesn't resolve it then you should record the noise nuisance (on a phone?) and contact the CDC Environmental Health Team and they will get involved. But he stressed it is far better to try and sort these things out with a gentle approach in the first instance. Sorry I couldn't be of more help.

-------------

Date Posted: 02 July 2015 at 12:55pm
Hi Emma, that is very useful information thanks.  Very appreciated!!!!

Posted By: watsy
Date Posted: 03 July 2015 at 11:03am
Speaking of yapping dogs, we were woken and kept awake by one between 3 and 4 last night in the corner of Chalfont Common somewhere.

Date Posted: 17 July 2015 at 8:18pm
Ohhh he's off again that yapping dog,  theres now also  a larger dog so they must be 'talking'

Posted By: winger
Date Posted: 20 July 2015 at 11:18am
look on e bay little remote dog bark stopper 3-4 pounds rechargble battery jam the switch to on sit on garden table humans can't hear it but drives the dog nuts peace really peaceful love it 

Date Posted: 06 August 2015 at 6:26pm
oh dear he's barking again and has been for 20 minutes.  I think its nearly time to speak to the owner or council

Date Posted: 30 August 2015 at 9:02am
bark stopper rechargable batteries getting a pain bought a mains transformer 2 days ago  it is now 
on day and night the bark stopper peeeeeeace heaven now 

Date Posted: 01 September 2015 at 5:29pm
still peace 2 days on 24/7 

Date Posted: 02 September 2015 at 8:08am
I have recommended one of those anti-barking devices to my daughter who doesn't live around here but has the same problem with a neighbour's 4 dogs (!). She's just ordered it. It's the one which looks like a bird house and is weatherproof. I do hope it works for her too.

Date Posted: 11 September 2015 at 11:32am
still peace just jam switch to on 9v power supply in a tupperware box small hole to let sound out point it forget it

Date Posted: 11 September 2015 at 5:30pm
Actually, this didn't work for my daughter as there's a high fence between her and the offending yappers next door. The signal doesn't penetrate the wooden fence and it would be difficult for her to site it high up and angle it downwards without the neighbours noticing. She has no wish to antagonise them.

She's bought a dog whistle, though. This seems to work, albeit that she can hear it herself and it hurts her ears too. She's now planning to move house. She's tried the polite approach to the neighbours but they are a large traveller family who have been housed in a large house purchased for them privately by the local authority. The neighbours don't allow their dogs indoors so they are outside barking 24/7.

Sadly, the whistle does not work on the neighbour's pre-school children who are also locked out most of the day and have the endearing habit of greeting all passers by (inappropriately) with the greeting 'you n*gger'!

Date Posted: 05 November 2015 at 8:34pm
OK the owners of the yapping dog have left him out yapping for around 30 mins now.

There are two issues here, the noise to other neighbours and additionally the welfare of the dog (especially during the firework season).

The dog is yapping from a back garden in 'The Drive' just off Joiners Lane.  If anyone else is effected by this please post here and I will use it as potential supporting evidence to the council.

Cheers

MV

Posted By: Hugh G Rection
Date Posted: 12 December 2015 at 10:43pm
MV owner...how is the yapping dog situation? Has is stopped at the same time as the dogs mess problem? Were the 2 problems linked? Or was it just the usual inconsiderate dog owners that were the only link..
The other day I was feeding the ducks with my daughters at black park...suddenly 2 labradors ran out out nowhere and lept into the water...which of course frightened all the ducks off
..leaving my daughters upset with a couple of slices of bread in their hands but no ducks left to feed...of course the half witted dog owner came walking over grinning saying "Oh they are harmless"...why do dog owners have a complete disregard of other people's lives when their dogs are involved...i was very close to taking him to the cleaners but lucky for him my kids were there and I had to maintain a certain amount of decorum...anyway I do hope you have succeeded in solving the problem.

Date Posted: 13 December 2015 at 2:34pm
Hugh G Recton,

I have been considering your post overnight and have concluded that you are maybe trying to cohearse me into some sort of anti-dog owner rant.  For the record, I don't have any problems with dog owners, but I do with ones that do not consider others.   I would suggest most dog owners are considerate.

I am also wondering whether your online name is some sort of naughty play on words.

Perhaps you could take a wander to the establishment that some have said is above the George.  I have tried on a number of occasions to obtain a price list and perhaps you are a regular and could therefore publish the written and unwritten prices of any services provided by such an establishment.

Posted By: Dave-R
Date Posted: 15 December 2015 at 11:13pm
Really? I thought Hugh G Rection was his real name.

Date Posted: 16 December 2015 at 12:15pm
I don't know Dave-R, I am mightily confused to be honest.  I believe he has a parking space at the George

Date Posted: 05 April 2016 at 7:28pm
its back, the dogs barking again.  Apparently a number of neighbours are also annoyed with the owners

Posted By: hissing sid
Date Posted: 05 April 2016 at 8:06pm
Need to buy new battery's for your anti-dog yapping machine

-------------
Hissing Sid

It's a free country, adopt whatever PC stance you want. Just don't tell me which stance I should take just because it clashes with your opinion.

Date Posted: 05 April 2016 at 8:26pm
or perhaps the owners could stop the dog yapping

Date Posted: 05 April 2016 at 9:02pm
I have a similar issue with a wailing cat that positions itself outside my bedroom window most evenings. Anyone with any advice in how to deal with this issue without being done by RSPCA would be appreciated. Perhaps I should buy a dog?

Date Posted: 05 April 2016 at 9:33pm
Can you not push the cat off the window ledge Hugh or alternatively hang around by my house, identify the yapping dog and steal it.  This would prevent you having to shell out £50 for a dog

Posted By: Dave-R
Date Posted: 05 April 2016 at 11:25pm
Originally posted by Hugh G Rection Hugh G Rection wrote:

I have a similar issue with a wailing cat that positions itself outside my bedroom window most evenings. Anyone with any advice in how to deal with this issue without being done by RSPCA would be appreciated. Perhaps I should buy a dog?

Buy a water pistol, squirt the cat with it when he does it. It wont take long and he ll learn not to do it. Its a good effective method and its not cruel. Its what a vet recommended to me when my cat was coming into my bedroom at 3-4am every night and screaming its head off.

Posted By: lesleyr
Date Posted: 05 April 2016 at 11:26pm
A friend of mine gave me a really good tip once , when a cat began to use our front garden as a toilet. We cut lots of twigs about 4-5 inches long and put them in the ground sticking out by about 2 inches in patches of about 10-12 inches by about 3-4 inches then sprinkle pepper all over them and just keep sprinkling the pepper until they stop coming back. The twigs don't actually hurt the cat but combined with the pepper they don't like it and find somewhere else to go. Maybe it would work for a wailing cat as well !!

Date Posted: 06 April 2016 at 12:26pm
You could just kill the cat

Date Posted: 06 April 2016 at 7:10pm
Great advice guys thanks...the other issue I have with a persistent annoying noise is something that is a little more difficult and expensive to deal with...and i guess I did say for better or for worse!

Date Posted: 17 April 2016 at 11:33am
oh god that dog is yapping again.  might have to report owners to the council

Date Posted: 05 May 2016 at 9:26pm
hes been yapping again but the house has now been identified.........

Date Posted: 06 May 2016 at 6:17pm
Crickey!!! All this time and only now you know where it lives? Is it very close?

-------------

Date Posted: 06 May 2016 at 8:46pm
A house just off Joiners Lane

Date Posted: 06 May 2016 at 9:00pm
on a corner

Posted By: Second Shot
Date Posted: 08 May 2016 at 11:35pm
If you live anywhere near School Lane then you will hear a dog barking all day every day, thank goodness I don't live next door!!!!

Date Posted: 04 June 2016 at 12:55pm
that dogs yapping again.  it would appear he is barking from a property in or around 'The Drive' or 'Joiners Way' which are both just off Joiners Lane

Date Posted: 04 June 2016 at 5:57pm
Around a month ago, you said. The house had been identified. Did this end up being a false lead?

-------------
Hissing Sid

It's a free country, adopt whatever PC stance you want. Just don't tell me which stance I should take just because it clashes with your opinion.

Date Posted: 16 June 2016 at 9:26pm
STOP PRESS -  EXCLUSIVE  it would appear the dog itself has been identified.  I have been told it is infact a small black dog, perhaps a pug which is often accompanied by a greyhound less barky greyhound

Date Posted: 16 June 2016 at 9:27pm
apologies for the poor english there

Date Posted: 07 July 2016 at 6:33pm
hes barking again.  I may bring this up down at the Parish Council

Date Posted: 07 July 2016 at 7:38pm
The parish council won't be able to do anything. Have you been over and spoken to the owners?

-------------

Date Posted: 07 July 2016 at 8:50pm
I believe the owners are aware Emma!

Date Posted: 07 July 2016 at 8:51pm
The reason I say that is the thread has had 6000 viewings!

Date Posted: 07 July 2016 at 8:56pm
Its still worth trying to talk to them surely? You probably know them if you've lived near to each other a long time, even just by sight.

-------------

Date Posted: 07 July 2016 at 9:44pm
Hi Emma, thanks for the suggestion, I may speak to them in due course but I have another tactic that believe it or not is beginning to work!!!

Date Posted: 18 July 2016 at 9:21pm
ahhh he is barking again.  I have been advised the owner is well known!!!!!

Posted By: big baggles
Date Posted: 22 July 2016 at 10:34am
well known as in  well known villager or well known as in a household name ?

-------------
need a stella and i need one now !

Date Posted: 22 July 2016 at 1:00pm
Well known in the village

Date Posted: 14 August 2016 at 3:47pm
he's yapping again.

Such inconsiderate owners should consider the affects that their dogs have on other people.

Posted By: GXCSP
Date Posted: 15 August 2016 at 8:48am
I wonder what the point of this thread is ?
Do you just like venting ?

Date Posted: 15 August 2016 at 11:03am
Originally posted by GXCSP GXCSP wrote:

I wonder what the point of this thread is ?
Do you just like venting ?

After doing a quick search. Seems you do your fair share of venting, yourself.

-------------
Hissing Sid

Date Posted: 15 August 2016 at 11:15am
I usually have a purpose. This is mainly just one persons gripe at a dog.

Dogs bark, that's a fact. Unless you go and confront the owner nothing will change. Updating here with every dog bark monitor report won't change a thing.

Date Posted: 15 August 2016 at 5:26pm
It is working albeit slowly.  You are clearly missing what I'm doing here GXCSP.

I completely agree, Dogs do bark and that is a fact.  People also speed in their cars and thats a fact, doesn't make it correct though

Date Posted: 15 August 2016 at 5:29pm
Bedsides, confrontation is not always the best approach......

Date Posted: 15 August 2016 at 6:02pm
So are you hoping that the owners read this forum ?

Date Posted: 15 August 2016 at 6:06pm
That hasn't crossed my mind GXSXP, but there have been over 7000 viewings of the thread so who knows.

Posted By: cspmatters
Date Posted: 22 August 2016 at 12:49pm
I FEEL YOU HAVE FAR TO MUCH TIME ON YOUR HANDS , I FEEL AFTER 7000 VIEWS YOU SHOULD  KINDLY ASK , NO HARM HEH ?

Posted By: cspmatters
Date Posted: 22 August 2016 at 12:58pm
YOU CLEARLY HAVE SOME SORT OF ISSUES WITH ANIMALS , MORE SPECIFACALLY DOGS, I THINK YOU NEED COUNCILLING ....

Date Posted: 22 August 2016 at 5:19pm
Thanks for your comments cspmatters, of course capitals are generally considered by most users as shouting.

I have no issues with animals or dogs.  Two of our neighbours in fact have dogs (one large and one small) and the owners are very considerate indeed.  They also clear up after their dogs when their dogs have fouled the footpaths.

Thanks for the advice on time management (which I'll spend in any way I see fit which includes contributing to trying to keep the village in as best condition as I can influence) and for your comments on counselling.

I do have issues though with people who do not consider the effects their actions or their pets have on other people.

Posted By: Rich Kid
Date Posted: 23 August 2016 at 11:37pm

Can someone please put an end to this boring topic ......? Please!

Date Posted: 24 August 2016 at 12:54am
If you put an end to this topic, the forum will shut down. It's about the only thing happening on here lately.

-------------
Hissing Sid

Date Posted: 24 August 2016 at 11:04am
If we can only talk about a yapping dog then sadly perhaps the forum should shut down?
I've got a cat that does his business in my garden much to my annoyance, shall I start a new topic on this? 

Date Posted: 24 August 2016 at 12:40pm
Rich Kid,

You mention your annoyance.  I assume it is not your own cat.

Of course you could start a new topic but you clearly feel it important enough to raise it here and so you should.

You could purchase some 'silent roar' which may assist you (although reviews seem to vary):-

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Silent-Roar-Lion-Manure-Repellant/dp/B0002B7OT2" rel="nofollow - https://www.amazon.co.uk/Silent-Roar-Lion-Manure-Repellant/dp/B0002B7OT2

Cheers

MV

Date Posted: 24 August 2016 at 3:14pm
Originally posted by MV Owner MV Owner wrote:

Rich Kid,

You mention your annoyance.  I assume it is not your own cat.

Of course you could start a new topic but you clearly feel it important enough to raise it here and so you should.

You could purchase some 'silent roar' which may assist you (although reviews seem to vary):-

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Silent-Roar-Lion-Manure-Repellant/dp/B0002B7OT2" rel="nofollow - https://www.amazon.co.uk/Silent-Roar-Lion-Manure-Repellant/dp/B0002B7OT2

Cheers

MV

Or buy a gun, shoot the cat then the dog. I'm probably going to get in trouble now.......oh well

-------------
Hissing Sid

Posted By: watsy
Date Posted: 24 August 2016 at 3:34pm
I could close the forum if that is what people want. 

It is August so not as many stories around maybe?  Except the village centre roadworks etc.

Since the forum was launched many years ago by Gary and take over by us, there weren't many sources of info - maybe streetlife, twitter, facebook and other methods have taken over.  The Amersham forum closed recently for the same reasons.

If I had more time I would aggregate the stories onto threads here, but not a lot else going on elsewhere either.  Also maybe reflects CSP in general, a dying village apart from feast day?

Welcome views on whether to keep or close it :-)

Posted By: Sunray
Date Posted: 24 August 2016 at 3:49pm
Definitely keep it open.

O.K. we get some threads that are only of interest to the person who submits them or just go on far too long, but we also get some key issues aired, some informative threads and a lot of sharing of guidance on local services and trades.

The Village is in a state of major change, Holycross, the Co Op, Savers, The Poachers going to a creche,The Village Hall,  I don't think it is dying just changing and as those changes occur we will need the Forum to comment upon them

I for one value it.

-------------
Sunray

Date Posted: 24 August 2016 at 3:57pm
I don't think we'd actually want to close it, no need to push the nuclear button. But stories about dog poo could possibly be done without.

I'm looking forward to hearing all about the White Brasserie on Gold Hill Common soon, I'll be going there for sure. Might bring people back to the village too, and maybe this forum.

I used to also detest the idea of the new development of the Grange, but I'm actually at peace with the thing now, I actually am seeing the benefits. More people will encourage more useful shops and possibly a decent supermarket (sorry, Co op does not count!). I see they've actually widened Market place to include a pavement which is a great great thing for the village!

Perhaps we could link all the sub forums together, I doubt we need separate ones for Holy Cross development. People who go to just one forum would be pulled into other conversations perhaps ?

Date Posted: 24 August 2016 at 4:30pm
Originally posted by Sunray Sunray wrote:

Definitely keep it open.

O.K. we get some threads that are only of interest to the person who submits them or just go on far too long, but we also get some key issues aired, some informative threads and a lot of sharing of guidance on local services and trades.

The Village is in a state of major change, Holycross, the Co Op, Savers, The Poachers going to a creche,The Village Hall,  I don't think it is dying just changing and as those changes occur we will need the Forum to comment upon them

I for one value it.

I agree with Sunray, your doing a good job. How else would I know what's going on, in my old stomping grounds.

-------------
Hissing Sid

Date Posted: 24 August 2016 at 5:53pm
Its a definate to keep the forum open,  of course I would suggest that it was never really a real request.

Cheers

MV

Date Posted: 24 August 2016 at 6:24pm
I think the key words are 'self-restraint' when hobby horses are mounted - what may be of intense interest to one person is downright boring to others when it goes on, and on, and on, and on ......

Date Posted: 24 August 2016 at 7:56pm
Basically Rich kid, he's exercising his right. It's up to you and others, weather you wish to open and read the comments.

-------------
Hissing Sid

Date Posted: 24 August 2016 at 8:31pm
N,not really, that's the way forums work in reality. Threads near the top get read, lower ones don't. So when this guy starts having a conversation with himself, he keeps resurfacing the thread and generally puts people off reading further. I did ask him a while back what his point was and got some mystical evasive answer that I still don't understand.

Posted By: Paul_G
Date Posted: 24 August 2016 at 9:34pm
Woof!

Date Posted: 27 March 2017 at 6:30pm
that dog has been yapping all day.  he is in a back garden on the junction between Joiners Way and Joiners Lane.

Date Posted: 28 March 2017 at 11:50am
Get over it. Dogs yap.

Posted By: ian
Date Posted: 28 March 2017 at 1:26pm
They only yap or bark all day if there is something wrong

Date Posted: 28 March 2017 at 1:28pm
As well as the impact on neighbours, I am also concerned about the wellfare of the dog

Date Posted: 28 March 2017 at 1:48pm
If you're concerned about the dogs welfare call the rspca......

-------------

Posted By: Sunray
Date Posted: 28 March 2017 at 3:27pm
I must say I am fed up with hearing about this yapping dog, either do something about it or put up with it. Speak to the owners, speak to the RSPCA, but don't keep going on about it, nobody else is going to do anything..

-------------
Sunray

Date Posted: 28 March 2017 at 4:47pm
You mean? The RSPCA don't read this forum.

-------------
Hissing Sid

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.06 - https://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2023 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net