Forum Description: Photos & History of Chalfont
URL: https://www.chalfontstpeter.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=7825
Printed Date: 24 April 2024 at 7:08am
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 12.06 - https://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: CSP Families from yesteryear
Posted By: Rich Kid
Subject: CSP Families from yesteryear
Date Posted: 25 November 2014 at 7:18pm
Whatever happened to the families of Swallows and Mogers who used to live in Lovel Road? 

Replies:
Posted By: hissing sid
Date Posted: 26 November 2014 at 2:51am
Swallows migrated to warmer climates

-------------
Hissing Sid

It's a free country, adopt whatever PC stance you want. Just don't tell me which stance I should take just because it clashes with your opinion.

Date Posted: 30 November 2014 at 6:57pm
Don't they come back every year to visit the same house?

Date Posted: 30 November 2014 at 8:06pm
Not when there taken over by squatters

-------------
Hissing Sid

It's a free country, adopt whatever PC stance you want. Just don't tell me which stance I should take just because it clashes with your opinion.

Posted By: Garry
Date Posted: 01 December 2014 at 4:50pm
Ray Swallow lives down the road in Chalfont St Giles, I do not know the whereabouts of his older brother and younger sister. Reg Moger still lives in Chalfont St Peter, Dave Mojger lives in Berkhampstead and I think Doreen Moger lives in Oxfordshire somewhere.

Date Posted: 16 June 2015 at 3:29pm
Do any older members on here remember Peter St Ledger? Or the Allnutts, Andrew, Christopher, (they had a sister whose name I can't remember) - their dad was a tall man who wore black-rimmed glasses and worked in the Co-op on the corner of Market Place/The Vale.

Date Posted: 16 June 2015 at 4:56pm
Used to live in Orchard Grove, maybe?

-------------
Hissing Sid

Posted By: dot poleykett
Date Posted: 18 June 2015 at 7:12pm
I'm sure it was a st, Leger that lived in Leach Croft and taught me to rollerskating. I think he was the first person I ever knew that went to university.

Date Posted: 18 June 2015 at 7:48pm
Originally posted by hissing sid hissing sid wrote:

I believe you're right. I've realised that one of the brothers was called Patrick not Christopher as I originally said, he used to run an insurance brokers office from one of the little cabins on the way down to GX rail station - who remembers them? They provided inexpensive accommodation to small businesses, one of which was a tailor who I used to alter some clothes.

Date Posted: 18 June 2015 at 7:52pm
Originally posted by dot poleykett dot poleykett wrote:

I'm sure it was a st, Leger that lived in Leach Croft and taught me to rollerskating. I think he was the first person I ever knew that went to university.
For some reason it's in my head that Peter St Ledger lived along Chesham Lane, Chalfont Common, (turn left at the junction of Monument Lane/Chesham Lane). 

Date Posted: 18 June 2015 at 8:05pm
Originally posted by Rich Kid Rich Kid wrote:

I believe you're right. I've realised that one of the brothers was called Patrick not Christopher as I originally said, he used to run an insurance brokers office from one of the little cabins on the way down to GX rail station - who remembers them? They provided inexpensive accommodation to small businesses, one of which was a tailor who I used to alter some clothes.

Patrick is correct
One of the offices was also a Taxi control office and an estate agent plus an optician if I'm not mistaken. Then there was also the public conveyance on the other side of the road

-------------
Hissing Sid

Date Posted: 18 June 2015 at 8:58pm
I remember Roy Webb used to have one of the shops but i can't remember what the business was.

Date Posted: 19 June 2015 at 12:50am
I think Roy Web, may have had the cab business

-------------
Hissing Sid

Date Posted: 19 June 2015 at 2:08pm
Roy Webb, (or was it his sister?) ran a greengrocers up on the common. She also ran a greengrocers shop in CSG just down from the bakery some years later.
I believe Roy Webb died some years ago, he was quite a hefty guy if my memory serves me well.

Date Posted: 19 June 2015 at 2:16pm
Mr and Mrs Webb senior had a greengrocers by The Handy Stores on Gold Hill, maybe Roy took it over when they retired.

s

Date Posted: 19 June 2015 at 2:25pm

Mr and Mrs Webb senior had a greengrocers by The Handy Stores on Gold Hill, maybe Roy took it over when they retired.

s

When the Handy stores was rebuilt. Roy had the green grocery store, his father had the little knick-knack store next door, that was like around the corner. Later they knocked the two stores into one.
Later, the whole lot was made into one.

-------------
Hissing Sid

Posted By: mrsk
Date Posted: 19 June 2015 at 11:14pm
Peter St Ledger I'm told lived in Denham Lane.

Date Posted: 20 June 2015 at 6:40pm
Originally posted by mrsk mrsk wrote:

Peter St Ledger I'm told lived in Denham Lane.
That sounds right. Anyone ever know what happened to him?

Also in that area, the Phipps who ran the small shop on the opposite corner to what was Baileys. Didn't Mr Phipps run John's Cafe done near what is Tesco Express?

Date Posted: 22 June 2015 at 11:39pm
Where do i remember the name Johnny Butler from in connection
with Gravel Hill?

Date Posted: 22 June 2015 at 11:43pm
Sorry i forgot to ask where was Bails stores?

Date Posted: 25 June 2015 at 11:46am
Bails was on corner of the Phygtle and Rickmansworth Lane, opposite Monument Lane. The Phipps family ran a small stop on opposite corner.
There used to be a large bomb crater in the field next to Monument Lane, before it was turned into housing.

Date Posted: 25 June 2015 at 3:03pm
Thank you Rich Kid-don't remember the bomb crater but I can place Bales now.
I think I went to school with David Phipps.
on another subject, anyone know how the Half hour pond in Leach Croft woods got its name?
I know I was always a little afraid of it as a child.

Posted By: born and bred
Date Posted: 26 June 2015 at 7:59am
The Leachcroft woods formal name is The Ashbeds. The pond you refer to has a particular story. As a youngster there was a story that at midnight a woman's arm would appear at midnight holding a sword. I have no idea how the story came about but it was passed down from generation to generation.
I spent numerous years playing on the woods and had certain landmarks in the woods,such as the fallen silver birch,the bom site and the dell.
As regards the Bails shop,I remember it well. They used to cook beetroot on the premises. They used to deliver shopping to people's houses . I went in there every Saturday morning when I was a schoolboy ,as I worked at Chalfont Motors serving petrol and checking cars oil and tyres.
Happy childhood playing days. Unfortunately nowadays the woods would be seen as a no-go area for children.

-------------
local born and bred

Date Posted: 26 June 2015 at 2:29pm
Thank you Born and bred,
I too remember hours of fun -there was a footpath that you could cut through to Welders Lane onto Jordans used to be an all day adventure.
Fell off a rope swinger over the bomb crater, broke a finger, long walk to Chalford hospital.
you are right wouldn't let the Grandchildren do it today Happy days

Date Posted: 26 June 2015 at 9:42pm
Originally posted by born and bred born and bred wrote:

when I was a schoolboy ,as I worked at Chalfont Motors serving petrol and checking cars oil and tyres.
Do you remember a guy called 'Dick' who ran a body-shop shop there, repaying cars. I remember I bought one from him but unfortunately the rust soon showed through.
Ray Ruffles worked there as a mechanic.

Date Posted: 27 June 2015 at 9:13am
Yes I remember Dick Harris. I used him for years after he left the garage trade. He had his own small holding along Denham Lane. He was a lovely guy. Sadly he died a few years ago .

-------------
local born and bred

Date Posted: 27 June 2015 at 7:20pm
Anyone remember the Gilberts who ran the Chalfont Common Post Office? I believe one of the daughters ran the ladies hairdressing shop next door.
Other names from Hillside Close - James Plested, Keith Putman, Willie Cooper, Bob Crow, Chris Miller (lived next door to Putmans), the Betts family, Jane Munday, Fergusons, the Birch family who moved to Criss Cross Grove, Christine & Noleen Hearne (had Irish parents), the Shapcott family.

Date Posted: 27 June 2015 at 7:59pm
Remember a Susan Gilbert, Christopher Birch, Jennifer Shapcott, Keith and David Putman I think they had a sister Sheila.
knew a Chris Betts but not sure where he came from.

Date Posted: 27 June 2015 at 10:45pm
Other families I think from Hillside Close-the Johnson, Sawyer, Soars and later the Coletta family who were our neighbours at Gravel Hill.

Date Posted: 28 June 2015 at 12:19pm
Brendan Birch, (lives in Aylesbury?), Paul Birch, (emigrated to Canada many moons ago), Bridie Birch (?)
The Johnsons lived across the road from the Putman's. Mr Putman used to grow mushrooms in his garage. Mr Plested used to grow tomatoes. Both used to sell them to those living in Hillside Close.

Posted By: Bucks Fizz
Date Posted: 28 June 2015 at 1:54pm
Rickmansworth Lane - opp the bottom of Monument Lane. Still referred to by locals as Bails.

Date Posted: 28 June 2015 at 2:18pm

Anyone remember the Gilberts who ran the Chalfont Common Post Office? I believe one of the daughters ran the ladies hairdressing shop next door.
Other names from Hillside Close - James Plested, Keith Putman, Willie Cooper, Bob Crow, Chris Miller (lived next door to Putmans), the Betts family, Jane Munday, Fergusons, the Birch family who moved to Criss Cross Grove, Christine & Noleen Hearne (had Irish parents), the Shapcott family.

Did my apprenticeship with Kieth Putman at Chalfont tool, churchfield road. Henry (father) was big in the " Royal ordnance of Buffalo's" ( poor mans "Free Masions ")
I remember Kathy Betts from school.
"Gilbert's " the youngest daughter of 3 used to go with Paul Carpenter ( he lived at the top of Bostgridge lane) he had a sister Ann. Paul and girlfriend used to get around in a VW caravanet, along with Bob Harmon, Cathy Gossling, Tossel & Ken Jarman.

-------------
Hissing Sid

Date Posted: 29 June 2015 at 11:08am

[Tossel & Ken Jarman.
Did Ken have a brother called Sid? Lived in Glebe Road i believe.

Date Posted: 29 June 2015 at 3:48pm

[Tossel & Ken Jarman.

Did Ken have a brother called Sid? Lived in Glebe Road i believe.

Yep, I think he was commando of sort in the army ( probably military service) built like brick s*** house as the saying goes

-------------
Hissing Sid

Date Posted: 29 June 2015 at 5:53pm
Was it ken Harmon and Sid Jąrman? Perhaps at 69 I'm a bit muddled.

Date Posted: 29 June 2015 at 6:33pm

Was it ken Harmon and Sid Jąrman? Perhaps at 69 I'm a bit muddled.

Sid Jarman was the oldest, followed by Ken. They then had a sister who was a lot younger.
Bob Harman lived just inside Leachcroft on the left. He married Kathy Goslin. Bob had an older sister, Tareser or Tracy. Unfortunately they both died young ( in there 20's). I'm sure they also had a younger brother.
Bob and Kathy had a son, I think Kathy moved on and married one of Taylor's

-------------
Hissing Sid

Date Posted: 30 June 2015 at 6:35pm
What were the names of the two sisters who lived in a house on/near the corner of Lansdown Road and Laurel Road during the mid-sixties?

Date Posted: 04 July 2015 at 10:42am
Anyone remember John Hawker or Tony Bowler who both lived in Field Way? I believe Tony's father played for CSP FC, a winger (remember them?), or an inside forward.

Posted By: Butterfly
Date Posted: 04 July 2015 at 12:18pm
Re- sisters at end of Lansdown/Laurel road - Do you mean the Williams sisters? Or the Hahns (no idea of spelling)?

Date Posted: 04 July 2015 at 12:44pm
Tony Bowler played football as a goalkeeper for local teams. He worked as an car electrician at Birks in GX
I believed he married a lovely German girl.
His elder brother Jimmy also played football. Jimmy has now died. I played with both of them . Great guys.

-------------
local born and bred

Date Posted: 04 July 2015 at 5:00pm
Originally posted by Butterfly Butterfly wrote:

Re- sisters at end of Lansdown/Laurel road - Do you mean the Williams sisters? Or the Hahns (no idea of spelling)?
As I remember them, they were both slim and had big dark hair, quite loudly spoken and outgoing, maybe it was the Hahns although that name or the other doesn't ring a bell.
I'm fairly sure they lived at the house right up in the corner of Lansdown & Laurel Road. 

Date Posted: 04 July 2015 at 5:18pm

Originally posted by Butterfly Butterfly wrote:

As I remember them, they were both slim and had big dark hair, quite loudly spoken and outgoing, maybe it was the Hahns although that name or the other doesn't ring a bell.
I'm fairly sure they lived at the house right up in the corner of Lansdown & Laurel Road. 

That would have been the Hahns.  They had long dark hair.  I believe the eldest was called Annette or Antoinette ( father was Italian) and the younger was called Aleece and her father was Mr Hahn.

Date Posted: 05 July 2015 at 11:09am
You're right Butterfly. Whatever happened to them?

Date Posted: 05 July 2015 at 3:54pm
I have no idea Rich Kid.  They used to have German Shepherd dogs that always seemed very scary to me as a kid, but I lived at the other end of Lansdown Road so didn't really mix with them when playing in the road, as we did back in the day before the road became jam packed with parked cars.

Posted By: Garry
Date Posted: 06 July 2015 at 7:16am
The Hahn,s did indeed live at the house right up in the corner of Lansdown & Laurel Road. The mother was Margaret and her husband Otto (German), the eldest girl of 3 girls was Annette, then Elise and the youngest Deborah.
The reason I know, my wife Cherie maiden name Springett lived in the white house at the very end of the road on the corner of
Lansdown & Laurel Road and her parents were good friends with the Hahn's parents, so good that my wife Cherie used to call them Auntie Margaret & Uncle Otto although they were not related.
Annette lives in Northampton, Elise lives in Hazlemere and Deborah in Chesham.
Hope that helps

Date Posted: 06 July 2015 at 1:39pm
Thank you Garry, that answers it all Smile

Posted By: Allnutt
Date Posted: 08 September 2015 at 9:02pm
Hi I am Patrick ALLNUTT ( George Patrick ) my brother Andrew and sister Judy who still lives in village.
I had Chalfont insurance consultants in station approach Gerard's cross. Next to taylor. And antique shop
L
I lived in orchard grove, others were Brian welch, Geoff peacock, Rolland Gregory, Brian rand. Please d to answer any questions.

Posted By: Angie Pitts
Date Posted: 17 May 2016 at 6:44am
I came across the grave of Roy Webb when I visited the graveyard at the top of Joiners Lane on our last visit to the UK from Australia. I was visiting the graves of my Grandparents, Bill & Edie Windsor who used to live at 22 Layters Avenue.

I have an old photo which shows Roy's father helping out at the Christmas Party for children run by the local Labour Party which was held in Kings Hall. There are so many local children in the photo (including myself and my sister - I think I would have been about 7 years old at the time). I can remember a few of the names, but the photo could be of interest to anyone who thinks they might have been in these photos or would recognise old friends.

-------------
Angie Pitts (nee Soars)

Date Posted: 17 May 2016 at 6:56am
I remember the Hahn's as Annette was in the same class as me at Old Jobs School. Also before that we both attended the Baptist Church Sunday School. I have an old photo showing us both, at about age of 5 or 6, in a concert put on by the Sunday School with another seven children in the photo. The only names of the other seven that I can remember at this time is Jimmy Lofty and Betty Goldsmith

-------------
Angie Pitts (nee Soars)

Date Posted: 17 May 2016 at 7:04am
I used to spend all my pocket money at the shop that Mrs Phipps ran which was called Butlers I think. We also bought our Guy Fawks firecrackers from there on Fireworks night. David Phipps was also a member of the Chalfont St Peter Youth Club and went to school at Old Jobs Secondary School.

-------------
Angie Pitts (nee Soars)

Date Posted: 17 May 2016 at 8:24am
I think I can name a fair amount of the children who lived in Hillside Close in the 50's & 60's as I lived there from 1946 when I was born in Chalfont Hospital until I got married in 1968 and moved to Australia. I remember that the top end of the close was always at war with us at the bottom end of the close!!

These are the ones I can name: Mary & John Johnson, Susan & Frances Sawyer, Angela Entwhistle, Karen & Anthony Wells, Carol & Jackie Morris, Peter & Willie Cooper, Christopher & Sally Chambers, Hobbs family, Michael & Selena Kedge, Angela & Carol Soars, Linda Craft, Christine & Noeline Hearn, Nula & Anne Alsey, Margaret & Richard Tomlin, Alan, Keith & Sheila Putnam, Betts Family and Plested Family.
Some of the above families have more than the children I have named but couldn't remember any more.

-------------
Angie Pitts (nee Soars)

Date Posted: 17 May 2016 at 9:12pm
.... I remember Brendan, Paul & Bridie Birch, (they moved to Criss Grove),  the Houses, the Shapcotts, the O'Connors, the Archer family .....

P.S. Whatever happened to Willie Cooper? 

Date Posted: 28 May 2016 at 4:52pm
Anyone remember John Hawker who lived in Field Way, next to the diagonal alley that came down from the hospital?
Also, Josephine Clark, the lovely daughter of the coal man who had a small coal yard alongside the alley going down to the playing fields - a house was built on the site many years ago.
I vaguely remember a muscular girl who lived in Field Way who was a very good javelin thrower - what was her name?
The Brand or was it Brandt family that lived in Penn Road - I think they had two boys.
Who was the uni-cyclist that lived in Penn Road?

Date Posted: 28 May 2016 at 11:36pm
Could the person you are thinking of be Carol Brant. I think I remember her doing something like driving ambulances.

Date Posted: 29 May 2016 at 1:15am
Is that the sister of Joan

-------------
Hissing Sid

Date Posted: 29 May 2016 at 7:15pm
Sorry I don't know I only remember Carol I think her Grandparents may have been Mr. and Mrs Church who lived in Leach Croft someone out there must know something.

Date Posted: 30 May 2016 at 10:24am
I think Carol Brant lived at the top end of Pennington Road, she was an attractive blonde if I remember correctly.
What number did you live at in Hillside Close Dot?

Date Posted: 30 May 2016 at 9:44pm
Hello Rich Kid-I didn't live in Hillside Close I lived in Leachcroft .from when they were built until 1969 when I got Married.

Date Posted: 30 May 2016 at 11:15pm
Sorry Dot, it was Angie Pitts who said she lived there. If Angie is on here may I ask the same question, what number did you live at?

Date Posted: 15 June 2016 at 4:30am
Hi Rich Kid

My family (Soars) lived at number 12 Hillside Close from time estate was built (1946?) until I got married and moved to Western Australia in 1968 then my parents left there in 1969 and moved out to live in Western Australia also.

-------------
Angie Pitts (nee Soars)

Date Posted: 15 June 2016 at 4:37am
I have a very old photo of many local children at a Labour Party children's Christmas party and I think one of the children in the photo is Carol Brant.

-------------
Angie Pitts (nee Soars)

Date Posted: 15 June 2016 at 10:12am
Hi Rich Kid I have sent Angie Pitts an email to alert her of your message I'm sure she will reply via the forum .
Dot Pole yet.

Date Posted: 22 June 2016 at 9:10pm
Does anyone know what happened to Colin and Keith Co let ta we were neighbours as children in Gravel Hill,

Date Posted: 05 July 2016 at 10:10pm
John Harris, Ray Lincoln, Ray Savage, the Windsor brothers of Leachcroft - what happened to them, anyone know? 

Posted By: Lincoln
Date Posted: 05 September 2016 at 9:14pm
Ray Lincoln is alive and well and living in Basingstoke.  He would like to know if anyone knows anything about Frank Reynolds, Mick Fox, Peter Hill or Ray Savage.

Posted By: tobic
Date Posted: 21 September 2016 at 12:14pm
Good to see you are still alive and kicking, Ray, your name conjures up a lot of memories with Ray Savage and life in the late 50's in leachcroft...............

-------------

Condoms should be used on every conceivable occasion.

Posted By: MARYO
Date Posted: 02 January 2017 at 5:34pm
Colin Coletta is married to a lovely lady named Penny and lives in Daventry.
Happy New Year.

Date Posted: 02 January 2017 at 6:37pm
Thank you Maryo-often wondered what happened to Colin and Keith we were neighbours at Gravel Hill until my family moved to Leach Croft so pleased to hear Colin is well.

Posted By: John-Boy
Date Posted: 28 December 2018 at 9:22am
I remember John Bail. He and i went to Gravel Hill Primary school ( behind Hillside Close)

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.06 - https://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2023 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net