Forum Description: Photos & History of Chalfont
URL: https://www.chalfontstpeter.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=7043
Printed Date: 19 April 2024 at 12:58am
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 12.06 - https://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Barrack yard
Posted By: Libtek
Subject: Barrack yard
Date Posted: 26 October 2012 at 1:22pm
The Bucks advertiser posted a picture of Barrack yard a few weeks ago. Does anyone know where it was? I have a feeling it was near the George Pub.It was where my father's family lived when they moved to Chalfont in the 1900s. Thanks in advance

-------------
Weekends are a bit like rainbows. They look good from a distance but disappear when you get up close to them.

Replies:
Posted By: calendergirl
Date Posted: 26 October 2012 at 1:27pm
The geroge car park...

Posted By: calendergirl
Date Posted: 26 October 2012 at 1:28pm
Sorry George...

Date Posted: 26 October 2012 at 2:58pm
Thanks very much.

-------------
Weekends are a bit like rainbows. They look good from a distance but disappear when you get up close to them.

Posted By: hissing sid
Date Posted: 29 October 2012 at 1:17pm
Just a small correction:-
If you were to walk streight down the Market Place, crossed the High Street towards the precinct keeping a little towards what was the Bakers Arms ( Poachers) . This would have been the entrance to Barrack Yard.
The entrance into the Precinct by the George pub was know as The Retreat.

-------------
Hissing Sid

It's a free country, adopt whatever PC stance you want. Just don't tell me which stance I should take just because it clashes with your opinion.

Posted By: ArtB
Date Posted: 30 October 2012 at 9:52am

So you can better picture it.

-------------
*** If you're not part of the solution, you may be part of the problem!

Posted By: Calvados Kid
Date Posted: 30 October 2012 at 4:18pm
wow that's clever    Clap

-------------
verba volant scripta manent

Posted By: Bucks Fizz
Date Posted: 31 October 2012 at 8:11am
ArtB, may I ask which map you have and where one might be obtained? I have an 1897 map, which is on the back of Godfrey's Old Ordnance Survey map of the South Ciulterns (1886), but it only covers a small portion of the village, and I'd love to have more maps of the village. Yours must be after 1920, as it shows the Memorial Hall, which was opened by Earl Beatty in 1920.

Date Posted: 31 October 2012 at 3:28pm
Thanks ArtB. That's a great map and really helpful.

-------------

Posted By: ArtB
Date Posted: 01 November 2012 at 6:48am
Originally posted by Bucks Fizz Bucks Fizz wrote:

ArtB, may I ask which map you have and where one might be obtained? I have an 1897 map, which is on the back of Godfrey's Old Ordnance Survey map of the South Ciulterns (1886), but it only covers a small portion of the village, and I'd love to have more maps of the village. Yours must be after 1920, as it shows the Memorial Hall, which was opened by Earl Beatty in 1920.

It's from a 1925 O/S map that I acquired a considerable number of years ago.

However, have a look here http://www.old-maps.co.uk/maps.html - http://www.old-maps.co.uk/maps.html  use SL9 9QQ as the postcode and scroll down the list of maps on the right hand side of the screen - 1925 - Pre WWII 1:2500 is the same. - £16 as a pdf

Art

-------------
*** If you're not part of the solution, you may be part of the problem!

Date Posted: 01 November 2012 at 7:46am
Thanks ArtB. I love old maps, and Godfreys maps cost only £3.50 each, plus they have additional information taken from censuses, street directories etc. I'll have a look at the ones on your link. Cheers.

Posted By: bgoodman
Date Posted: 26 November 2012 at 7:17pm
New to the sight. I am Trustee of Chalfont St. Peter Football Club and am currently researching the history of the club. Anything you may have or know about the club or, in particular of Mill Meadow and Welch's Farm would be most appreciated. Do you know the history of Mill Meadow before 1940. Who was Mr Mead.????

-------------
bg

Date Posted: 27 November 2012 at 5:46pm
I'll ask someone at Celfunde Inheritance - the local history & heritage group and get back to you.

Posted By: hissing sid
Date Posted: 03 December 2012 at 12:44am
Originally posted by bgoodman bgoodman wrote:

New to the sight. I am Trustee of Chalfont St. Peter Football Club and am currently researching the history of the club. Anything you may have or know about the club or, in particular of Mill Meadow and Welch's Farm would be most appreciated. Do you know the history of Mill Meadow before 1940. Who was Mr Mead.????

Mr. Mead was from Mill Farm. I believe it was a dairy farm.

-------------
Hissing Sid

It's a free country, adopt whatever PC stance you want. Just don't tell me which stance I should take just because it clashes with your opinion.

Date Posted: 04 December 2012 at 12:39pm
There was also a Mr Mead who ran the Dumbell pub at Horn Hill and who lost both his sons in The Great War. Might have been related.

Posted By: PhilDon
Date Posted: 23 April 2019 at 3:17pm
Frank Mead was also the guy who was commissioned to demolish Barrack Yard in 1938.

I think he felt rather upset or guilty about it, because he reused a good number of the bricks and timbers to build the house that I currently live in.

He also arranged for one of the wall paintings from the Cross Keys to be exhibited at the V&A

Date Posted: 23 April 2019 at 4:36pm
Ah, I hadn't realised that was the same Mr Mead. Interesting.

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.06 - https://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2023 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net