Forum Description: All posts about the developemnt of the Holy Cross site
URL: https://www.chalfontstpeter.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=6490
Printed Date: 28 March 2024 at 5:58pm
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 12.06 - https://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Call me cynical
Posted By: Chillies
Subject: Call me cynical
Date Posted: 27 September 2011 at 9:09am
I see in the new development/consulation document, apart from the ridiculous idea of another supermarket, 100m from an existing one, a cynical plan to sway the planners with the mention of the provision of cycle paths to give access to the village !!

They do know it is a village not Milton Keynes. If someone cannot ride safely around the village now they never can. It is a very sorry way to carry on and highlights the fact they are trying to be smart with the Council by pushing certain 'construction' friendly items onto the table.

-------------
www.chalfontchillies.co.uk Twitter: @chalfontchillie Facebook: chalfontchillies

Often to be seen walking his Staffie Cross and two Chihuahuas so please say hello

Replies:
Posted By: EmmaO
Date Posted: 27 September 2011 at 1:03pm
This is really tough isn't it? The problem is that something is going to be built there, planning has been granted for the other horrific scheme. I can't help but think this one is a better option for the village although as you say there are aspects of it that I don't like at all. I am worried about the supermarket. I have no loyalty to Budgens as I feel they have no loyalty to us villagers, they've expected us to buy their overpriced, in some cases poor quality goods in a shabby and dirty environment the entire time I have lived here. Now they develop it with a coffee shop and butchers and expect us all not to see that they are stepping strongly on the toes of other businesses in the village. BUT! I have great loyalty to our independants, Birrings, Judds, Crumbs, etc and I worry the effect that a new supermarket would have on them. There is an arguement that they could see increased footfall if the supermarket is a draw to the village. I suppose only time will tell. But would I rather have the arrowcroft proposal rather than the gerard eve? Yes probably.

Posted By: Exp. Interiors
Date Posted: 29 September 2011 at 12:10am
Bobblehead, I agree with you. It's a far better proposal than the existing planned development. The bottom line is that currently there are NO options other than the Gerald Eve plan.

If the JR is upheld and the Parish Council win then it's still not guaranteed that Arrowcroft will get the site. We'll have to wait and see. But as you say the Arrowcroft option is a far better one.

I've been informed that the supermarket will be a 'food only' store and will not have a cafe, so the likes of Crumbs need not worry. I too would hope that the likes of Birrings and Judds will prevail as they have loyal customers and also provide good quality produce.

Time will tell . . .

-------------
Expression Interiors Ltd -
Kitchen Design and Installation
For free quotation please call: 01753 884041
Email: nathan@expressioninteriors.co.uk

Posted By: Jonathan
Date Posted: 07 June 2013 at 3:02pm
Last night Chiltern District Council rejected the developer's application for detailed planning approval for 198 homes

-------------
Jonathan

Posted By: Anita
Date Posted: 07 June 2013 at 3:21pm
Are CDC being difficult because of the outstanding judicial review?

Posted By: Malc London
Date Posted: 10 June 2013 at 6:21pm
I'd prefer an underground station with adequate parking.

In response to Bobblehead, Budgens is nothing like you describe. The butchers a match for Judds, the bread better than the bakers, and the coffee shop as good as you can get. As for prices, they are often a match for Tesco and beat them on price on many items.

Another supermarket may hurt them, but they will have to be good.

Date Posted: 10 June 2013 at 7:02pm
We're all entitled to our opinion Malc. That's mine, you're welcome to yours! I have seen some minor improvements since the new management arrived other than the removal of the very handy car washing guys.

Date Posted: 10 June 2013 at 9:05pm
I agree that Mr Whalley was responsible in turning around Budgens to a store competing with Waitrose, M&S, Tesco and Sainsbury on a level playing field.

Without Budgens the village would be dead.

Posted By: watsy
Date Posted: 10 June 2013 at 9:37pm
Another (better) supermarket chain would buy the site and make a much better go of it. Whoever takes over is still restricted to the central purchasing guidelines of the owners Musgrave who are a small chain operator.

As a case study, look at the Budgens in Gerrards Cross - couldn't make their operation succeed when there was just one poor competitor and clearly it has transpired there was a huge potential market for them to exploit.

Date Posted: 11 June 2013 at 3:16am
I disagree, I think Budgens give their managers more leeway for enterprise than the likes of M&S etc. Would you see Sainsbury stocking and selling local produce like Budgens do?

Anyway, off topic. An underground station at Holy Cross is what's needed. We must be the only major town/village locally without transport links. GX, Denham, Amersham, Chorleywood, Rickmansworth, Croxley, even Little Chalfont have trains.

Posted By: Anita
Date Posted: 11 June 2013 at 9:10am
Malc I do wonder which village you actually live in,a tube station for goodness sake get real. Budgens in my opinion, is nowhere near the other supermarkets for price, quality and customer care.

Posted By: Dave-R
Date Posted: 11 June 2013 at 9:21am
Originally posted by Malc London Malc London wrote:

I disagree, I think Budgens give their managers more leeway for enterprise than the likes of M&S etc. Would you see Sainsbury stocking and selling local produce like Budgens do?

Anyway, off topic. An underground station at Holy Cross is what's needed. We must be the only major town/village locally without transport links. GX, Denham, Amersham, Chorleywood, Rickmansworth, Croxley, even Little Chalfont have trains.

Even little Seer Green and Jordans have a station!

Posted By: phisch21
Date Posted: 11 June 2013 at 10:03am
Not forgetting Denham Golf Club. I don't think I have ever seen anyone get on or off a train there

Posted By: Dave-R
Date Posted: 11 June 2013 at 1:11pm
You re right there, i used to use the train a lot and i often thought what is that point of this stop, no one ever uses it.

Date Posted: 11 June 2013 at 1:27pm
I've used it.

Posted By: oldchris
Date Posted: 11 June 2013 at 4:05pm
Originally posted by phisch21 phisch21 wrote:

Not forgetting Denham Golf Club. I don't think I have ever seen anyone get on or off a train there

do trains stop here.Confused

-------------
stop HS2.

Date Posted: 11 June 2013 at 4:07pm
Originally posted by Anita Anita wrote:

Malc I do wonder which village you actually live in,a tube station for goodness sake get real. Budgens in my opinion, is nowhere near the other supermarkets for price, quality and customer care.

i for one would love a extension of the central line into chalfont.

-------------
stop HS2.

Date Posted: 11 June 2013 at 4:24pm
GX station is effectively an extension to the central line - and not far depending on which side of the A413 you live

I'd like to see Chiltern Railways accept Oyster cards

Posted By: Walrus
Date Posted: 11 June 2013 at 5:52pm
Central line was originally built to denham but never ran due to the on set of ww2.

-------------
Is back in the game! :)

Date Posted: 11 June 2013 at 5:54pm

GX station is effectively an extension to the central line - and not far depending on which side of the A413 you liveI'd like to see Chiltern Railways accept Oyster cards

I'm not 100% but I think they do now....

Date Posted: 11 June 2013 at 6:08pm
They do from West and South Ruislip but not from GX as far as I can tell

Date Posted: 11 June 2013 at 10:39pm

They do from West and South Ruislip but not from GX as far as I can tell

Indeed you are correct! I have informed the person who has been using their oyster card to get on at Marylebone!! Just as well they've never been checked for a ticket. Apparently it lets you gain access to the trains! They had no idea

Date Posted: 12 June 2013 at 7:22am
Trouble is you can't sign out so Oyster will charge you the maximum fare, plus you need to get through the barrier at GX, plus if you get caught from West Ruislip onwards, you face a penalty fare.

Date Posted: 12 June 2013 at 9:15am

Trouble is you can't sign out so Oyster will charge you the maximum fare, plus you need to get through the barrier at GX, plus if you get caught from West Ruislip onwards, you face a penalty fare.

Yup all true! Apparently he hadn't even realised as whenever he has come through at GX it's been peak time and either the barriers have been open or he's just walked through the disabled one which has been open!! I suppose luckily the max fair of £8.30 isn't too different to the real fare and he's never been caught. I'm pretty sure 'I've made an honest mistake, guv' wouldn't have worked!!! He won't be doing it again!!

Posted By: Nessun Dorma
Date Posted: 14 June 2013 at 11:20pm

I'd prefer an underground station with adequate parking.

In response to Bobblehead, Budgens is nothing like you describe. The butchers a match for Judds, the bread better than the bakers, and the coffee shop as good as you can get. As for prices, they are often a match for Tesco and beat them on price on many items.

Another supermarket may hurt them, but they will have to be good.
Sorry, but I have to disagree. Budgens stock is often very poor quality and overpriced. Just this evening I needed a litre of sunflower oil and had to pay £1.45 for the value range of oil. In Tesco, it would have cost me £0.99. Milk, bread and other staples are generally fifteen or more per cent more expensive in budgens than Tesco.

While there I thought about buying some fresh fruit. All I could find was black/brown bananas, soft wrinkly apples and furry strawberries.

Date Posted: 14 June 2013 at 11:29pm

So a few years ago, i decided to take the central line home and train it from Ruislip, My All Zones would only take me to West Ruislip, I had to buy a ticket to GX, When i got to GX, There was no one checking and i just walked out....ConfusedShocked
why did i bother?

-------------
stop HS2.

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.06 - https://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2023 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net