Forum Description: Eating Out & What's On in Chalfont
URL: https://www.chalfontstpeter.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=2791
Printed Date: 20 April 2024 at 8:03am
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 12.06 - https://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Farmers’ markets
Posted By: Barn Owl
Subject: Farmers’ markets
Date Posted: 22 October 2006 at 10:57am

We've been going to the one in Beaconsfield for a while - very good - somethings are pricey, but if you shop carefully, and bearing in mind the quality, it's pretty good...4th Saturday of each month.

Also, a Farmers' market has just kicked off in GX - 2nd Wednesday of each month, I believe. It looks pretty good (and deserves support to keep it going!)

Replies:
Posted By: Garry
Date Posted: 22 October 2006 at 12:07pm
Where abouts in GX is the Farmers market located?

Date Posted: 22 October 2006 at 12:40pm
West Common, I think it's called - go through GX towards the A40, and it's just after end of the row of shops on the RHS.

Posted By: Jenny
Date Posted: 02 November 2006 at 8:50am
Dan and I went to the Beaconsfield Farmers Market last Saturday. It was excellent. We spent loads of money but I felt that all the products were priced fairly. We ended up with a 4lb gammon! (So promptly spent the entire weekend eating it).

I also bought a few bottles of wine. I thought that £5 a bottle was very reasonable and as I was able to try them before I bought them I know I have wines I like.

Dan was very pleased to be able to get proper Sourdough bread.

I would definitely recommend it.

(I really wanted to buy one of the hand weaved baskets but could not think of where I could put it in my flat!)

-------------
No one really cares if you are miserable so you might was well be happy. (Cynthia Nelms)

Date Posted: 02 November 2006 at 11:05am
Glad you liked it - we also got a gammon, and venison sausages, fabulous tomatoes, mock-parmesan cheese, and loads besides...always a good lunch after having been to the market....

Posted By: DanW
Date Posted: 02 November 2006 at 11:58am
Sounds like we bought the same things! We got the venison and redcurrant sausages, the Farmers Hand 'Italian Style Cheese' and loads of other stuff!

-------------
I used to be with it. But then they changed what it was. Now what I'm with isn't it, and what's it seems scary and weird.

Posted By: phisch21
Date Posted: 02 November 2006 at 12:10pm
I used to go there loads - haven't been for months though. I love it - especially the parmesan and the hand made crisps. Breads are good too and the apples from somewhere over Oxfordshire way.

The only thing I am not too clear on is that i thought farmer's markets were only open to local producers - ie those working in a 30 mile radius of the market. Not sure how Isle Of Wight Tomato growers qualify as locals!

Posted By: pierre
Date Posted: 05 November 2006 at 6:29pm

Originally posted by DanW DanW wrote:

the Farmers Hand 'Italian Style Cheese' !

Sorry Dan, I couldn't let that one go through without some comment...

phnark! 

-------------
Perveyor of crap knob jokes since 2007.

Posted By: jessama
Date Posted: 09 November 2006 at 2:04pm

I went to the GX Farmer's Market yesterday and very good it was.  I got lamb, sausages, bread (sourdough available DanW) and vegetables and could have got cheese, eggs and trout.

There was even a car park made available on a patch of green just past the residential home in East Common.  Sadly no crossing available to get over Packhorse Road.  

I'll be going again.

Posted By: DanW
Date Posted: 09 November 2006 at 2:09pm
Hopefully there will be a farmer's market at Fun Night on the 1st....and free parking all day in Church Lane car park.

-------------
I used to be with it. But then they changed what it was. Now what I'm with isn't it, and what's it seems scary and weird.

Posted By: Guests
Date Posted: 09 November 2006 at 3:13pm

If any one is interested, my cousin hand rears a rare breed of pig and has some just had some 'butchered' and is selling some porc.

Sausages, loin etc etc.

PM me if your interested

£5/kg

Posted By: big baggles
Date Posted: 09 November 2006 at 4:31pm
ummmm sausages- are they plain pork or do they contain herbs and stuff ?

-------------
need a stella and i need one now !

Posted By: Guests
Date Posted: 09 November 2006 at 4:44pm
plain pork. They are really really good, better than any sausages ive had.

Date Posted: 22 November 2006 at 12:23pm

Beaconsfield Farmer's Market this coming Saturday?  Does anyone know what time it is on from/to?

I thought markets usually started early so I got to the last GX one just before 10.30am which I thought would be late, only to find it didn't start until 10.30.  It was all set up though and appeared to be in full swing.

-------------
Life is a balancing act
GOP

Date Posted: 22 November 2006 at 12:32pm
Think it's from 9 to 12.30, although it tends to go on a bit longer....

I think that Saturday is Christmas bird ordering day there.....

Date Posted: 27 November 2006 at 11:45am

Thanks  Barn Owl.  I went along and got wet!

I saw no sign of any Xmas bird ordering.  There isn't another market before Christmas so I didn't see how delivery could be arranged anyway.

I bought butternut squash and celeriac; pheasant breasts, a venison joint and pheasant sausages (which were very dry, no doubt due to the leanness of the meat).

I did not see any signs of the baskets mentioned by Jenny.

Nor did I spot any forum members.  But I was keeping my head down under the umbrella!

-------------
Life is a balancing act
GOP

Date Posted: 27 November 2006 at 12:00pm
Ah - we ordered our bird there last year in November - can't recall if there were signs up or whether we just went up to a stall holder and asked.

We ordered a ham for Christmas on Saturday. We bought pheasant sausages too, haven't tried them, but I reckon it's not a particularly moist meat from which to make sausages.

We also got superb trout, chollah bread and really good veg.

The basket man is there every other month, so presumably this was his month off.

And yes - it was pouring!!!!!

Date Posted: 01 December 2006 at 8:33am
French market in CSP today and tomorrow. If you haven't been, they are very much like markets in France but wetter and far more expensive. The bread there is really nice but still doesn't come close to justifying why some loaves costing over £6!!!!!

Date Posted: 01 December 2006 at 8:39am
Will it still be there during the evening?

-------------
Life is a balancing act
GOP

Date Posted: 01 December 2006 at 9:08am
I don't think so. Doesn't seem to be much in the way of advertising it. I just saw a sign up in Gerrards Cross yesterday which simply said there was a French market in CSP on 1st and 2nd Dec. It's usually in Church Lane car park.

Posted By: Jenny
Date Posted: 01 December 2006 at 9:33am
It is being held in the Church Lane Car Park and it will be there tonight.

-------------
No one really cares if you are miserable so you might was well be happy. (Cynthia Nelms)

Posted By: big baggles
Date Posted: 01 December 2006 at 11:58am
 bought my french stuff on tuesday ! merguez.....yum

-------------
need a stella and i need one now !

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.06 - https://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2023 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net