Forum Home Forum Home > Chalfont St Peter > News and Gossip
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Precinct Car Park

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 45678 9>
Author
Local
Local

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote csp99 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2018 at 6:00pm
hi all, can anyone help me out.... I have received an invoice from the precinct operators and am loath to pay it due to this thread. However, I have had no response from the gmail account mentioned above, my post from last week or a private message to Peter. Any advice would be gratefully received, what have others members done in response to the parking invoice? Many thanks for the help.

Sponsored Links

ArtB View Drop Down
Chalfont Snapper
Chalfont Snapper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ArtB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2018 at 7:27am
No actual experience but have a read of:

it appears to offer sensible comment.

Art

Edited by ArtB - 19 May 2018 at 7:29am
*** If you're not part of the solution, you may be part of the problem!
treebeard View Drop Down
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote treebeard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2018 at 9:08am
First:

Did you park for longer than an hour, if yes pay up!

If no I am sorry, but you need to challenge the invoice.

If yes and you don’t want to pay, please put your home address on this site so that anyone wishing to park short or long term on some else’s land for free can park on your drive.

MV Owner View Drop Down
Chalfontonian
Chalfontonian

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MV Owner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2018 at 9:48am
hummmmm

If you parked there longer than an hour (and if what the invoicer is doing is illegal) then don't pay up and don't provide your address.
AlpinaB5 View Drop Down
Villager
Villager

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AlpinaB5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2018 at 7:05pm
OK, let’s put this to rest. Whilst it is right (as PRJ says) that precinct charges are not criminal fines to be enforced in the criminal courts, that does not mean that they are unenforceable in law. The SAGA link is a good guide. The precinct charges are governed by the civil courts so that the invoices can be enforced as outstanding debts in the local county court NOT magistrates. When asking whether the company will take the time to take action, these are the relevant factors: this company had hundreds of clients and so it is obviously profitable for them. Proceedings can now be commenced using the court’s on line system which is cheap and easy for them. The company probably employs clerks to oversee things and so they don’t need to employ outside solicitors so that their costs are absorbed by their overheads. As soon as they issue proceedings on line you become liable for the issue costs, and at every other stage if you ignore them the fixed costs get higher and higher. Even if you are able to establish a defence after months of hassle (eg penalty clause - won’t win) you will not get your costs back as it’s small claims court. The company won’t worry because it’s part of their nationwide profitable business. They’ve built in reserves to cover the occasional loss. I’ve heard so many people moaning about this but the answer is simple. It is private land and you can park free for an hour, but don’t moan if you can’t count 60 mins. This is my view, I accept no responsibility nor assume any duty of care for the advice if you rely on it. If you need further reassurance take the advice of a solicitor, but it’s probably cheaper to pay for overstaying the allotted time. PRJ has probably gone silent because he realises his “advice” is rubbish. Correct its not a criminal offence, wrong it’s not enforceable in the courts. Take care all. 😂
AlpinaB5 View Drop Down
Villager
Villager

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AlpinaB5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2018 at 7:10pm
ps the address issue is irrelevant. The invoices arrive by post because DVLA give the address to them based in the number plates which are caught on camera. They don’t use wardens.
purbeckgirl View Drop Down
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote purbeckgirl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 July 2018 at 2:17pm
I have been issued with a £60 parking charge notice by CarFlow for parking in St. Peter’s court car park for 1 hour 36 mins.
Lived here years and didn’t even realise that there was an hour restriction (clearly I’m usually a speedy shopper).
I really don’t want to pay it as there are a heap of things that are much more fun I could do with the money but I did do the deed and the signs (now I’ve finally read them) do seem pretty clear.  
MV Owner View Drop Down
Chalfontonian
Chalfontonian

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MV Owner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 July 2018 at 2:57pm
I'm sure you don't want to pay it, I don't think most people would want to pay it either.

It sounds like in your mind you think you should pay and as long as they aren't doing anything illegal I suppose thats probably the right thing to do.

CharlieB View Drop Down
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CharlieB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 July 2018 at 3:01pm
Not telling you what to do... But, I know many people who have ignored it and it has not been followed up...
As they say... The choice is yours...! :)

CharlieB
MV Owner View Drop Down
Chalfontonian
Chalfontonian

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MV Owner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 July 2018 at 3:03pm
I would say that I didn't perhaps use the correct terminology in my recent post.  I would also be inclined to not pay if I believed that CarFlow were indugling in sharp practice ie not illegal but on the edge of illegal (the sort of stuff that might be on Watchdog)
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 45678 9>