Forum Home Forum Home > Chalfont St Peter > Holy Cross Development
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Plans to increase housing in CSP

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 37>
Author
Villager
Villager

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Barn Owl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Plans to increase housing in CSP
    Posted: 07 August 2009 at 2:09pm
I don't know how many people know that there are plans to build extensively in Chalfont St Peter.

Basically, central government has decreed that there has to be a large increase to the housing stock over the next few years, and Chiltern District is obliged to build a certain number of these houses.

A large number has been allocated to CSP (Amersham and Chesham are also affected, but not Chalfont St Giles or other areas).

CSP is to build between 600 and 800 'dwellings' - not simply houses. One site that will be developed is Newlands Park. The other major site that is likely to be affected is Holy Cross which is earmarked to take 400 dwellings. Another area affected is Gold Hill/Austenwood.

We have a population here of 14,000 to 15,000. 600 more dwellings, with say, 2 to 4 people in each, might increase the population by around 2000 people.

Chiltern District Council maintains that it has been consulting on this since 2004. Personally, I have seen nothing - has anyone else?

All the developments, as far as I am aware, are being built on the basis that CSP has an aging population, and therefore does not need any more schools to be built to accommodate the increased population. Many people think that this assertion is incorrect, as CSP attracts people with young families who are looking to move out of London and into an area with a strong reputation for education.

I understand that little is going to be done to develop infrastructure to support the increased housing and population. So nothing will be done, unless we fight for it, about water supply, sewerage etc.

A committee of concerned residents of CSP has got together to examine and to try to protect the rights of the villagers. Also, since some level of development will undoubtedly be carried out, it will try to influence how and where it will be done. This committee has been 'adopted' by the Parish Council and therefore has a certain status which means that it must be listened to.

A website will shortly go 'live' which will provide the information on what is happening, what we're trying to do and how local people can become involved. When it does, I will link it to this discussion strand.

The first step is to let as many people as possible know what is going on so that everyone can lend their voices to ensure that the residents have input into what happens to our village.

People power!
Sponsored Links

Paul_G View Drop Down
Chalfontonian
Chalfontonian

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Paul_G Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 August 2009 at 9:25pm
Barn Owl,

Thank you for a serious and informative post.  This looks like a major issue affecting the fabric of CSP and its quality of life - something that I for one, having strived for its continued development, would not not now wish to see diluted in such a serious manner.

Holy Cross is within a currently developed plot and may be problematic.

AFAICT Newlands is both on Green Belt land and also within the Colne Valley Park, so the situation may be rather different.  I also wonder if the NSE proposals from a few years ago that failed primarilly on Green Belt and sustainability grounds may be relevant here too?

Please continue to keep the community informed.

Thanks,

Paul

Barn Owl View Drop Down
Villager
Villager

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Barn Owl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 August 2009 at 11:29am
Dear all,

There is now a website up and running which is in its infancy at the moment, but over time will become packed with information and updates on what is happening regarding proposed development in the village. So please add it to your favourites and keep checking it!

The website is

The strong feeling amongst people involved in this is that the residents of CSP must have a say in what goes on. One way that we are planning to do this is to put a flyer through as many front doors as we can get to - if anyone is prepared to help with the leg work, please PM me (asap) with contact details!

Many thanks!
Pants 2 Tight View Drop Down
Chalfontonian
Chalfontonian

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pants 2 Tight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 August 2009 at 6:25pm
Wow, I didn't realise that this process had gone so far. Do you have any plans/drawings for the other proposed development sites at Austinwood/Gold Hill and North CSP sites?

As you said in your initial posting, I'm not aware of any consultation by Chiltern District Council. I'll be getting in touch with them to discuss it.

Thanks for bringing it to our attention Barn Owl.
slowhand View Drop Down
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote slowhand Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 August 2009 at 5:03am
I am afraid all this is called progress, how long can we hope to keep our heads buried in the sand and hope it does'nt happen here.
I dont remember all the REAL old time residents of Chalfont St Peter groaning at the developments in the 1950's, things were just accepted then.
To me, this NIMBY attitude sounds very selfish.
ArtB View Drop Down
Chalfont Snapper
Chalfont Snapper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ArtB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 August 2009 at 7:42am

I agree, perhaps the heads have been buried in the sand for far too long, back to the 50's in fact! My memory is a little different as I do remember comments from some real old time residents in the 50's bemoaning the expansion of the village, and by the 60's the outcry against the development of the precinct, however in both cases the opinion of the locals didn't matter, the need to fuel London's insatiable appetite for workers took priority.

Selfish.... Mmmm... Isn't it just as selfish for someone to want to ruin the environment for the existing residents and provide a housing provision that does not equate to the existing pattern? Let's face it, judging from various comments in the forum and the press fairly recently: Locally the schools will not be able to cope, neither will the road network, nationally the rail network around London generally can't cope, and in and around London we are building rabbit hutches for people to live in.

Strikes me the active interest that is being shown here could be invaluable, it will give the local council, and therefore the residents,  a platform for the future, perhaps avoiding some of the types of mistakes made during the 50's & 60's. However, judging from my own observations of Village Design Statements you will just need to watch out for those that will want to use it to promote their own bandwagon, often fueled by them using their favourite book on how to lie with statistics to interpret the data!

Hey ho, how does that song go....... "If I ruled the world, every......"

ArtB

*** If you're not part of the solution, you may be part of the problem!
Chalfontonian
Chalfontonian

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pants 2 Tight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 August 2009 at 8:25am
Originally posted by slowhand slowhand wrote:

I am afraid all this is called progress
If you think progress is the unsustainable, over-development of available green spaces by building cheap, undersize, crappy houses then yes, it is progress.

To me, this NIMBY attitude sounds very selfish
I'm sure there is an element of NIMBYism, but that's just human nature. Of course I'm going to be more involved when it happens to affect my home and family life. So why should I just ignore it?
Malc London View Drop Down
Chalfont Snapper
Chalfont Snapper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Malc London Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 August 2009 at 12:23pm

I am afraid all this is called progress, how long can we hope to keep our heads buried in the sand and hope it does'nt happen here. To me, this NIMBY attitude sounds very selfish.

The problem is that the Governments solution to an increased population (fueled by EU immigration) in the south east, is to build more houses.

The solution should be looking at empty housing and brown field sites but also the dispersion of the population from the south east to less populated areas in the UK.  The population of Greater London is around the same as the whole of Scotland, yet look at the areas of land.

Recent history shows also that the building of properties does not include other necessities that go with a large influx of people into an area which places added demand on schools, doctors, dentists, plus increase in sewerage, water demand, etc etc. 

If you build houses, you increase demand for housing, if there are no houses, the population will go elsewhere.

If we don't want to live on one big housing estate linked to Uxbridge on one side and High Wycombe on the other, then we must keep the Green Belt and keep new housing to a minimum.

Walrus View Drop Down
Chalfontonian
Chalfontonian

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Walrus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 August 2009 at 2:41pm
you can buy a brand new 2 bed flat in stoke on trent for £50k.

There are loads of free houses in some northern towns.  Malc is right.
Is back in the game! :)
Chalfontonian
Chalfontonian

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pants 2 Tight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 August 2009 at 2:10pm
Have any of the local papers been covering this story?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 37>