Forum Home Forum Home > Chalfont St Peter > Memory Lane
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Names from the Past ....

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 12131415>
Author
Chalfont Snapper
Chalfont Snapper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rich Kid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 October 2018 at 10:35pm
Anyone know what happened to Dick Claydon or Paddy the Irish barber?
Sponsored Links

nicomacos View Drop Down
Sandbox
Sandbox

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nicomacos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 2019 at 9:31pm
Hi everyone!

not sure if anyone mentioned it earlier in this post, but is there anyone who has any memory of Scotts store in Glebe road? I'd be interested in knowing more about this place...what did they sell? It must be a very old store given there's a mention of a store in Glebe rd since the 30s! When did they close? Anybody has any picture of how it looked or can share a scan of a directory from the 50s-60s?

Thanks a million :-)

hissing sid View Drop Down
Chalfont Oldie
Chalfont Oldie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hissing sid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 2019 at 11:53pm
Sold general grocery. It was located about 100yds from the top on the right.

Edited by hissing sid - 06 May 2019 at 11:54pm
Hissing Sid

It's a free country, adopt whatever PC stance you want. Just don't tell me which stance I should take just because it clashes with your opinion.

Rich Kid View Drop Down
Chalfont Snapper
Chalfont Snapper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rich Kid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2019 at 5:04pm
I remember it being there although I cannot remember ever going in. Back in the day, before the rise of the huge supermarket chains, little grocery shops like that existed, anyone remember Heath's stores on the corner of Lansdown Road & Nicol Road?
I was in contact with the eldest son, John, not too long back, we went to the same school.
hissing sid View Drop Down
Chalfont Oldie
Chalfont Oldie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hissing sid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2019 at 6:25pm
Originally posted by Rich Kid Rich Kid wrote:

I remember it being there although I cannot remember ever going in. Back in the day, before the rise of the huge supermarket chains, little grocery shops like that existed, anyone remember Heath's stores on the corner of Lansdown Road & Nicol Road?
I was in contact with the eldest son, John, not too long back, we went to the same school.

Also know locally as just “The Corner Store” it was probably twice if not 3 times the size of “Scott’s” 

Another store from the past “Glenn’s” was located at the bottom of Lovel road, it faced out towards the green with the clock. It then opened to a Chinese takeaway.

Edited by hissing sid - 07 May 2019 at 6:32pm
Hissing Sid

It's a free country, adopt whatever PC stance you want. Just don't tell me which stance I should take just because it clashes with your opinion.

Rich Kid View Drop Down
Chalfont Snapper
Chalfont Snapper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rich Kid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 January 2020 at 12:34pm
Anyone remember John Harris who lived in Leachcroft?
Womble View Drop Down
Sandbox
Sandbox

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Womble Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 March 2020 at 1:09pm
Re Scotts stores in Glebe Road, My mother used to work there for years. We lived at 58 Glebe Road, My Uncle and Aunt at 60, My Aunt originally at number 62 (The Rest) who had a bungalow built in the garden and numbered 64. Now knocked down and a detached house built in its place. This was opposite Scotts stores. 

I cant remember when it closed but was still open in the early seventies, The last owner was a Mrs Harley who died a few years ago

The shop was a typical general store that sold everything. There was a cellar in the shop which was unusual for the time. Was well used by pupils when they came out of the local school, Chalfont secondary school or Old Jobes as it was known.  
Womble View Drop Down
Sandbox
Sandbox

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Womble Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 March 2020 at 1:12pm
There was John Harris who lived in Glebe Road as worked as a tv engineer. Never knew of one in Leachcroft.  Harriss was the family name and local to C St P
ArtB View Drop Down
Chalfont Snapper
Chalfont Snapper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ArtB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 March 2020 at 8:07am
Originally posted by Womble Womble wrote:

There was John Harris who lived in Glebe Road as worked as a tv engineer. Never knew of one in Leachcroft.  Harriss was the family name and local to C St P

I remember John, would think he'd be in his 80's now if he's still with us. I think he was the uncle of Gordon Harris. It was a busy household as I recall..
*** If you're not part of the solution, you may be part of the problem!
Womble View Drop Down
Sandbox
Sandbox

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Womble Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 March 2020 at 11:53am
Think he would be in his 90's at least, he lived at number 33 Glebe Road, His wife was called Violet and they had a large family one of whom had "special needs"
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 12131415>