Forum Home Forum Home > Chalfont St Peter > News and Gossip
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

My brown bin is too small!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GrumpyGal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: My brown bin is too small!
    Posted: 17 July 2013 at 11:16am
With 5 children to feed daily (no I have never claimed any benefits - not even child benefit when we were eligible before the rules changed!) have found my brown bin to be too small for a week of food waste - has anyone else found this? I phoned the waste team who said "you must reduce your food waste". Why? It is all compostable? Its the packaging that causes the big problems! They then said I could purchase another brown bin (why should I pay even more for bins after paying for the garden waste). Their suggestion to me was use my black bin! They confirmed I will not be fined and can use it for any rubbish! Grrrrrr what is the point of all the recycling bins if effectively they are suggesting I should recycle less than we did before? This means MORE and not less food waste will be going to landfill rather than being composted. Surely the temptation will be not to bother with the brown bin at all!

Now I will have a smelly brown bin and a smelly black bin! Furious! Any helpful suggestions or advice on how to get them to see the error in their ways and give me another brown bin (or a larger one) for free?
Sponsored Links

big baggles View Drop Down
Chalfont Snapper
Chalfont Snapper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote big baggles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 July 2013 at 11:43am
do you have the previous  food waste bin ( the green kitchen caddy thing )

if so use that as well and leave them out together with your new brown bin ?

if not can you put any uncooked salad waste etc in the green bin and cooked foood in the brown food waste bin ?- will that help ?

well the radio says it may be the hottest day ever and  the bins were honking today in the summer heat !!!!- the food waste is turning to liquid !!!NICE !!!!!

Edited by big baggles - 17 July 2013 at 11:43am
need a stella and i need one now !
Malc London View Drop Down
Chalfont Snapper
Chalfont Snapper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Malc London Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 July 2013 at 12:11pm
Surely the answer is to buy less food, cook less and use what you have.

Instead of a large weekly shop, try buying food on the day.

phisch21 View Drop Down
Chalfont Oracle
Chalfont Oracle

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phisch21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 July 2013 at 12:39pm
Freeze your leftovers or eat them the following day. Be creative and turn them into something else - bubble and squeak, omelettes, soups, stir fries, etc. And as Malc says, buy less, cook less and therefore waste less.

Not sure about your comments on packaging - the brown bin is for food waste, not food packaging waste. That should go with the plastic/paper/non recyclable waste

scotty View Drop Down
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scotty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 July 2013 at 1:02pm
Wow! A whole brown bin full of food waste? That's a lot of waste!  We have 8 banana skins, 17 tea bags and a bit of orange peel in ours and I feel bad for not putting it in the compost bin at the bottom of the garden.
EmmaO View Drop Down
Chalfontonian
Chalfontonian

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EmmaO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 July 2013 at 1:56pm
As I've just watched them empty the green and brown bins into the same lorry I would layer your additional food waste between garden waste, they'll never be the wiser. Or cut down your waste if you can, that's a lot of food/money to be chucking out.....
oldchris View Drop Down
Chalfont Oracle
Chalfont Oracle

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldchris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 July 2013 at 3:27pm
i havn't used mine yet, that's how waste i produce, can i have a discount on my council tax.
stop HS2.
oldchris View Drop Down
Chalfont Oracle
Chalfont Oracle

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldchris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 July 2013 at 3:28pm
Originally posted by GrumpyGal GrumpyGal wrote:

With 5 children to feed daily (no I have never claimed any benefits - not even child benefit when we were eligible before the rules changed!)
Don't know why you care to mention this.Confused
stop HS2.
Dave-R View Drop Down
Chalfont Star
Chalfont Star

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave-R Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 July 2013 at 3:33pm
Becasue, to be fair a lot of people have the mentality these days that only benefit scroungers have that many kids.
oldchris View Drop Down
Chalfont Oracle
Chalfont Oracle

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldchris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 July 2013 at 3:38pm
Originally posted by Dave-R Dave-R wrote:

Because, to be fair a lot of people have the mentality these days that only benefit scroungers have that many kids.

Dog whistle politics for the hard of thinking, I give up!Sleepy
stop HS2.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>