Forum Home Forum Home > Chalfont St Peter > News and Gossip
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

m&s Gerrads cross

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 789
Author
Chalfont Star
Chalfont Star

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Emsy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 November 2006 at 3:13pm
Originally posted by Malc London Malc London wrote:

Originally posted by Emsy Emsy wrote:

You can't really put a crossing there as there's a bend in the road.

No, a bit further down where the road straightens out. 

Which way? A crossing past the Ethorpe towards CSP is pointless as there's only pavement on one side of the road. Another crossing between the Ethorpe and the existing crossing would be pointless as there's already a crossing nearby, plus the danger of the bend in the road. Nothing wrong with the crossing where it is now. Just lazy people who don't want to use it.

A man's got to do what a man's got to do. A woman must do what he can't.
Sponsored Links

Dave-R View Drop Down
Chalfont Star
Chalfont Star

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave-R Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 November 2006 at 3:36pm
Originally posted by Grovesy Grovesy wrote:

Oh - and of course stopping people speed which stops people dying when hit by aforementioned speeding car!

Back to M&S topic...

Stopping people dieing?! Why would anyone die if i was doing 35 in a 30? Only reason would be is if they were in the road! Perhaps more money should be spent educating kids about the green cross code rather than teaching them about being gay from the age of 7!

Grovesy View Drop Down
NAG Moderator
NAG Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Grovesy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 November 2006 at 3:52pm

Dave - do you not see the road safety campaigns... 5mph does make a lot of difference if you should ever hit a child.  From the DOT:

'The energy that has to be dissipated to stop a car, called kinetic energy, increases exponentially as the square of speed. So the difference between 30 and 35mph is only a 16 per cent increase in speed, but it's a 36 per cent increase in kinetic energy, which is one of the key factors in stopping distance.'

Hit a child at 40mph - 80% chance they will die, hit them at 30% and there is an 80% chance they will live.

http://www.thinkroadsafety.gov.uk/campaigns/slowdown/pdf/30f orareason.pdf

Dave - I agree that more should be done to educate kids about road safety.  BUT a kid walking across the road has NO CONTROL over how fast that car driver is driving. So yes, 5mph does make all the difference.

Malc London View Drop Down
Chalfont Snapper
Chalfont Snapper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Malc London Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 November 2006 at 4:20pm
Originally posted by Dave-R Dave-R wrote:

Perhaps more money should be spent educating kids about the green cross code

Totally agree. I was going to post about this a while back. When I was going for a stroll on Gold Hill a week or so ago, I twice saw mothers let their kids run from the playground towards Gold Hill West. In both cases, the mothers caught up with the kids and then crossed the road but without giving any instruction or tutoring. In each case the kids minds were elsewhere. The age of these children must have been between 4 - 8.

One stood on the bank and nearly overbalanced and fall in front of an oncoming car, the mother did nothing. I was expecting her to grab him and it is a miricle he was able to keep his balance.

But again, when the road was clear, the kids ran across without a care in the world.

How are kids expected to learn the dangers of crossing roads if they are not taught.

A kid hitting a car at 30 mph is more likely to die then one not being hit at all!

Edited by Malc London
big baggles View Drop Down
Chalfont Snapper
Chalfont Snapper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote big baggles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 November 2006 at 4:24pm
Originally posted by rob rob wrote:

Originally posted by big baggles big baggles wrote:

speeding is a crime, especially along the vale...eh rob !

not me gov, honest.

i can hear your motor gettin closer !!!!!

need a stella and i need one now !
big baggles View Drop Down
Chalfont Snapper
Chalfont Snapper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote big baggles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 November 2006 at 4:28pm

the risks to kids crossing the road is greatly increased  when they have to cross the road in the vacinity of parked cars-

some say there are alot of illegally parked cars in the vacinity of GX  shops including the new M&S

( here we go now back on topic !)

need a stella and i need one now !
Malc London View Drop Down
Chalfont Snapper
Chalfont Snapper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Malc London Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 November 2006 at 4:31pm
What they need there is a crossing.
Guests View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 November 2006 at 4:34pm

Originally posted by rob rob wrote:

speeding is a crime, especially along the vale...eh rob !

not me gov, honest.

i can hear your motor gettin closer !!!!!

I must check that hole in my exhaust...

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 789