Forum Home Forum Home > Chalfont St Peter > Memory Lane
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

The Archer family in Chalfont St Peter

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Sandbox
Sandbox

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aleckeyw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: The Archer family in Chalfont St Peter
    Posted: 25 October 2018 at 7:41pm
This topic relates to another I recently posted. Whilst researching into a house off Rickmansworth Lane called Fernsleigh that was demolished to allow the current houses in Fernsleigh Close to be built, I established that 3 sisters (Mildred Archer, Mabel Archer and the widowed Ann Register) were living there in !939. I think Mabel and Ann were still living there until the house was demolished prior to 1970 but I could be wrong. 

The three sisters were living with their parents at Gorelands farm in the 1901 census, and it seems likely that their father, John Archer, owned land down Rickmansworth Lane on which Fernsleigh was built. 

I am wondering if anybody knows anything about the Archer family and whether there are any descendants still living locally?  
Sponsored Links

hissing sid View Drop Down
Chalfont Oldie
Chalfont Oldie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hissing sid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 October 2018 at 1:43am
Hissing Sid

It's a free country, adopt whatever PC stance you want. Just don't tell me which stance I should take just because it clashes with your opinion.

Rich Kid View Drop Down
Chalfont Snapper
Chalfont Snapper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rich Kid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 October 2018 at 12:44pm
There was an Archer family living in Pennington Road, not sure if they were related.
Aleckeyw View Drop Down
Sandbox
Sandbox

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aleckeyw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 October 2018 at 2:01pm
Thank you Rich Kid. Were they living in Pennington road recently or was this a while back?
Rich Kid View Drop Down
Chalfont Snapper
Chalfont Snapper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rich Kid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 October 2018 at 5:05pm
The children married and moved away some years ago, their parents passed away in recent years.
Aleckeyw View Drop Down
Sandbox
Sandbox

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aleckeyw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 October 2018 at 2:04pm
Thank you again Rich Kid. My rather unlikely hope is that I can find relatives or friends that have photographs of Fernsleigh before it was demolished around 1970. It doesn't help that John Archer produced 5 daughters and no sons, including the three sisters that lived in Fernsleigh, which makes searching for relatives that might be living now that bit more difficult! 
hissing sid View Drop Down
Chalfont Oldie
Chalfont Oldie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hissing sid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 October 2018 at 4:36pm
I know it’s a long shot, but there’s a company called Archer up Chalfont common.  

Hissing Sid

It's a free country, adopt whatever PC stance you want. Just don't tell me which stance I should take just because it clashes with your opinion.

Rich Kid View Drop Down
Chalfont Snapper
Chalfont Snapper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rich Kid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 October 2018 at 7:16pm
Who built the houses in Fernsleigh? Perhaps they might have retained pictures of the old house.

There was a William Archer who lived at Ashwells Farm, Chesham Lane in the 1920's, I don't know if they were related (was John the brother of William?).
 Post Reply Post Reply