Forum Home Forum Home > Chalfont St Peter > Memory Lane
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Fernsleigh

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Sandbox
Sandbox

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aleckeyw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Fernsleigh
    Posted: 17 October 2018 at 9:25pm
I have really enjoyed seeing all the old photographs of Chalfont St Peter. There is a particular house (called Fernsleigh I believe) that I am hoping someone will possess a photograph of, demolished some time before 1970 when the houses in Fernsleigh Close were built. It was built I think between 1920 and 1925 as it does not appear on the 1920 ordnance survey map but does appear on the 1925 ordnance map. You can just see the roof amongst the trees in the 1947 aerofilm survey. It is unfortunately just too far out of the village in the 1931 photographs (Britain from Above series). Hill House and Gravel Hill can be spotted but the photographs don't extend up Rickmansworth Lane. Any help much appreciated! 
Sponsored Links

Rich Kid View Drop Down
Chalfont Snapper
Chalfont Snapper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rich Kid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 October 2018 at 1:47pm
I remember the house, it was just up the road from Hillside Close, surrounded by trees & shrubs. As I recall, (although my memory may be faulty), it was occupied by a Miss Archer(?). 
Aleckeyw View Drop Down
Sandbox
Sandbox

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aleckeyw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 October 2018 at 5:17pm
Thank you Rich Kid. You are correct about Miss Archer. I posted a separate question on the forum about the Archer family.

I established that 3 sisters (Mildred Archer, Mabel Archer and the widowed Ann Register) were living there in !939. Mildred died in 1943. I think Mabel and Ann were still living there until the house was demolished prior to 1970 but I could be wrong. 

The three sisters were living with their parents at Gorelands farm in the 1901 census, and it seems likely that their father, John Archer, owned land down Rickmansworth Lane on which Fernsleigh was built. 

I am wondering if anybody knows anything about the Archer family and whether there are any descendants still living locally?  
 Post Reply Post Reply