Forum Home Forum Home > Chalfont St Peter > News and Gossip
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - How to Blow Three Quarters of a Million Quid!!!!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

How to Blow Three Quarters of a Million Quid!!!!

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Villager
Villager

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ralph Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: How to Blow Three Quarters of a Million Quid!!!!
    Posted: 05 June 2018 at 12:35pm
In November 2016, South Bucks District Council submitted a planning application to build a five and a half storey car park with a capacity of 443 cars in Station Road Gerrards Cross opposite Waitrose.

This was withdrawn by SBDC in August 2017 

What the Council hasn’t been keen for us to know is that the first planning application was withdrawn by them because the Highways Agency recommended ‘reject application’. This was probably because the additional traffic load on the already congested roads in and around GX was unacceptable.

However their new revised plans show that the size of the proposed car park (application yet to be submitted) still seeks to provide 443 spaces. So presumably the HA’s recommendation will still be valid.

In addition I can see no evidence that SBDC has commissioned a Pollution Impact assessment in any of their investigations.

The real headline however is the £780,000 already spent by SBDC with nothing but a withdrawn Planning Application to show for it!

Edited by Ralph - 05 June 2018 at 12:36pm
Sponsored Links

MV Owner View Drop Down
Chalfontonian
Chalfontonian

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MV Owner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 June 2018 at 9:40pm
Inappopriate or poor decision making at the expense of the tax payer is absolutely rife in the Public Sector
watsy View Drop Down
Chalfont Admin
Chalfont Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote watsy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 June 2018 at 12:36pm
Chiltern District planning councillors cost the hockey club around £100k when we went for planning permission for a full size astro / clubhouse behind Amersham College and School. The CDC chief executive had told us yes that is the best place for it in the district.  Fortunately the bemused planning appeals officer approved it and club is now thriving - does that count to this conversation?
Mal Content View Drop Down
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mal Content Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 June 2018 at 8:17pm
I am afraid that the writers of the previous comments may well be suffering from what those in public service would like to call Little Englander altered perception, or as we would call it ‘exposure to real life.’ I had the advanced misfortune to be employed by a London Borough Council, lasting only eighteen months before the scale of the incompetence and corruption ground me down. There is no penalty for failure and no real oversight of the witless decisions made. There was self-serving to an exceptional degree with no effective redress for substandard service.

Take a drive along the A40 in Tatling End and look at the decaying closed police station. In its haste to abandon the public, Thames Valley Police shut the station before it was sold, with the good old taxpayer stumping up to keep an empty building supplied with electricity and water. The site was eventually purchased by SBDC for an undisclosed sum, with the actual price (somewhere in the millions) kept very quiet. Please note that all details of the sale and purchase of these public buildings are not disclosed to the very people paying for them, i.e. the taxpayer.

There is a submerged fuel tank in the back yard of the police station that inhibits building and needs to be removed before the site can be put to good use. The drains leak into the private farm next door polluting the land. Again kept very quiet and the defects will be put right using the taxes paid by you and I.

Until then, the multi million pound building rots.

Those in public service have no idea of what it is like in the real world where redundancy, relocation, downsizing and business failure are real threats to livelihood, family life and general wellbeing.

Expect your Local Authority and public services to be useless and you will be disappointed rarely.

Floreat
MV Owner View Drop Down
Chalfontonian
Chalfontonian

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MV Owner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 June 2018 at 10:06pm
I have worked in both the public and private sectors and pretty much agree with most of what you have said
allotmentman View Drop Down
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote allotmentman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 June 2018 at 4:44pm
Don't forget the NHS/prison reform building up at the NSE. I get confused who actually owns it or rented it as it has been so long ago.

fortune to get it up and running and then only for a couple of years.

How long has it now been empty and borded up now 10 or 15 years !!
watsy View Drop Down
Chalfont Admin
Chalfont Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote watsy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 June 2018 at 10:58pm
I was going to mention that too. An old thread below!

This is a photo from the other day I was going to post - completely overgrown.
Debenham House, Chalfont St Peter

I heard (though not sure if true) the NSE had sorted a deal with Oxfordshire Health Authority, but National Audit Office said it wasn't a good enough deal - so the building is just rented out and rotting.

Is it also true (speaking of waste / shocking decisions) that the thriving Chalfont Saints Football club is under threat as the grounds they rent from the NSE have been re designated as brown field and thus development potential.
 Post Reply Post Reply