Forum Home Forum Home > Chalfont St Peter > News and Gossip
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Accident outside Tesco Express

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Chalfont Star
Chalfont Star

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave-R Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Accident outside Tesco Express
    Posted: 12 May 2018 at 5:56pm
Thursday evening at 7pm to be precise I was going towards Tesco Express on the service road when a car full of youngsters came out of the garage too fast and hit my car on the front side. I pulled forward so I could get out of the way of other cars wanting to pass, assuming the car that hit me would pull over too so we could exchange detials but they sped off on the A413!
Now I had no physical witnesses nor did I get the number plate because it was so quick but Tesco Express do have a camera covering that whole area, trouble is they cant show me the footage because of "data protection" only the police can view it and they aren't interested! They have a hit and run on clear CCTV but wont view the footage!
Any advice from some of you nice people on here who know your stuff?

Edited by Dave-R - 12 May 2018 at 5:57pm
Sponsored Links

MV Owner View Drop Down
Chalfontonian
Chalfontonian

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MV Owner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2018 at 8:31pm
Thats s hit to hear Dave sorry to hear about that.

Maybe Tesco are right, maybe they are wrong but I would suggest they would first try to fob you off (beacuse people do that)

Sometimes you have to be a pain in the bac kside

I think I would go back in Tesco and apply a bit of pressure and speak to the Manager and ask their name and repeat the request (them having their name may focus their mind more as they will be aware that you might quote their name when speaking to others at Tesco)

Have you tried posting a thread on Pistonheads.  There are likely to be more experts on there.

If you have to claim off your insurance Company then perhaps they can apply pressure.  Police generally dont get involved unless someone has been injured.

dickybird View Drop Down
Villager
Villager

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dickybird Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2018 at 11:26am
Hi, Dave-R
I think Tesco is mistaken.  I looked in to the legalities of CCTV access when we had the awful accident in Market Place with the refuse truck, and both the CCTV operators and Thames Valley Police confirmed that members of the public can ask for access to CCTV footage.  It has to be a written request, with strict parameters of when and where the filmed incident occurred and, as long as no underage children are in the footage, the CCTV coverage should be emailed to you.  You might find that Tesco Express does not have the facilities to extract a specific time period to give to you, but Data Protection issues should not come in to it, especially when you can prove that it is your car in the footage.
 [Maybe explain that you don't actually need a copy of the coverage, just the number plate of the car that struck yours - that should be easy for them to provide]
Good luck
AntonyMMM View Drop Down
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AntonyMMM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2018 at 8:23am
There are accidents and near misses almost every day there because people exiting the garage don't see the give way lines and drive straight across the service road traffic. This isn't helped by people parking next to the exit, blocking the view of the drivers travelling both ways.

You are obliged to report the accident to police because the requirements of the Road Traffic Act haven't been complied with. There are at least three offences that may have been committed by the driver of the other vehicle, so the police should attempt at least some investigation as there are clear and simple lines of enquiry that can be made. As a minimum they should be viewing the CCTV to identify the vehicle and sending a notice to the keeper requiring them to name the driver. 

If they are not interested then it can only be because of budget/resource issues and whilst recognising the pressure they are working under I would contact them again and make it clear you are making allegations that offences have been committed and you want them investigated. If they still decline then reluctantly (as a former officer myself) I would be submitting a complaint about their lack of action.

There is no legal reason why Tesco can't supply the footage to you and you should formally write to them putting them on notice that the footage may be required for legal proceedings so that it is kept and not overwritten.

Edited by AntonyMMM - 14 May 2018 at 8:28am
Dave-R View Drop Down
Chalfont Star
Chalfont Star

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave-R Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2018 at 5:31pm
Thanks for your help, police are now onto it.
 Post Reply Post Reply