Forum Home Forum Home > Chalfont St Peter > Memory Lane
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Old Shops

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Local
Local

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dot poleykett Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Old Shops
    Posted: 06 April 2018 at 11:10pm
Does anyone out there remember a shop known as "The Bomb Shop.
My parents used to refer to it 40s-50s I often wondered about the origin.
Sponsored Links

swej View Drop Down
Villager
Villager

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote swej Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 April 2018 at 11:21pm
Mr and Mrs Gilbert used to run the shop. My wife's mother used to buy Wagon Wheels and Penguin Biscuits for my wife on the way to school from this shop. Also my wife's grandmother worked there in the 1950's
Rich Kid View Drop Down
Chalfont Snapper
Chalfont Snapper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rich Kid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 April 2018 at 10:56am
Where was 'The Bomb Shop'?
hissing sid View Drop Down
Chalfont Oldie
Chalfont Oldie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hissing sid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 April 2018 at 11:57am
Second shop down from the top. Next to Lanes the butcher.
It was named the bomb shop after the owner ( Mr. Flowers ??) who took over the shop from Harold Dolby the green grocer, They were bombed out of London and started a new business there in the village.
Harold Dolby later ran a green grocery from an old bus plus he sold logs, he had a yard almost at the bottom of Glebe road on the right.

http://www.chalfontstpeter.com/forum/old-village-photos_topic8256_page18.html

Edited by hissing sid - 07 April 2018 at 2:05pm
Hissing Sid

It's a free country, adopt whatever PC stance you want. Just don't tell me which stance I should take just because it clashes with your opinion.

Rich Kid View Drop Down
Chalfont Snapper
Chalfont Snapper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rich Kid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 April 2018 at 10:06pm
I remember The old coach that served as a mobile shop. The second shop down eventually was taken over by Harry (a Northerner) & his wife Maria (an Austrian blonde) who ran it as a grocery shop.
hissing sid View Drop Down
Chalfont Oldie
Chalfont Oldie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hissing sid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 April 2018 at 12:42am
Originally posted by Rich Kid Rich Kid wrote:

I remember The old coach that served as a mobile shop. The second shop down eventually was taken over by Harry (a Northerner) & his wife Maria (an Austrian blonde) who ran it as a grocery shop.

This is correct “ Harry & Maria Flower”

Hissing Sid

It's a free country, adopt whatever PC stance you want. Just don't tell me which stance I should take just because it clashes with your opinion.

Rich Kid View Drop Down
Chalfont Snapper
Chalfont Snapper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rich Kid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 April 2018 at 1:18pm
Harry & Maria used to belong to the same social scene as an aunt of mine, middle-aged couples with no children, and they used to frequent the Spade Oak hotel in Bourne End for dinner/dances on Saturday nights, as well as Wooburn Grange Country Club. When Harry died Maria moved to Spain where she lived half-way up a mountain with her new man/husband. When he died she was at that point getting on in years herself and realised that accessibility was a problem so she moved down to a town and passed away a few years later.

Post Reply Post Reply