Forum Home Forum Home > Chalfont St Peter > Memory Lane
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Commenting on old pictures

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 456
Author
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote treebeard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 June 2018 at 7:23pm

Hi

Re. Chalfont St Peter, a general view.

I think that it is Grassingham Road, as the cottages on the left and possible the bungalow on the right look like they are all still there.

Rob

Edited by treebeard - 01 June 2018 at 7:38pm
Sponsored Links

dot poleykett View Drop Down
Local
Local

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote dot poleykett Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 June 2018 at 11:16am
Looking down Grassing ham Rd.near where Blue Cross is/was.
ArtB View Drop Down
Chalfont Snapper
Chalfont Snapper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ArtB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 June 2018 at 7:08pm
P26 Chalfont St Peter, a general view.. probably looking down Grassingham Road (thanks for feedback). No date.

The white double pitched roof building in the centre was Mill House - The 1883 map on The Limes web site shows it with a front extension on the left hand (as viewed in the picture) side as does the 1926 O/S map that I have. The school appears to have both Junior at the rear & Infant in the front buildings (if that's what they still are) but there is no front extension on the left hand side of Mill House in the photo...... So 1930's perhaps?

Art
*** If you're not part of the solution, you may be part of the problem!
hissing sid View Drop Down
Chalfont Oldie
Chalfont Oldie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hissing sid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 June 2018 at 6:51pm
Re first picture page 27. “ no coronation clock” 
After the clock was placed for the Coronation, it ran for a few years. Then in the late 50’s, it kept breaking down. After many unsuccessful repairs it was removed. 
The present clock was installed I think in the late 60’s. This is when the small trees were placed in each corner of the little iron fence. 
I think it was only resent years that both the trees and the fence were removed.

Edited by hissing sid - 14 June 2018 at 6:55pm
Hissing Sid

It's a free country, adopt whatever PC stance you want. Just don't tell me which stance I should take just because it clashes with your opinion.

Rich Kid View Drop Down
Chalfont Snapper
Chalfont Snapper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rich Kid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 June 2018 at 5:25pm
Didn't a family called the Sweetman's live at the Grange Lodge, the two children, one was called Michael, the other I believe was called Theresa or Patricia. They went to St Joseph's primary school and I think Mr Sweetman worked at the Convent.
Any one remember them?
ArtB View Drop Down
Chalfont Snapper
Chalfont Snapper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ArtB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 July 2018 at 6:41pm
Page 28 - The High Street - post 1904 with the bridge, Greyhound and George in view.

is a colour picture of the one you started the topic with. Post 1904 because of the bridge and pre 1908 as there isn't a gas lamp on the rhs of the bridge.

Art
watsy View Drop Down
Chalfont Admin
Chalfont Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote watsy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 July 2018 at 9:57pm
Ah, you are right, though a colour version rather than black and white.  Needn't have bought it though...
ArtB View Drop Down
Chalfont Snapper
Chalfont Snapper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ArtB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 November 2018 at 11:23am
"Thought I'd found the original entrance to Chalfont Park still standing on Lower Road this weekend, but it isn't.  Same style so obviously part of the original grounds.  This is just before North Lodge and looking rather sorry for itself.  Does anyone know if the entrance is still buried somewhere along Lower Road (see postcard at bottom of page 24 for the original)."

I think the picture at the bottom of Page 24 is the Southern Entrance to Chalfont Park that is buried under the bypass at the bottom of Marsham Lane, the equivalent view is roughly 

I think your photo on page 30 is where the Northern Entrance was, opposite Claydon Lane.

Art
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 456