Forum Home Forum Home > Chalfont St Peter > Out & About
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Lyttons Restaurant - a real gem

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Chalfontonian
Chalfontonian

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bucks Fizz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Lyttons Restaurant - a real gem
    Posted: 16 March 2017 at 8:56am
Looking for a venue for a slap up birthday lunch this week (mine!), we considered The Jolly farmer but saw it had received mixed reviews and we are always put off when each veg is charged for separately on top of an already pricey dish. Some of the seating looked a little hard, too. I then noticed that Lytton's Restaurant within the Audley Dene complex on Rickmansworth Lane had attracted nine 5* reviews on Tripadvisor, so we booked a table there instead. We were not disappointed.

The décor is truly sumptuous, with comfortable upholstered dining chairs, tasteful fabrics and objets d'art, and there is a lovely view from the dining room out across daffodil speckled lawns to the lake and fountain. Glassware and cutlery gleamed and the crisp table linens were immaculate. The food was superb, beautifully presented and served up promptly by a friendly and highly efficient waitress. The starters were imaginative - I enjoyed the scallops. Two of us had beautifully cooked hake for mains and one had the beer battered cod and chips - all excellent. The honey and honeycomb parfait and the rhubarb crumble, rhubarb ice cream and vanilla custard desserts were most memorable. A good Sauvignon Blanc rounded off an excellent meal and what was overall a most enjoyable dining experience.

I was surprised that the restaurant was not busier. There was ample parking for business folks. I do wonder if the lack of signage does not help. To find the restaurant, you enter the Audley Dene site in the upper end of Rickmansworth Lane (not via the Chesham lane entrance as it's a muddy walk from there) and basically keep driving, through the archway and turn immediately left into the visitor car park. Then walk back into the little quadrangle and head into the main building opposite you. You'll know you're in the right place when you see the magnificent décor and the comfy bar area ahead of you.

We'll be going again soon to try out the bar lunches as well. Ignore the menus at their website, there was a bigger choice of seasonal dishes on the day. To book, call 01494-258381. No, I'm not on commission!

Sponsored Links

EmmaO View Drop Down
Chalfontonian
Chalfontonian

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EmmaO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 March 2017 at 10:10am
Thanks for letting us know, I have found The Jolly Farmer to be hit and miss but thought we'd just been unlucky. We also really like The Ivy House, particularly for a good roastie.
The artist formerly known as Bobblehead :)
Bucks Fizz View Drop Down
Chalfontonian
Chalfontonian

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bucks Fizz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 March 2017 at 10:17am
And thanks also to you Emma. Must try the Ivy House. I always think they have the best view in the valley. Shame about the traffic or they could have a lovely terrace to enjoy that view.
Bucks Fizz View Drop Down
Chalfontonian
Chalfontonian

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bucks Fizz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 March 2017 at 10:19am
OOps, I should have described Lytton's as being within Chalfont Dene, rather than Audley Dene.
EmmaO View Drop Down
Chalfontonian
Chalfontonian

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EmmaO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 March 2017 at 10:47am
True re terrace. Yes since the new landlord, well I say new think they've been there two years now, but they've improved standards there no end. I posted a while ago about the spa up there, Bodhi Tree, it's very good indeed too.
The artist formerly known as Bobblehead :)
Vespa Scaevola View Drop Down
Sandbox
Sandbox

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vespa Scaevola Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 April 2017 at 12:00pm
Went to Lyttons in Chalfont Dene last night and had a very nice meal; while it is not cheap I would say it is the best of the offerings in CSP at the moment.  The ambience is very good with tasteful decor inside and a lovely developing view outside as the landscaping starts to come together.  It was quiet; I asked about how busy they had been and they are apparently not advertising until they gauge how much the residents on the development itself use the place.
Computers are a tool that we must direct with care.
 Post Reply Post Reply