Forum Home Forum Home > Chalfont St Peter > Memory Lane
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Polish Community

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Chalfont Snapper
Chalfont Snapper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rich Kid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Polish Community
    Posted: 13 March 2013 at 8:47pm
For those old enough to remember, there was a large Polish community living in the area back in the 1950's - see link

http://www.polishresettlementcampsintheuk.co.uk/hodgemoor1.htm

As a young boy I remember being taken by my aunt to Hodgemoor Camp (it seemed more like a village), because she married a Polish ex-soldier who had fought at Monte Cassino in Italy. I remember it was around Easter because a Polish person living there gave me a highly decorated Easter egg. I thought it was going to be chocolate but it turned out to be a hard-boiled hen's egg! Was I disappointed, you betcha!

So there is a history of many Poles living in this country long before the more recent influx of Polish plumbers and painters/decorators!

Edited by Rich Kid - 13 March 2013 at 8:48pm
Sponsored Links

Anita View Drop Down
Villager
Villager

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Anita Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 March 2013 at 11:30am
What a lovely storey Rich Kid I am sorry however about your egg. I hope you have made up for your disappointment by now and eaten plenty of chocolateWink
born and bred View Drop Down
Villager
Villager

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote born and bred Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 March 2013 at 5:19pm
I remember the camp. Our country owes much to the Polish community. I employ many Polish people who are great workers.
local born and bred
Dave-R View Drop Down
Chalfont Star
Chalfont Star

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave-R Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 March 2013 at 9:34pm
My Grandad's Polish, hes featured in a book about Polish war hereos. And hes still alive and well at the age of 90.
Bucks Fizz View Drop Down
Chalfontonian
Chalfontonian

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bucks Fizz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 April 2014 at 8:12am
There's a little bit about 'Polishtown' (in Hodgemoor Wood) in the new book 'The Chalfonts & Gx at War'. They had their own church and even their own football team. Many worked at Mars in Slough and the community drifted to Amersham after the war. A fine body of hard-working folks, as always.
 Post Reply Post Reply