Forum Home Forum Home > Chalfont St Peter > Memory Lane
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Barrack yard

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Chalfontonian
Chalfontonian

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bucks Fizz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 November 2012 at 7:46am
Thanks ArtB. I love old maps, and Godfreys maps cost only £3.50 each, plus they have additional information taken from censuses, street directories etc. I'll have a look at the ones on your link. Cheers.
Sponsored Links

bgoodman View Drop Down
Sandbox
Sandbox

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bgoodman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 November 2012 at 7:17pm
New to the sight. I am Trustee of Chalfont St. Peter Football Club and am currently researching the history of the club. Anything you may have or know about the club or, in particular of Mill Meadow and Welch's Farm would be most appreciated. Do you know the history of Mill Meadow before 1940. Who was Mr Mead.????
bg
Bucks Fizz View Drop Down
Chalfontonian
Chalfontonian

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bucks Fizz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 November 2012 at 5:46pm
I'll ask someone at Celfunde Inheritance - the local history & heritage group and get back to you.
hissing sid View Drop Down
Chalfont Oldie
Chalfont Oldie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hissing sid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 December 2012 at 12:44am
Originally posted by bgoodman bgoodman wrote:

New to the sight. I am Trustee of Chalfont St. Peter Football Club and am currently researching the history of the club. Anything you may have or know about the club or, in particular of Mill Meadow and Welch's Farm would be most appreciated. Do you know the history of Mill Meadow before 1940. Who was Mr Mead.????

Mr. Mead was from Mill Farm. I believe it was a dairy farm.
Hissing Sid

It's a free country, adopt whatever PC stance you want. Just don't tell me which stance I should take just because it clashes with your opinion.

Chalfontonian
Chalfontonian

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bucks Fizz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 December 2012 at 12:39pm
There was also a Mr Mead who ran the Dumbell pub at Horn Hill and who lost both his sons in The Great War. Might have been related.
PhilDon View Drop Down
Sandbox
Sandbox

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PhilDon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 April 2019 at 3:17pm
Frank Mead was also the guy who was commissioned to demolish Barrack Yard in 1938.

I think he felt rather upset or guilty about it, because he reused a good number of the bricks and timbers to build the house that I currently live in.

He also arranged for one of the wall paintings from the Cross Keys to be exhibited at the V&A
Chalfontonian
Chalfontonian

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bucks Fizz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 April 2019 at 4:36pm
Ah, I hadn't realised that was the same Mr Mead. Interesting.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12