Forum Home Forum Home > Chalfont St Peter > Memory Lane
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Graves

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Chalfontonian
Chalfontonian

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bucks Fizz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 October 2012 at 5:08am
GingerK8, now you know all Hissing Sid's personal history which doubtless you found gripping ('poor soles?!), but none of that helps you in your quest. The new garden of rest/cemetery atop Joiner's Lane was opened in 1944 so where your ancestor lies would depend upon when she passed away. I take it you have discounted any family connection with those Leslies [Charles, Charles E, Edith S, Elsie may, Helen E & William George) listed on the parish council website? I could find no Leslies listed in the older church cemetery. The Garden of rest to which I referred earlier is known now as St Peter's Garden. Sadly many of the headstones there have become eroded and are indistinct. Can you recall which one you visited, was it St Peter's Garden behind the shops or the newer one up on Denham Lane? Your best bet might be to ring the parish clerk at the number on their website. Best of luck.
Sponsored Links

Gingerk8 View Drop Down
Sandbox
Sandbox

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gingerk8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 October 2012 at 8:36am
Thank you for that Sid.  I think she may have been buried in the Baptisit cemetery as I believe she had her children christened in the Baptist Chapel.  As for my Chalfont family history, the first Leslie I know of, from my research, was William Leslie 1804 - 73. 

Thanks again for your help. Smile
ArtB View Drop Down
Chalfont Snapper
Chalfont Snapper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ArtB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 October 2012 at 2:14pm
The names directory here from 1921 shows a Mrs Leslie at Gold Hill Common, that could tie into the Baptist Church. Do they have any records I wonder?

Art
*** If you're not part of the solution, you may be part of the problem!
Gingerk8 View Drop Down
Sandbox
Sandbox

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gingerk8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 October 2012 at 2:53pm
That's a very interesting document - thank you Art Smile
Grovesy View Drop Down
NAG Moderator
NAG Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Grovesy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 October 2012 at 5:35pm
Hi...they wouldn't have been christened at the Baptist Chapel, so doubt they would have a record. If you are certain they were christened then it must be the parish church.   However, you could alway give the office a ring or drop them an email and I'm sure they might be able to help. 01753 887173 or office@goldhill.org

"Never doubt that a small, group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."
MARGARET MEAD
Gingerk8 View Drop Down
Sandbox
Sandbox

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gingerk8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 October 2012 at 5:38pm
Embarrassed I meant baptised.
hissing sid View Drop Down
Chalfont Oldie
Chalfont Oldie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hissing sid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 October 2012 at 6:22pm
Originally posted by Bucks Fizz Bucks Fizz wrote:

I found the link, and there are some Leslie's listed:-
http://www.chalfontstpeter-pc.gov.uk/downloads/garden-rest-list-easter-2009.pdf

Thank you for this useful link. 

I assume you know, this list is for the "Garden of rest" at the top of Joiners Lane.
I had the pleasure of knowing some of residents. RIP
Hissing Sid

It's a free country, adopt whatever PC stance you want. Just don't tell me which stance I should take just because it clashes with your opinion.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12