Forum Home Forum Home > General > The Forum > Recipes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Courgettes to use up?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gemx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Courgettes to use up?
    Posted: 04 August 2010 at 11:47pm

I have just experimented with making courgette soup in an attempt to get through them all!  Good news the experiment was successful!

(Sorry, I don't do measuring and weighing, but this should get you pretty much the same results)

Ingredients (serves 4 - 6)

3 medium courgettes, diced
3 large ptotoes, diced
1 medium red onion, chopped
1 tea spoon chives
1/2 tea spoon mint
3 cloves garlic, crushed
big blob of butter!
2 chicken stock cubes
plenty of pepper
Fromage frais (to taste) (i used 2 tablespoons)

Method:

1. fry the onions, garlic, pepper and herbs in the butter until onion softens.
  2. add the diced potatos, keep turning it over until the potatos are starting to fluff on edges, then add the Courgettes, continue to fry for about 4-5 mins.
  3. disolve stock cubes in about 1/2 pint of hot water and pour on to veg, top up pan with hot water until the veg is almost covered. (careful not to add too much as courgettes can be juicy!)
  4. cover and simmer until it all looks a bit squishy (15-20 mins)
  5. remove from heat and let cool for 10 minutes, then blend with hand mixer or similar.
  6. Add fromage frais if you want it a bit creamier, best to do this to taste in your bowl.

I loved it a) because it was yummy and b) because it is another way of using up those courgettes.

Let me know your variations, I'm thinking a bit of orange might work in this soup or even bacon!
xx gemx
Sponsored Links

oldchris View Drop Down
Chalfont Oracle
Chalfont Oracle

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldchris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 August 2010 at 12:42am
i make mine with courgettes,salt and pepper,
finshed with a bit of cream, that's it.
phisch21 View Drop Down
Chalfont Oracle
Chalfont Oracle

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phisch21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 August 2010 at 9:24pm
Lots of courgette ideas here http:///foodfrom4.com/?s=courgette

Edited by phisch21 - 23 August 2010 at 9:38am
phisch21 View Drop Down
Chalfont Oracle
Chalfont Oracle

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phisch21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 August 2010 at 12:14pm
Chillies View Drop Down
Villager
Villager

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chillies Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 October 2010 at 5:39pm
Great recipe

We had the same issue in July, but added chilli to give a little kick just threw two in with the blending.

Will try your recipe when we have our next crop

If you get stuck we also made a very tasty and popular chutney and would be happy to share the recipe with you, ginger and chilli in that so all sorts of flavours going on

www.chalfontchillies.co.uk Twitter: @chalfontchillie Facebook: chalfontchillies

Often to be seen walking his Staffie Cross and two Chihuahuas so please say hello
 Post Reply Post Reply