Forum Home Forum Home > Chalfont St Peter > Holy Cross Development
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Tree felling has started

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Sandbox
Sandbox

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Woodsy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Tree felling has started
    Posted: 19 November 2009 at 7:15pm
You may recall the lovely illustrative pictures displayed at the library and on the flyer that came round - you know the one, it had lots of dotted lines around the trees that are going to be 'kept' to keep the development sympathetic.

Anyway, the lovely nuns from the Grange have just had a tall Sweet Chestnut tree destroyed right outside my back fence, saying it was 'diseased' and 'an insurance risk'. Apparently it also presented a danger to my property as the decay was Grange Fields facing, meaning that the weight of the tree would fall in my direction if it collapsed - so in fact they were doing me a favour.

Parish Council and CDC people came to look when we called and said that there was some evidence of disease but the tree would have stood for much longer.

I am truly grateful to the nuns for thinking of me by destroying the tree, apparently they are reacting to Croft Road residents pleas for them to manage the trees. Well, now there is one less tree to manage, isn't there ?

I find the timing of their tree management peculiar seeing as nobody has been near the trees outside my fence for over a year.

I guess it is hard to defend retention of a tree during planning applications if it is removed before they get to that stage, right ? Trees with TPO's need to be replaced, but where ?

For those about to label me a NIMBY - I do agree that something needs to be done with the site, including affordable housing, but I just don't agree with the scale of this development at all.

Watch out for more diseased trees - I am certain this won't be the only one !
Sponsored Links

Malc London View Drop Down
Chalfont Snapper
Chalfont Snapper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Malc London Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 November 2009 at 3:17pm
The Nuns should be procecuted. Seriously.

phisch21 View Drop Down
Chalfont Oracle
Chalfont Oracle

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phisch21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 November 2009 at 3:59pm
Originally posted by Malc London Malc London wrote:

The Nuns should be procecuted. Seriously.

and charged with what exactly? They may have upset a lot of us residents but have they broken the law?
Chalfont Snapper
Chalfont Snapper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Malc London Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 November 2009 at 4:32pm
Yes, if the trees are protected. If they're not then they should have been.

If they are protected, then it's the Nuns who are liable.

big baggles View Drop Down
Chalfont Snapper
Chalfont Snapper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote big baggles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 November 2009 at 9:42pm
if the trees are deemed as unsafe then works can be carried out upon them, however this needs consent from the tree officer.....
need a stella and i need one now !
Chalfont Snapper
Chalfont Snapper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Malc London Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 November 2009 at 9:07am
Or you can just cut them down anyway and pay any small fine you may get. The contract is worth millions, the fine would be a few thousand.

Prison is the only disinsentive to the destruction of the trees. Do we have an extradition treaty with Switzerland? Probably not.

Barn Owl View Drop Down
Villager
Villager

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Barn Owl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 November 2009 at 9:23am
Apparently the 'junior' nuns who still live on the site are very upset about what is going on, and they are concerned that the residents are blaming them. They have nothing to do with it, and can do nothing - it is the nuns who are in charge and those who run the convent or the order from elsewhere - so I think that we should keep this distinction clear. 

More than this, the nuns who live here are devastated that their lives' work is ending in this way, and they are, apparently, also upset that the graveyard on site is being developed.

As far as the trees are concerned, there is a tree preservation order over the site. Unfortunately it is very vague, but if you contact the Tree preservation Officer at CDC, and do it in writing, with photos, so that you can prove that such a letter has been sent, then whoever cut down without permission should pay a fine. This might not seem to amount to much but at least it shows teeth.
Bucks Fizz View Drop Down
Chalfontonian
Chalfontonian

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bucks Fizz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 November 2010 at 10:30am
Maybe we need 'Swampy' and his friends to come in and save the trees. That would be a better disincentive to the destruction than any derisory fine. By the way, is there any truth to the story I heard that a disgruntled father of a Holy Cross girl, who had received the letter to quit the school only on the last day of the term before the girls were booted out, threw a pot of paint over one of the nuns?    
Bucks Fizz View Drop Down
Chalfontonian
Chalfontonian

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bucks Fizz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 November 2010 at 10:34am
I appreciate your concern for the remaining nuns, Barn Owl, but, then again, if, as they maintain, the Pope is God's representative on earth, then arguably the nuns are the Swiss order's representatives in Chalfont St Peter, and, in the absence of any visible negotiator, public reaction may be understandable.   
Rich Kid View Drop Down
Chalfont Snapper
Chalfont Snapper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rich Kid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 February 2011 at 10:51pm
Get over it, the site is going to be developed, get used to it I say and stop whingeing. For God's sake one would think that the world was coming to an end. It's the price society pays for the demise of religion.
 Post Reply Post Reply