FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedArmy Cadets

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Chalfontonian
Chalfontonian

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Army Cadets
    Posted: 19 October 2005 at 12:02pm

With the usual Kevin response from my then thirteen year old daughter I suggested numerous out of school activities. I was concerned that the lure of hanging around Chalfont beckoned.

A friend suggested the Army Cadets. Firstly the Army Cadets is totally different of the CCF of which my daughter wouldn't even entertain.

My daughter has been involved with The Royal Green Jackets 16th Platoon Beaconsfield for nearly three years and loves it. She now holds rank of Corporal and has had the opportunity of doing so many different things.

If you interested have a look at site below. The volunteers who run the platoon in Beaconsfield are fantastic.

www.peninsula.demon.co.uk/

Edited by fontie
Jingle bells....
Sponsored Links

Helen View Drop Down
Chalfont Star
Chalfont Star

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 October 2005 at 7:24am
do they do boot camp for 8+ in the summer hols
Fans View Drop Down
Chalfontonian
Chalfontonian

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 October 2005 at 11:12am

No 2 son joined ATC at the beginning of this year and loves it.  He went to Switzerland with them in the summer for a week and had a great time - action packed and only half the price of a 5 day school trip to Austria earlier in the summer - of which I was told it was"ok - but a bit boring".

If any one is interested 2313 chalfonts squadron - HQ is behind the Leisure Centre (very convenient) and they meet Tues & Thurs eve for 2 1/2 hrs!! Great it gets him out of the house and keeps him off the streets. Although I do have to chauffer him as he doesn't want the Chalfont Yobs to see him in his uniform!!

They can do shooting, flying (even obtain a flying licence), sports most weekends if they want and of course all free as subsidized by the RAF!

Sorry Helen they have to be 13!

fontie View Drop Down
Chalfontonian
Chalfontonian

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 October 2005 at 12:56pm

QUOTE:

They can do shooting, flying (even obtain a flying licence), sports most weekends if they want and of course all free as subsidized by the RAF!

Same as the Army Cadets. There is an initial cost of £10.00 which covers your uniform.

My daughter is away this weekend. These numerous weekend are free (well we are paying for them in our taxes).  Their annual camp you are asked to contribute £55.00. This is for two weeks and includes absolutely everything.

Jingle bells....
Fans View Drop Down
Chalfontonian
Chalfontonian

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 October 2005 at 2:04pm

I think all the youth groups affiliated to the services are brilliant - they keep the kids off the streets and give them something to do along with valuable experiences and even qualifications (not to mention discipline which No2 son definately needs!) - My son does more studying for his ATC exams than he has ever done for school! -although these are voluntary - maybe that's the attraction and as for the value for money it's great.

How many youngsters in the village say "there's nothing to do here!" as an excuse for unruly behaviour - I know these groups aren't for everyone (No 1 son wouldn't be seen dead in the uniform) but I think perhaps they should be advertised more in schools.  

Jenny View Drop Down
Chalfont Star
Chalfont Star

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 October 2005 at 2:56pm
Helen if you are looking for something your daughter can do have you thought about Brownies?
I know that all 'my' Brownies really enjoy it and I have seen it help to develop them in many ways (one Brownies who was shy and reclusive when she joined is now outgoing, happy and one of the most popular girls in the troop).
Also part of the  Brownie 'law' is  that a Brownie does a good turn every day (good reason to get your daughter to lay the table, do the washing up etc )
If oyu want the number of the person dealing with putting your daughter's name down just PM me.
No one really cares if you are miserable so you might was well be happy. (Cynthia Nelms)
fontie View Drop Down
Chalfontonian
Chalfontonian

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 October 2005 at 5:11pm
Originally posted by Fans Fans wrote:

I think all the youth groups affiliated to the services are brilliant - they keep the kids off the streets and give them something to do along with valuable experiences and even qualifications (not to mention discipline which No2 son definately needs!) - My son does more studying for his ATC exams than he has ever done for school! -although these are voluntary - maybe that's the attraction and as for the value for money it's great.

How many youngsters in the village say "there's nothing to do here!" as an excuse for unruly behaviour - I know these groups aren't for everyone (No 1 son wouldn't be seen dead in the uniform) but I think perhaps they should be advertised more in schools.  

Totally agree with everything you've said Fans. As a parent you know that the commitment our children make are also commitments we undertake. i.e. driving them to a from these activities helping them get organised for camps etc....

Unfortunately some parents may not be in the position to commit either because of work commitments or younger children.

Maybe at the next Chalfont Fair the Army Cadets and other services could have a road show, worth mentioning.

Maybe some posters advertising placed at the Youth Club and at schools.

I think a lot of children have the wrong idea about Army Cadets - Air Core.

They think it's all full of geeks.... how wrong they are and how much they are missing.

Jingle bells....
pierre View Drop Down
Chalfont Star
Chalfont Star

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 October 2005 at 11:50pm

I was an Air cadet from 74 to 76, I got to go gliding, flew in a chipmunk and had my bo****ks bootpolished at Raf Rudloe Manor!

Perveyor of crap knob jokes since 2007.
 Post Reply Post Reply