Topic Closedeasy chinese dishes,

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Chalfont Snapper
Chalfont Snapper

Direct Link To This Post Topic: easy chinese dishes,
    Posted: 18 July 2005 at 6:05pm

prawn sesame toasts,

(firstly this is an easy way to produce masses of dim sum !- cheaply)

as for quatities then sorry but i use guesswork with these now- having made them so many times !!!

medium sliced white bread.- leave this out for several hours to dry abit !

place prawns in a bowl,  i generally  use about half of frozen pack- defrost thoroughly and drain all excess water- finely chop 1 clove of garlic per half bag of prawns..... add this to the bowl,  using a food blender or ' braun type hand wuzzer'  mash/ blend this to a paste,  apply a thick layer of this to one side of the white bread, and sprinkle on sesame seeds, shallow fry in hot oil,

( for a true authentic taste use nut oil or even sesame oil ( providing that no one eating it has nut allergies !!!)

when frying use very very hot oil, cook the paste side first and then turn after the seeds start to look golden, fry on other side for 45 seconds until bread is crisp, remove from oil and drain, ( can be prepared in advance and placed in hot oven on wire rack to remain hot, - dont keep for too long as toast goes 'soggy !'

chinese clear soup-  this is for 4 people - to increase numbers allow one pint of water per 2 adults and increase ingredients accordingly.

add 2 pints of boiling water to large pyrex bowl,  add 2 - 3 chicken stock cubes ( or more depending on type/ manufactuirer- follow stock cube recommendation) add one tea cup full of white rice per pint of water used, grate some fresh root ginger to taste into bowl, finely chop one garlic clove and add to bowl- season with black pepper and pinch of salt-  place bowl with stock and rice and ginger and garlic into microwave and cover- cook for 10 mins in microwave on max power, stir occaisionally..............

remove after 10 mins and add shredded chinese leaves, and add one cup full of prawns per pint of stock used - cook again in microwave - UNCOVERED for a further 5 mins- and then serve !

(you can add dumplings to this if you so wish, or add more prawns/ chinese leaves to make it a thicker heavier soup if you wish, add more ginger to taste if you wish, but its easy and yummy ! )

shredded seaweed- you can use greens, chinese leaves and spinnich for this or a mixture of them all, recipe books vary on suggested ingredients, , but basically shred finely and deep fry- the oil must be very very hot, sesame oil is good but dont allow it to burn,  i sometimes add ginger to the oil to add the slightly sweet flavour, flash fry in very hot oil...... grind brown sugar and rock salt in a pestle, once the leaves are crispy remove and drain well, when cooler toss the greens in the finely crushed sugar and salt then eat !- enjoy

need a stella and i need one now !
Sponsored Links

Emsy View Drop Down
Chalfont Star
Chalfont Star

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 July 2005 at 9:01am
Thanks big baggles, I will try those. (Though disappointed not to have a deep fryer!).
A man's got to do what a man's got to do. A woman must do what he can't.
big baggles View Drop Down
Chalfont Snapper
Chalfont Snapper

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 July 2005 at 1:35pm
you dont need one, shallopw fry in a wok, its gets the oil very hot, which is also healthier !
need a stella and i need one now !
 Post Reply Post Reply