Forum Home Forum Home > Chalfont St Peter > News and Gossip
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedDissection

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Dissection
    Posted: 25 January 2005 at 8:45am

Did anybody see this on Channel 4 last night ?

Very interesting.

Sponsored Links

chris View Drop Down
Chalfontonian
Chalfontonian

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 January 2005 at 10:52am
yes it was....
Guests View Drop Down
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 January 2005 at 8:18am

Heart and Lungs last night.

Digestive system tonight, lovely.

DanW View Drop Down
Chalfont Admin
Chalfont Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 January 2005 at 8:40am
Sounds like a menu at 'Offal Lovers'(TM)
Guests View Drop Down
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 January 2005 at 4:47pm

I'm looking forward to tonight's instalment. I hope they have a female model again.

The dead guy that they were dissecting didn't look that old last night. I don't know what he died of but they said he had fluid on his right lung.

Edited by CarlosTheBrave
Eddie View Drop Down
Chalfont Star
Chalfont Star

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 January 2005 at 8:37pm
Nancy Banks Smith in The Grauniad:

Unlovely bones

Nancy Banks-Smith
Tuesday January 25, 2005
The Guardian

We are in the Heidelberg Institute of Plastination, which contrives to sound effortlessly shifty. Dr Gunther von Hagens (he of the insanitary hat) is explaining that the body dangling behind him like a discarded suit had been a strong believer in enlightening the laity. A sound Protestant principle. The corpse didn't, how shall I put this, look at all well. Intermittently, you wondered why he died only 55 years old.

Anatomy for Beginners (Channel 4) was the first televised dissection. There will be three more on successive nights. The great taboo-breakers are usually people with whom I would hesitate to share a table in an all-night cafe. Von Hagens is prominent among these. He was assisted in this enterprise by Professor John Lee, a Yorkshire pathologist, and Dennis, a male model. Professor Lee had lucid English and Dennis had particularly fine biceps. Dennis, bless the little cotton socks he wasn't wearing, clasped his hands over his penis whenever the camera came too close.

First von Hagens removed the corpse's skin in one complete piece like a wet suit and hung it up tidily. (I will not think about lampshades. I will not.) As the muscles were now exposed, he could show their action by making the body clench its fist and, hauling on the massive quadriceps muscle ("Now, let's tek ection! I slep it beck and, when I pull it here, the lower leg should go ahead"), raise its leg in a spectral striker's kick.

It was about now I became aware of the smell. It has sometimes seemed a pity, particularly in gardening programmes, that television has no sense of smell but suddenly I started to smell dead flesh and couldn't shake the sensation.

He opened the skull with a saw and chisel to expose the brain. It wobbled. This was a real surprise, as we invariably see brains preserved in formalin. "The brain," he said, "has the consistency of blancmange," and, producing a blancmange he had prepared earlier, he flung it to the floor.

He sliced a preserved brain on a bacon slicer, then removed the spinal cord. Holding a slice of brain and the dangling spinal cord beside Dennis, he ordered: "Wiggle, please!" And, demonstrating the chain of command which runs literally from top to toe, Dennis wiggled. The audience of donors and anatomy students, some of whom had sat with their hands to their mouths, applauded rather quietly.

It was gripping and, somehow, deafening because you were looking too hard to hear. Also, you won't fancy bacon or blancmange for a while.

Edited by Eddie
They say Kesey's dead; But never trust a prankster;even underground.
chris View Drop Down
Chalfontonian
Chalfontonian

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 January 2005 at 9:26pm

did anyone see the bodyworlds thing...

Guests View Drop Down
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 January 2005 at 8:18am

I fell asleep during the last 15 minutes last night.

The body didn't look as real but that was beacause they had used a preservative, it seemed quite rubbery, a lady this time. She didn't seem too old.

I don't know if there is another instalment tonight ?

Post Reply Post Reply