Forum Home Forum Home > Chalfont St Peter > News and Gossip
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

TIMOTHY HUNT RESEARCH REQUIRED

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Sandbox
Sandbox

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote laurence Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: TIMOTHY HUNT RESEARCH REQUIRED
    Posted: 11 June 2020 at 10:08am
HI EVERYONE
I have in my possession a piece of Chalfont history in the form of a stoneware tankard named and dated Timothy Hunt Chalfont 1766. From my initial online research I have found out he was a Maltster back in the mid 18th century but would like to know more, was he a prominent member of society in the town etc etc. Any help would be appreciated. thanks Laurence
L COOPER
Sponsored Links

Rich Kid View Drop Down
Chalfont Snapper
Chalfont Snapper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rich Kid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 June 2020 at 1:48pm
Could it be Chalfont, Bucks County, Pennsylvania, USA by any chance?

Chalfont is a borough with home rule status in Bucks CountyPennsylvania, United States. The population was 4,009 at the 2010 census. The borough is served by SEPTA Regional Rail's Lansdale/Doylestown Line at Chalfont station.

Chalfont is named after Chalfont St Giles in Buckinghamshire, England. Chalfont was the home of William Penn's first wife, and William Penn is buried at Jordans Quaker Meeting House near Chalfont St Giles.

The Chalfont Historic District is listed on the National Register of Historic Places and contains many  American colonial and Victorian-style houses. Several of these are former residences which are currently occupied by businesses and are concentrated near the intersection of Butler Avenue (U.S. Route 202 Business) and North Main Street (Pennsylvania Route 152) and extend along North Main Street.

Edited by Rich Kid - 11 June 2020 at 4:18pm
AntonyMMM View Drop Down
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote AntonyMMM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 June 2020 at 2:46pm
Buckinghamshire parish registers show that  Timothy Hunt Sen(io)r was buried at Chalfont St Peter on the 7th June 1766. 

He features in the manorial court records, as do many members of the Hunt family.

And his will, in which he is said to be a carpenter,  is in the records of the Prerogative Court of Canterbury and can be read through the Ancestry website ( currently free if you are a library member).

Edited by AntonyMMM - 12 June 2020 at 2:56pm
hissing sid View Drop Down
Chalfont Oldie
Chalfont Oldie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hissing sid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 June 2020 at 11:49am
Hissing Sid

It's a free country, adopt whatever PC stance you want. Just don't tell me which stance I should take just because it clashes with your opinion.

laurence View Drop Down
Sandbox
Sandbox

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote laurence Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 June 2020 at 3:16pm
No this is a British made piece and definitely UK. thanks Laurence
L COOPER
laurence View Drop Down
Sandbox
Sandbox

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote laurence Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 June 2020 at 3:19pm
Thank you. I found him (son) in the court records with his wife and it says he was a maltster so possibly the piece was made to commemorative his fathers demise as the dates match? The name seems to have carried over from father to son. Appreciate your help.  Laurence
L COOPER
Bucks Fizz View Drop Down
Chalfontonian
Chalfontonian

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bucks Fizz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 June 2020 at 12:21pm
I'm sure you know that many of the maltsters in those times were Quakers. Because, in the early days, they were not considered Christians, entry to the professions was them them, so they tended to go into grain cultivation. Prime examples are the cereal manufactures and confectioners, Scotts (of Quaker Oats fame), Cadburys, Frys etc. It was a logical and fruitful step from this sort of cultivation into turning grains into beer. I understand The Maltings in Amersham was run by a Quaker. Also, Hill House at the corner of Rickmansworth Lane and Gravel Hill in Chalfont St Peter, was (built?) and owned by a wealthy local maltster.

Post Reply Post Reply