Forum Home Forum Home > Chalfont St Peter > News and Gossip
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Hornhill Road closures

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
Chalfont Admin
Chalfont Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote watsy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 January 2019 at 12:05pm
I accept the increased demand, but I would back it wholeheartedly if it connected with HS1 straight through to Europe, Heathow Airport, Birmingham Airport and then Manchester Airport making them all hubs and spreading air traffic around.

I also think instead of Bucks CC lobbying hard against the project and wasting taxpayers cash, they should have lobbied for a station at Aylesbury - huge boon for the town which is gridlocked (as are most places at rush hour) and is still expanding fast, and thus also relieve some capacity for the standard Aylesbury line via Amersham which is full most of the time (i believe from my commuter friends).  

I did suspect when the rumours of a garden city for GX / CSP were mooted by Nick Clegg that they'd build a stop for it here. https://www.bucksfreepress.co.uk/NEWS/10950985.County_council_pledges_to_fight_garden_city_plan_after_Gerrards_Cross_rumours/?ref=rss ;
Sponsored Links

Sunray View Drop Down
Villager
Villager

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sunray Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 January 2019 at 12:18pm
If HS2 is only about capacity why don't they reinstate the 2 lines up the existing route from Marylebone through GX to Birmingham, the lines were removed about 30 years ago but the track bed, bridges, etc are all still in place, whilst it would be slower than HS2, it would give the capacity and be billions of £s cheaper.
Sunray
dogwalker View Drop Down
Local
Local

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dogwalker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 January 2019 at 1:49pm
There was a proposal to reinstall the 2nd track for freight use only over ten years ago but it was objected to by many people for the noise of freight trains. Then there was the issue of Marylebone being too small to cope with the additional traffic. Quite frankly the transport planning is not fit for purpose.
GXCSP View Drop Down
Villager
Villager

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GXCSP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 January 2019 at 5:17pm
I saw plans to connect it to HS1 but they were removed as the government needed them to reduce costs.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123