Forum Home Forum Home > Chalfont St Peter > News and Gossip
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Hornhill Road closures

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Villager
Villager

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Piglet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 January 2019 at 10:12am
Yes, it was open this morning......and they took two weeks to do that???!
Sponsored Links

MV Owner View Drop Down
Chalfontonian
Chalfontonian

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MV Owner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 January 2019 at 3:23pm
What had they actually done then Piglet
fitzy View Drop Down
Local
Local

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fitzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 January 2019 at 11:27am
You have to marvel at the quality of the craftsmanship of the workers!!
MV Owner View Drop Down
Chalfontonian
Chalfontonian

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MV Owner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 January 2019 at 3:08pm
what has actually been done?
watsy View Drop Down
Chalfont Admin
Chalfont Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote watsy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 January 2019 at 3:53pm
It is the road past HS2 access (from CSP) which has been sort of widened.  A gully has been put in where the original road ended (I think) and another 50cm or so dug out on one side and concreted down to Maple Cross, though not all the way down.  

Why have they done this? I thought the temporary road they've built directly onto the M25 was supposed to handle the HS2 traffic?
big baggles View Drop Down
Chalfont Snapper
Chalfont Snapper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote big baggles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 January 2019 at 11:04am
i have a pal working on the hs2 site in euston.....

nearly a square mile of euston will have construction work going on to create the terminus....

every day there is a site daily /safety briefing for all contractors, 1 hour in duration... the briefing covers topics like site safety, vehicle movements, and site facilities ( and the flavour of the soup of the day in the canteen )
once you have been site inducted and had your daily briefing you can go do physical work....

sad thing is you have to do a daily briefing for every single day you are on site.....1 hour every day of non productive  time... at its height there is thought to be 2500 people daily working there...

so 2500 lost productive hours daily ...!    no wonder hs2 is costly and i am sure it wont be on budget...

so 2 weeks to shut a road and throw concrete into the gully i think is fairly good...lol... they probably had daily briefings too !
need a stella and i need one now !
brewski View Drop Down
Chalfontonian
Chalfontonian

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brewski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 January 2019 at 3:16pm
Originally posted by watsy watsy wrote:

It is the road past HS2 access (from CSP) which has been sort of widened.  A gully has been put in where the original road ended (I think) and another 50cm or so dug out on one side and concreted down to Maple Cross, though not all the way down.  

Why have they done this? I thought the temporary road they've built directly onto the M25 was supposed to handle the HS2 traffic?

Anything to do with the new (proposed!) Service station?🤔
Too many laws...
Too few examples...
allotmentman View Drop Down
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote allotmentman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 January 2019 at 9:00pm
To carry on the HS2 thread.

I see they are now planning to drop the trains from 18 an hour down to 14, and dropping the speed.

I seem to remember a meeting at CSP community hall a few years ago where an expert on rail travel pulled apart the business case..

The plan was for something like 18 trains to justify the expense of building it.
She pointed out that no, I repeat NO high speed line anywhere in the world does more than 14 trains a hour currently.

If the Japanesse/germans/french etc cannot run more than 14 how are we going to manage it.

I also think that the dutch high speed network was going bankrupt a while back

GXCSP View Drop Down
Villager
Villager

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GXCSP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 January 2019 at 7:29am
HS2 is not about speed. Never was, never will be. It just happens to be a by-product of installing a new railway. It's all about capacity and we desperately need increased capacity, on a number of levels.
ArtB View Drop Down
Chalfont Snapper
Chalfont Snapper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ArtB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 January 2019 at 11:06am
Originally posted by GXCSP GXCSP wrote:

.... It's all about capacity and we desperately need increased capacity, on a number of levels.

Unfortunately we're not smart enough to reduce the demand! All that increasing the capacity will do is increase the demand which means we will soon run out of capacity.... again, vicious circle.

*** If you're not part of the solution, you may be part of the problem!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>