Forum Home Forum Home > Chalfont St Peter > News and Gossip
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

'Pre-ordering' your turkey

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Chalfontonian
Chalfontonian

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bucks Fizz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 'Pre-ordering' your turkey
    Posted: 16 December 2018 at 11:35am
Remembering the Christmas a few years back when we had deep snowfall and I had to walk a mile and a half into GX and back with a heavy turkey in my rucksack - making a mental not to see if anyone in GX sold live turkey so that, next year, I might walk the beast home on the end of a string, I was delighted when Waitrose and M&S moved into GX and CSP gained a good butchers.

These days, we are continually being urged to order our turkey or other Christmas food well in advance. In fact 'pre-order' is the phrase used, albeit as tautological as phrases such as 'free gift'. Not only local butchers but also supermarkets exhort us to decide weeks beforehand what our festive fare will be and to commit to our choice by ordering it. Indeed, this year, one chain store offered a free bottle of wine to anyone ordering their food in November.

Last year, I 'pre-ordered' a fowl from Waitrose in GX. When I called at the appointed time to collect it, I stood around for an uncomfortable 45 minutes with a small crowd of other folks, whilst a lone and greatly harassed member of staff ran herself ragged around their storeroom, emerging eventually with a trolley over-laden with said beasts. Whilst I and the other wearily queueing customers ('is there a war on?' asked one wag) stood there waiting, we couldn't help noticing that there were, in fact, a huge number of turkeys and other festive items stacked high in the chiller cabinets, so we needn't have bothered ordering.

This year, I fell for it again, this time intending to 'pre-order' from M&S, thinking it would be especially convenient since we now have our own store in the village. I was relieved to see only one lady ahead of me at the customer services desk on 13 December - two full days before their deadline for ordering. We had both completed our pull-out forms from the food supplement and anticipated simply being able to hand these in with the money. However, orders had to be entered onto the computer system and, owing to the staff's unfamiliarity with said system, it took them around twenty minutes to establish that the food item the lady ahead of me wanted was 'sold out'. My turn next and, luckily, what I wished to order was still available. However, I was told that all the available 'collection slots' in CSP were taken. I could, though, choose to collect my items from M&S in GX if I wished. However, the collection slots there didn't start until 11 am, by which time, I knew from bitter experience, there would be no parking spaces available anywhere in GX - no, not even on the double yellows outside the Blue Cross laundry.

Common sense told me the best thing to do would be simply to turn up on a day and at a time convenient to me and purchase one of the stacks of Christmas fowl I know will be awaiting me in any one of several local stores. If, like me, you have been thwarted in your attempts to 'pre-order' a Christmas fowl or joint, do not despair. Just get into your chosen store early enough and buy one - but do not get there before me!             
Sponsored Links

Sunray View Drop Down
Villager
Villager

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sunray Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 December 2018 at 3:55pm
Or just order it from Rob at "Meat at Judds" in the village and have it delivered!
Sunray
MV Owner View Drop Down
Chalfontonian
Chalfontonian

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MV Owner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 December 2018 at 5:35pm
I pre-order mine in October from a Company in Norfolk called Peeles Norfolk Turkey who deliver it on 20th.  Its a particular type of Turkey (Narraggansett) which they recommend removing from the oven at 65degrees and tastes absolutely effing fabulous
treebeard View Drop Down
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote treebeard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 December 2018 at 6:53pm
We have ordered our meat for Christmas from Judd’s in the old high street, he will deliver and his meat is always excellent.

MV Owner View Drop Down
Chalfontonian
Chalfontonian

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MV Owner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 December 2018 at 6:55pm
I couldnt possibly comment on Judds but the reason I use Peeles is they actually produce the turkeys and have a heritage going back around 100 years

Edited by MV Owner - 16 December 2018 at 7:00pm
AlpinaB5 View Drop Down
Villager
Villager

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AlpinaB5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 December 2018 at 10:04pm
My response to buying stuff from M&S is simply that if you buy anything on their special deals (cheaper price if you buy 2 or part of a deal) is that you check your bill afterwards.  They have a canny way of not getting the deals to the tills.
MV Owner View Drop Down
Chalfontonian
Chalfontonian

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MV Owner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 December 2018 at 10:25pm
yes i hate that, breaks down the trust
EmmaO View Drop Down
Chalfontonian
Chalfontonian

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EmmaO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 December 2018 at 7:16pm
Judds are excellent, we are very much in the position of use it or loose it, they have seen a drop in trade since M&S opened which I can't fathom as their meat is so superior and it's a one minute walk around the corner. Please remember our local traders this Christmas.
The artist formerly known as Bobblehead :)
MV Owner View Drop Down
Chalfontonian
Chalfontonian

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MV Owner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 December 2018 at 10:18pm
Im sure Judds meat is good, as is that in Savanna
Bucks Fizz View Drop Down
Chalfontonian
Chalfontonian

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bucks Fizz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 December 2018 at 10:18am
Walked into Waitrose at 8 o'clock this morning and bought my Christmas fowl, plus various other goodies. I'd already 'done' Tesco at 7am. Not another soul in sight. Will get all my veg and fruit from Mr Birring and I'm all set for Christmas. Big Sigh. And relax. A very merry Christmas to one and all, and a happy New Year>
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>