Forum Home Forum Home > Chalfont St Peter > News and Gossip
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Garden Centres

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Villager
Villager

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Piglet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Garden Centres
    Posted: 31 October 2018 at 10:44am
Although I've been in the area nearly 10 years, I still haven't been to the garden centres on the A40 towards Denham.  What does everyone think?  Are they worth a visit/value for money etc?
Sponsored Links

EmmaO View Drop Down
Chalfontonian
Chalfontonian

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EmmaO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 October 2018 at 4:42pm
Shanes is good had lots of bedding plants from there, village plants is good again had several things from them, Tendercare is good for mature, larger plants but it's very expensive imho and unless I needed something I could only get from them then I avoid because of the cost.
The artist formerly known as Bobblehead :)
Jojo View Drop Down
Sandbox
Sandbox

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jojo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 October 2018 at 8:03pm
Smiths Garden Centre is well worth a visit. It's on the Oxford Road so a little further on from Denham, heading towards Uxbridge but the slightly longer drive is well worth it... an excellent range of plants (plus a cafe & lots more!) and very helpful staff. 
AlpinaB5 View Drop Down
Villager
Villager

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AlpinaB5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 October 2018 at 8:35pm
Can I suggest the Rowan Nursery just before the old Shire Horse Centre in Gorelands Lane. It’s a locally owned place and does the best English Breakfast once you’ve spent all your money. keep it local.
AlpinaB5 View Drop Down
Villager
Villager

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AlpinaB5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 October 2018 at 8:37pm
Can I suggest the Rowan Nursery just before the old Shire Horse Centre in Gorelands Lane. It’s a locally owned place and does the best English Breakfast once you’ve spent all your money. keep it local.
Bucks Fizz View Drop Down
Chalfontonian
Chalfontonian

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bucks Fizz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 November 2018 at 8:03am
I, too, would endorse both Smiths, on the Uxbridge Road, and Rowan up on Denham Lane. Rowan is a small, family-run nursery and is a wee bit pricey, but the place is lovely even to just drop into for coffee and cake or a splendid snack lunch in nice surroundings. You can lunch out in the open air in fine weather, too. Hubby and I often pop into Smiths for a bit of breakfast then spend an hour or two drifting amongst their huge selection of plants and trees. If you find browsing around garden centres therapeutic, then you will love Smiths especially. Get there well before lunchtime, though, as, partly because of its location, lots of passing businessmen pop in for lunch and the car park can get full around then. Their plants are delivered several times a week and are always of the very best quality. Enjoy.
EmmaO View Drop Down
Chalfontonian
Chalfontonian

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EmmaO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 November 2018 at 9:13am
Agree with all these comments about our local garden centres, we are lucky. Also, Rowans have a scheme whereby if you have a child at a local school and buy your personal Christmas tree from them, telling them your childs school at point of purchase they give the school vouchers/a tree to spend on gardening kit and seeds. Village Plants on the A413 also do this for the school in Denham.
The artist formerly known as Bobblehead :)
watsy View Drop Down
Chalfont Admin
Chalfont Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote watsy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 November 2018 at 10:14am
I use Rowans and Yaldens to keep things local, Smiths for a wider selection and Chalfont St Peter Garden Club on Sunday mornings.  Had a lovely brunch at Rowans' Muddy Boots cafe the other Sunday - the 'new' owners have really improved it over the last few years.
big baggles View Drop Down
Chalfont Snapper
Chalfont Snapper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote big baggles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 November 2018 at 6:48pm
i use rowans, but i use shanes on the a40 in denham, - i used to use denham growers too  but its currently changing hands ...

smiths is good but crazy expensive....

but if you are ever out that way then long acres in bagshot is amazing 

need a stella and i need one now !
 Post Reply Post Reply