Forum Home Forum Home > Chalfont St Peter > Memory Lane
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Commenting on old pictures

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456>
Author
Chalfont Snapper
Chalfont Snapper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ArtB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 January 2018 at 10:36am
Originally posted by emstdjm emstdjm wrote:

In one of the photographs of the church it’s stated it’s taken from the meadows on which it is assumed now the site of the main car park in the scrap book in the library there is an article and picture that suggests that the article park is built on the church’s graveyard. Do we know if that is true and if there were and photographic record of the grave stones?

Also does anyone know when st peter’s Garden was laid out as it currently is?

emstdjm

Not sure if it helps but above is from the 1923 revision of the OS map and this link to The Limes site:

Art

Edited by ArtB - 09 January 2018 at 5:36pm
*** If you're not part of the solution, you may be part of the problem!
Sponsored Links

hissing sid View Drop Down
Chalfont Oldie
Chalfont Oldie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hissing sid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 January 2018 at 1:42am
Re the two pictures of the church posted 19th Jan & 22nd Jan. Although they are postmarked 1909 and 1942.
The second picture 1942, is older than the picture 1909. Looking at the bottom of the photo, it looks as if somebody has written 9-6-08. I think it would be fair to say that is closer to the date, the tree has all its limbs, were on the other picture they’ve been missing for awhile.
One other point of interest. In what could have been 1908, there was no clock on the church tower, plus what looks like a door. Where’s the picture with a postmark 1909, has a clock.
Does anybody know when the church was fitted with a clock on the tower?

Edited by hissing sid - 23 January 2018 at 1:43am
Hissing Sid

It's a free country, adopt whatever PC stance you want. Just don't tell me which stance I should take just because it clashes with your opinion.

ArtB View Drop Down
Chalfont Snapper
Chalfont Snapper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ArtB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 January 2018 at 10:13am
The PM'd 1909 picture was probably taken about 1907/8 as there is not a gas lamp in the middle of the row of pipes. The PM'd 1942 picture is more of a challenge. I reckon that the clock has been bleached out and perhaps the light has given an odd effect down the left hand edge of the 'door' as that is where the brickwork steps back. It almost looks as if the detail of the tower has been hand drawn in but I could be wrong.
The tree to the left of the main window - could the difference be due to growth rather than trimming?

Art

Chalfont Oldie
Chalfont Oldie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hissing sid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 January 2018 at 11:48am
Re the tree, I’m making reference to the big tree at the front. The picture with the limbs present were obviously taken, before the tree without the limbs. Taking into account, the ivy on the stump has recovered. I would suggest that picture was taken at least 3 years after the limbs were removed
Hissing Sid

It's a free country, adopt whatever PC stance you want. Just don't tell me which stance I should take just because it clashes with your opinion.

Chalfont Oldie
Chalfont Oldie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hissing sid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 January 2018 at 12:24pm
Re the clock on the church tower, this was installed in 1805.
Hissing Sid

Rich Kid View Drop Down
Chalfont Snapper
Chalfont Snapper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rich Kid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 January 2018 at 12:54pm
Looking at the old photo's I think the village would have possibly retained its more of its village feel if Market Place hadn't been built. The centre of the village may have been kept where it traditionally was, i.e., the High Street/Church area. Of course it also didn't need the hideous Precinct which came later! 
Yes Market Place and the Precinct provided more shops but at what price? Chalfont St Giles didn't suffer from such development and has retained its village feel, it's a pity CSP couldn't have done the same. Just saying ...
ArtB View Drop Down
Chalfont Snapper
Chalfont Snapper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote ArtB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 March 2018 at 6:08pm
Page 20 - "View of the church from the meadow (Mill Meadows / play area as it is now). Postmarked 1918."

I would have thought that this was from the allotments (as it is now) with the two girls standing in the school playground.

Art

Edited by ArtB - 01 March 2018 at 6:09pm
ArtB View Drop Down
Chalfont Snapper
Chalfont Snapper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ArtB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 March 2018 at 2:48pm
Page 21 of the pictures. Ref: View of the parish church from the Misbourne River and 'willows island' - does the island still exist?  Post marked 1915.

I think it was Willow Island that was behind the beginning of the High Street roughly on the High Street side of the Misbourne opposite to what is now Hiljon Crescent.

Art

Edited by ArtB - 12 March 2018 at 2:53pm
Chalfont Oldie
Chalfont Oldie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote hissing sid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 March 2018 at 7:31pm
From something I posted earlier......a lot earlier

http://chalfontstpeter.com/forum/willows-island_topic2051.html
Hissing Sid

Chalfont Oldie
Chalfont Oldie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote hissing sid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 March 2018 at 1:34pm
Re the question, filling in the old coach entrance being filled in..page 22 photo #2
I certainly remember this being done, I’m thinking around 1958/59 time.

However, this picture was taken long before that. Note, the barber shop between the arch and the road.

In earlier pictures dated 1960’s on this forum, there are trees along the low wall of the car park. I’m suggesting those trees are around 10- 15 years old. So this picture could be early 50’s

Edited by hissing sid - 20 March 2018 at 4:14pm
Hissing Sid

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456>