Forum Home Forum Home > Chalfont St Peter > Memory Lane
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Commenting on old pictures

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 6>
Author
Villager
Villager

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chilternman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Commenting on old pictures
    Posted: 24 October 2017 at 8:19pm
I am enjoying the old pics but it's just frustrating that we can't comment on them, is there really no way we can open this up again, I was looking at the one of the library and remember going in there with my mother, it didn't look like that in1960 but it was there at the top of the village.
Sponsored Links

hissing sid View Drop Down
Chalfont Oldie
Chalfont Oldie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hissing sid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 October 2017 at 8:42pm
Hissing Sid

It's a free country, adopt whatever PC stance you want. Just don't tell me which stance I should take just because it clashes with your opinion.

Chalfont Oldie
Chalfont Oldie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote hissing sid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 October 2017 at 12:26pm
Re the picture of the post office and library October 24th
We’ve calculated that the post office moved from this location to the lower side of the vale around 1940

Edited by hissing sid - 29 October 2017 at 2:01pm
Hissing Sid

It's a free country, adopt whatever PC stance you want. Just don't tell me which stance I should take just because it clashes with your opinion.

Chilternman View Drop Down
Villager
Villager

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chilternman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 November 2017 at 6:26pm
The last picture posted of the George from a different angle is fantastic, I've never seen that one before and it shows the old footbridge over the misbourne, I remember a bridge but I thought it was in a slightly different position, where are you getting these pics???
Chalfont Oldie
Chalfont Oldie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hissing sid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 November 2017 at 7:25pm
Originally posted by Chilternman Chilternman wrote:

The last picture posted of the George from a different angle is fantastic, I've never seen that one before and it shows the old footbridge over the misbourne, I remember a bridge but I thought it was in a slightly different position, where are you getting these pics???

If you compare the bridge to the first picture posted ( page 1), it has to before 1909. I’m suggesting it part of the set dated pre 1904.

Edited by hissing sid - 21 November 2017 at 7:31pm
Hissing Sid

ArtB View Drop Down
Chalfont Snapper
Chalfont Snapper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ArtB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 November 2017 at 8:28pm
I'm inclined to agree with Sid... Later parapets look like iron railings, the brick one was obviously earlier. The George shows the "Good Stabling" and I can't find any reference to "Mills Bakers & "Cakemakers?" in anything I've got.
The "Good Stabling" was certainly there in 1906 if Page 13 is correct.

Art
*** If you're not part of the solution, you may be part of the problem!
Chalfont Oldie
Chalfont Oldie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hissing sid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 November 2017 at 2:00am
Originally posted by ArtB ArtB wrote:

I'm inclined to agree with Sid... Later parapets look like iron railings, the brick one was obviously earlier. The George shows the "Good Stabling" and I can't find any reference to "Mills Bakers & "Cakemakers?" in anything I've got.
The "Good Stabling" was certainly there in 1906 if Page 13 is correct.

Art

If you have a copy of “chalfont St. Peter, a lost village, Audrey Wheelband.
Page 32 plus 35. Reference is made about Mr Mills the baker.

Hissing Sid

Chalfont Oldie
Chalfont Oldie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hissing sid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 November 2017 at 2:12am
Originally posted by Chilternman Chilternman wrote:

There is a book by Audrey Wheelband of old postcards of Chalfont St Peter.
Picture #32 was taken in 1928. She says the two footbridge are now gone. As can be seen in the picture.
Hissing Sid

watsy View Drop Down
Chalfont Admin
Chalfont Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote watsy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 November 2017 at 10:19am
I thought that George photo was slightly different from the others posted.

I have bought all the photos from Ebay over a number of years.

I have Audrey's book and when I run out of Postcards etc was looking at plundering additional photos from that next.  Final project would be to take photos around the village to give the current day view- though Google Streetview does a good job of this already of course.

Marie at Fired Works at the top of the market place has all the postcards in high res if you would like them made into anything for Christmas.
ArtB View Drop Down
Chalfont Snapper
Chalfont Snapper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ArtB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 November 2017 at 6:33pm
Originally posted by watsy watsy wrote:

I thought that George photo was slightly different from the others posted.

It's a different view but judging by the brick parapet on the bridge it is pre 1906 as you have a 1906 one with railings. The pre 1904 photo on Page 9 shows the brick parapet.

Edit:

"High Street - where the Precinct is now, postmarked 1904. Corner of the George - a follow up from the other day." 

on Page 15 of the photos shows the bridge with the Iron Railings and by the look of it the remains of the brick parapet in the river.

Art

Edited by ArtB - 23 November 2017 at 5:32pm
*** If you're not part of the solution, you may be part of the problem!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 6>