Forum Home Forum Home > Chalfont St Peter > News and Gossip
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

water meters

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Villager
Villager

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Libtek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: water meters
    Posted: 31 July 2017 at 1:15pm
The engineer from Affinity water was unable to locate our external mains stopcock so they could fit a water meter to our house. We have their plumber coming tomorrow to see if they can fit a meter on the stop cock inside the house. But this doesn't deal with the missing stopcock in the road. Has anyone else had to deal with this situation and  what did you do please. I would have thought these things would have been mapped by whoever Affinity took over from, but apparently not. Thanks very much in advance
Weekends are a bit like rainbows. They look good from a distance but disappear when you get up close to them.
Sponsored Links

Sunray View Drop Down
Villager
Villager

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sunray Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 July 2017 at 3:50pm
Our house was built in the 1920s, we had a water meter fitted at the stopcock about 15 years ago.

The guy turned up with a rough map of the road with approximate location of stopcocks, the drawing was donkey's years old. Once in the approximate area he found the metal stopcock cover with a metal detector, it was under about 6 inches of grass and soil. He only disturbed about 2 feet x 2 feet of grass.

They fitted the meter about 10 days later, all still works well and we pay far less for water.
Sunray
Libtek View Drop Down
Villager
Villager

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Libtek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 July 2017 at 5:54pm
Thanks Sunray, I hadn't thought of a metal detector, although my husband has got one so we'll give it a go tonight. I really don't want to have to pay for a new stopcock to be installed which is the other option.
Weekends are a bit like rainbows. They look good from a distance but disappear when you get up close to them.
MV Owner View Drop Down
Chalfontonian
Chalfontonian

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MV Owner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 July 2017 at 6:19pm
you may want to bear in mind that having the meter in your property means they need access to your property to read it whereas in the path they dont need access

Edited by MV Owner - 31 July 2017 at 6:19pm
ma0nps View Drop Down
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ma0nps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 July 2017 at 6:39pm
Have they ever actually taken a reading? Only moved to the area 15 months ago or so. House already has a meter, next to the pavement, but after giving an opening meter reading they don't seem to have ever taken one themselves and just charge me a standard amount of money... not sure if I'm missing something I should do- are we supposed to take readings ourselves?
Sunray View Drop Down
Villager
Villager

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sunray Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 July 2017 at 8:12pm
our meter is read about every 6 months, we never see anone, just notice that the grass around the lid has been disturbed.
Sunray
MV Owner View Drop Down
Chalfontonian
Chalfontonian

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MV Owner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 July 2017 at 8:38pm
its also a good isolation point and easier than going to the stopcock
Paul_G View Drop Down
Chalfontonian
Chalfontonian

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Paul_G Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 August 2017 at 12:44pm
We had a significant leak about 6 months ago inside our house about six inches before the stopcock. So closing the stopcock had no effect on the leak. We were able to cut off the supply in the street, thereby stopping the flow of water and  significantly reducing the overall damage to the property. The area by the internal stopcock is still open and exposed to the air to dry out - repairs/redecoration not yet possible.

Libtek, I suggest you seriously think about getting a stopcock at the border of your property (you're responsible for leaks after that point.) I've no idea if Affinty or you pick up the cost.

HTH,  Paul
GODDESS View Drop Down
Local
Local

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GODDESS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 August 2017 at 2:59pm
regarding costs, british gas  are going ahead with their costs and , 'justifiable'  , bills increase, according to today's news
who needs "friends" when divine JESUS Says 'n' SHOWS HE LOVES ME
MV Owner View Drop Down
Chalfontonian
Chalfontonian

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MV Owner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 August 2017 at 5:42pm
thats the point I was making Paul g
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>