Forum Home Forum Home > Chalfont St Peter > News and Gossip
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

The Grange - Bunkers or Tunnels but unsafe

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
Author
Sandbox
Sandbox

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Joanne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: The Grange - Bunkers or Tunnels but unsafe
    Posted: 15 July 2017 at 11:26am
My son and his friends told me about a secret bunker they'd found near where we live. Very exciting stuff for a bunch of kids!! They took me to the Holy Cross site (near the entrance to the Grange off Gold Hill) and to the left in the woods before the nun's graveyard is a dell where they have started to fell and chop the trees down. In amongst the area are a number of holes (with significant drops into the tunnels/bunkers) If you were taking a stroll you could easily not see them and fall down those holes.
A bit further to the left is an entrance with concrete steps and an old wooden door has been taken off the entrance. Whether these are old war bunkers or the start of the mythical (!) tunnels that lead down to the greyhound I've no idea.
There is also a stone area with steps built around it with a statue of Mary on it.
My point is, as exciting as it is, the drops are dangerous for inquisitive children and walkers alike and are the developers doing anything to protect this area if it's of historical interest.
I called the local police but they said it was a council issue, but I'm wondering which parts of the site are public spaces and which are not, it's not very clear.
Can anyone help?
P.S I have lots of photos but don't think I can post them to this post
Sponsored Links

EmmaO View Drop Down
Chalfontonian
Chalfontonian

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EmmaO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 July 2017 at 12:12pm
Hi Joanne I've sent you a private message with a contact at the parish council who might be able to help.
The artist formerly known as Bobblehead :)
watsy View Drop Down
Chalfont Admin
Chalfont Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote watsy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 July 2017 at 12:24pm
Historically important, should be listed. Could / should be a big tourist attraction for the village. Still find it amazing the Grange building wasn't listed as hugely significant in local history.
EmmaO View Drop Down
Chalfontonian
Chalfontonian

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EmmaO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 July 2017 at 12:34pm
Yes Watsy I agree.....
watsy View Drop Down
Chalfont Admin
Chalfont Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote watsy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 July 2017 at 12:48pm
Back to the 1600's at least - couple of scans:

Chalfont Grange, Chalfont St Peter

Chalfont Grange, Chalfont St Peter
Joanne View Drop Down
Sandbox
Sandbox

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Joanne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 July 2017 at 1:47pm
Thanks Emma I will call them on Monday.
How can I post photos on this post so that you can have a look?
brewski View Drop Down
Chalfontonian
Chalfontonian

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brewski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 July 2017 at 4:08pm
Surely this is private property?

Or it used to be when the nuns owned it, used to be signs saying keep out.

Saying that, I'm intrigued and will be doing my own investigation!😉

Edited by brewski - 15 July 2017 at 4:09pm
Too many laws...
Too few examples...
EmmaO View Drop Down
Chalfontonian
Chalfontonian

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EmmaO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 July 2017 at 5:40pm
Originally posted by Joanne Joanne wrote:

Thanks Emma I will call them on Monday.
How can I post photos on this post so that you can have a look?

I don't know! I'm rubbish, Watsy can tell you though ;)
Joanne View Drop Down
Sandbox
Sandbox

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Joanne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 July 2017 at 8:00pm
I've put the pics on my twitter page, hope you can see these https://twitter.com/jr_lothian/status/886297949701013505
Or search JR_Lothian
ArtB View Drop Down
Chalfont Snapper
Chalfont Snapper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ArtB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 July 2017 at 7:51am
Could it/they be an "Ice House" for the Grange as there was a pond at the top of Gold Hill and on old maps there are tracks down to that area.

Art 
*** If you're not part of the solution, you may be part of the problem!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>