Forum Home Forum Home > Chalfont St Peter > News and Gossip
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

M&S and Costa Rumour

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Villager
Villager

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dickybird Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: M&S and Costa Rumour
    Posted: 31 March 2017 at 8:57am
Finally got confirmation at the pc meeting last night, directly from the owners of the Precinct - they are in current, positive negotiations with M&S Food and Costa...
At last - confirmation of the rumour!

Smile
Sponsored Links

Garry View Drop Down
Villager
Villager

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Garry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 March 2017 at 1:04pm
Originally posted by dickybird dickybird wrote:

Finally got confirmation at the pc meeting last night, directly from the owners of the Precinct - they are in current, positive negotiations with M&S Food and Costa...
At last - confirmation of the rumour!

Smile

Nice to hear some positive news on the precinct from our Parish Council,  hopefully they (the owners) can successfully conclude the business end and get them located.

I wonder if part of the negotiations will be the 1 hour limit on the parking, I can't imagine Costa being too happy with that, could you imagine shopping at M&S and then not having enough time to for a coffee and meet up with friends after.
Lets hope the owners come to their senses and make some sensible decisions regarding the parking

Thanks for the update DickyBird
big baggles View Drop Down
Chalfont Snapper
Chalfont Snapper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote big baggles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 April 2017 at 2:41pm
slightly concerned about costa...do we really need a costa ? also think this may be bad news to our great independent coffee shops in the village, halls, crumbs, madeira, and bread house, the might of costa/ whitbread may see negative outcomes for our village coffee shops...

keep it local
need a stella and i need one now !
hissing sid View Drop Down
Chalfont Oldie
Chalfont Oldie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hissing sid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 April 2017 at 7:35pm
Originally posted by big baggles big baggles wrote:

slightly concerned about costa...do we really need a costa ? also think this may be bad news to our great independent coffee shops in the village, halls, crumbs, madeira, and bread house, the might of costa/ whitbread may see negative outcomes for our village coffee shops...

keep it local

Tim Horton's are just about to cross the pond. Then there will be one on every corner.
Hissing Sid

It's a free country, adopt whatever PC stance you want. Just don't tell me which stance I should take just because it clashes with your opinion.

DBBowls View Drop Down
Sandbox
Sandbox

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DBBowls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2017 at 11:49am
I disagree Garry, I think the 1 hour time limit is great, before it was impossible to get a spot if you wanted to pop into to get some milk or a cup of tea and a bun from Halls. You had all those people trying to save a few pence in the church car park and leaving their cars for 2 or 3 hours in the precinct.

Not sure I'm too happy about Costa, I think it's not great for the local coffee shops that a big chain is coming, but looks like it's happening, the planning application is in:

https://isa.chiltern.gov.uk/online-applications/applicationDetails.do?activeTab=documents&keyVal=OPS4YVESM8C00

If M&S come in it will probably be hard to find parking again in the precinct with all the new traffic those two shops will bring, but if that's the way things are going it would be good for Chalfont to have some shops opening rather than closing. Hopefully it will rejuvenate some of the existing traders.
Bucks Fizz View Drop Down
Chalfontonian
Chalfontonian

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bucks Fizz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2017 at 1:38pm
Luckily, when it comes to coffee shops, we still have choice. Madeira still serve the very best coffee in the village - by a long way. Delta coffee is the reason Portuguese people walk past one café to get to the next. They seek out the red delta sign. Also, presumably, Costa won't have a pretty, sunny tea garden as Madeira does. I no longer buy groceries in the village, but I do go there for coffee. I also buy clothes and jewellery at the Leather shop and stationery and even books from Office Direct. I may come back to the village for food when M&S arrive though. I hope they'll be selling more than sandwiches.
big baggles View Drop Down
Chalfont Snapper
Chalfont Snapper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote big baggles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2017 at 8:44pm
i think  shops trading are better than empty ones, - however i wont be using costa, - i like to support the independent coffee shops instead, costa are fine on the side of the motorway where there is nothing else, but  dont really want a faceless coffee shop  in my village.... but each to their own

need a stella and i need one now !
Walrus View Drop Down
Chalfontonian
Chalfontonian

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Walrus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 June 2017 at 9:25am
Everyone said that about Costa in at Giles but it's the most popular because it's the best - service, food, hygiene, coffee quality .

Is back in the game! :)
CharlieB View Drop Down
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CharlieB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 June 2017 at 2:28pm
If you look at the documents on the planning link, they have provided some interesting appendices that highlight the benefits of having coffee shops on the high street and how much they are of benefit to the local economy.

I live in one of the flats at the precinct and it is currently soulless, dirty with litter and so forth.  Costa would be a great addition to the precinct.  I do not believe that Halls would be affected adversely at all, more so a benefit...you can't buy the cakes, loaves, home made buns/rolls from the deli counter in Costa so its a slightly different market and they do coffee yes, but that won't be affected, people will still buy their coffee there.
I think you'd be surprised at the increase in coffee shop users with a new shop as opposed to a new coffee shop diluting what you are assuming to be the maximum user base currently using all the coffee shops.  I think you'll find they will still be full and doing a good trade.
Plus you will always get people that will support the local traders which is great, but a new Costa will also be a benefit to the local traders in the great scheme of things whoever buys their coffee there or not.

I'm pretty certain that we can accommodate both local coffee independents and Costa for the overall benefit of the village high street.

Oh, and i hate coffee with a passion but still think it will be a welcome addition :)
CharlieB
Barn Owl View Drop Down
Villager
Villager

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Barn Owl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 June 2017 at 8:08pm
Originally posted by big baggles big baggles wrote:

i think  shops trading are better than empty ones, - however i wont be using costa, - i like to support the independent coffee shops instead, costa are fine on the side of the motorway where there is nothing else, but  dont really want a faceless coffee shop  in my village.... but each to their own

Hear hear.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>