Forum Home Forum Home > Chalfont St Peter > News and Gossip
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

new wall on Market Place

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>
Author
Villager
Villager

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Garry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 March 2017 at 8:03am
Would you buy a house from these builders? if that wall represents their workmanship, its a mockery of everything and I have no confidence in any body be it builders, councils to get a decent job finished on this major landmark (and it is now) in our village.
I don't know what is being allowed to happen to our village, I was born here 67 years ago and have seen some big changes, I watched as the council allowed that monstrosity of a concrete precinct allowed to be constructed instead of anything in keeping with the rest of the village.
Drive around the area and look how the villages and towns of Gerrards Cross, Beaconsfield, Chalfont St Giles, Amersham and Chesham look in comparison to here at Chalfont St Peter. Our village is appearing to be the rejected and neglected one, or maybe it is just me that i seeing these things. 
Confidence and belief, definitely not, just a small bit of optimism that our councils Parish, District and County stop blaming each other and unite and get something positive done.
Sponsored Links

Butterfly View Drop Down
Villager
Villager

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Butterfly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 March 2017 at 9:38am
ClapClapClapClapClapClap
EmmaO View Drop Down
Chalfontonian
Chalfontonian

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EmmaO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 March 2017 at 1:04pm
Lesleyr, how do you know that? Purely out of interest? X
The artist formerly known as Bobblehead :)
brewski View Drop Down
Chalfontonian
Chalfontonian

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brewski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 March 2017 at 1:13pm
Originally posted by EmmaO EmmaO wrote:

Lesleyr, how do you know that? Purely out of interest? X

I rarely hear a UK voice when I hear the workers around the village, and a number of the cars parked up opposite Gold Hill North have Romanian, Bulgarian number plates.

Was it Gordon Brown who once said "British jobs for British people"?
Too many laws...
Too few examples...
EmmaO View Drop Down
Chalfontonian
Chalfontonian

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EmmaO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 March 2017 at 2:59pm
No doubt there will be a lot of international workers up there.I'm in the village several times daily and see workers of all nationalities in the village including brits, indeed the site manager up there is a brit because I've spoken with him.

I was just wondering how lesleyr knew they were recruited from abroad on half the money. My experiences of recruiting for the landscaping and retail industries taught me that should we get a British CV sent in it was an automatic interview, easy because there were so few and it wasn't because we were paying cheap rates, in both instances over the national average as they were small, independent, quality companies, one operating in Surrey commuter belt, massive contracts worth a bomb. We regularly advertised for jobs and got not a single British CV amongst a hundred applicants. My recent experience of having work done by some lovely polish lads I've got to know who worked in one part of my home and a local company who worked in another, both good, showed me that the polish were on a higher day rate than their UK counterparts, mostly because of the length of time it took them to do the work overall and what they consider 'a day' to mean.

But never did we have to advertise abroad or have cheaper rates of pay to attract staff. So I was just wondering how Lesleyr knew that because I hate to hear of companies recruiting directly from abroad and paying peanuts, it's not necessary when we have lots of willing people here who want to work irrespective of nationality.
lesleyr View Drop Down
Villager
Villager

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lesleyr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 March 2017 at 6:33pm
Emma my husband is a local bricklayer. He went onto the site just after Christmas and had worked with the site agent on another job, he got talking to him and told him that none of the trades were recruited locally then he told him that it was handed over to a recruitment agency to get workers for there and this agency recruited in eastern Europe at greatly reduced rates.
lesleyr View Drop Down
Villager
Villager

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lesleyr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 March 2017 at 6:42pm
Emma I am not questioning the fact that they are eastern European, my husband has worked with just about every nationality on the buildings and there are good ones and bad ones if they can do the work then no problems. What I am questioning is the fact that they never recruited in Britain. Your average builder be it carpenter, bricklayer or plasterer does generally not have a C.V. They tend to have portfolios of work, with photos etc, they work on recommendation.
EmmaO View Drop Down
Chalfontonian
Chalfontonian

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote EmmaO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 March 2017 at 6:52pm
Thanks Lesley's. Wasn't insinuating anything and thanks for such a full reply. I agree with the points you make, I was just interested in the origin, it's important to me to understand what's informing my opinions, thanks.
big baggles View Drop Down
Chalfont Snapper
Chalfont Snapper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote big baggles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 March 2017 at 8:23am
you can often see a group of construction workers sat on the grass bank by the end of hampden road by  stringers cottages- they often have large amounts of alcohol, -cans of beer  tyskie and the likes- this and the fact english is not their mother tongue leads me to believe they're foreign workers....

but i guess if 8 cans of beer is your lunch then the standard of work is bound to slip !!!
need a stella and i need one now !
big baggles View Drop Down
Chalfont Snapper
Chalfont Snapper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote big baggles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 March 2017 at 8:28am
Originally posted by Rich Kid Rich Kid wrote:

Will there be a traffic light controlled pedestrian crossing at The Vale/Market Place junction?

there isnt going to be one, 

the tactile plates have been installed and that is it, - it denotes a crossing point  with a dropped curb, but that is it,  the visually impaired are at risk...

its a suicide crossing, - 

also being so close to the end of the vale - in addition with the silly built out curbs any long vehicle ( like the delivery trucks to grant and stone ) the drivers will be negotiating the build out curbs, looking in the mirrors to stop their vehicles mounting the extra pavements while the front of their vehicles will be ontop of the ' crossing' point...

its an accident waiting to happen
need a stella and i need one now !
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>