Forum Home Forum Home > Chalfont St Peter > News and Gossip
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Feast Day

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Chalfont Star
Chalfont Star

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave-R Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 November 2015 at 3:48pm
Originally posted by Walrus Walrus wrote:

Bigger issues than a few rowdy teenagers!

Such as
Sponsored Links

Sunray View Drop Down
Villager
Villager

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sunray Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 November 2015 at 4:28pm
I was also confused by "Bigger Issues" I've only been aware of people being very friendly and enjoying themselves at the concert. There is a lot of litter afterwards but that is always cleared up.
Sunray
EmmaO View Drop Down
Chalfontonian
Chalfontonian

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EmmaO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 November 2015 at 7:05pm
Obviously Walrus can answer what he meant as bigger issues but I can answer what I see as bigger issues! There are 6/7 people I believe organising the whole day and the whole evening, this is a massive undertaking which I understand they work on to a greater or lesser extent all year. Each year it becomes bigger and bigger which is great but it brings with it certain legal requirements regarding peoples safety and increases the workload year in, year out.

As all local voluntary organisations will tell you, and as you know I am the poppy appeal organiser, we struggle to get the number of volunteers we need to stage events or fulfill the basics of what we are trying to provide.

I asked on here for volunteers, asking people to give up an hour of their time, or a morning or afternoon and other than Marie from Fired Earth (who was awesome and raised nearly £200, thank-you, thank-you and please go and buy presents from her wonderful shop for your friends and family at Christmas)I got ZERO response, same as last year appeal for help.

The big issue is that this is a community event it should be staged by a community but it is being left to the same people over and over again, we are lucky they haven't just said, you know what we ask and ask for volunteers and nobody helps us, sod it we'll just give up!! I help out with bits and bobs here and there, miniscule amounts, some of them in turn help me with the Poppy Appeal, but hang on, that's the same volunteers doing both things. People only have the ability to handle so much work and I can bet they are actually doing more hours staging this event some weeks than they would do in a paid for job, and I know most if not all of them work a 'real' job as well.

I know that last year the amount of rubbish left on the common was awful and the people who did volunteer were there hours and hours. They have wonderful volunteers (as do I!) but it's just not enough people. It's not just rubbish, it's the time liaising with the council, police, local organisations for stands, recruiting, contacting and allocating volunteers, co-ordinators on the day, traffic management staff, marketing, stage managing, dog shows, car shows, toilets, local schools, security, programs, rubbish, need I go on? 7 people on the committee???

I think I've gone on a bit so I'll stop there. I think if we want these generous hearted, community spirited angels to carry on with organising this event then more people need to stand up and roll their sleeves up!! Or offer their companies to support the event, anyone with a cleaning company? Anyone run a security firm, event management company?
The artist formerly known as Bobblehead :)
EmmaO View Drop Down
Chalfontonian
Chalfontonian

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EmmaO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 November 2015 at 7:09pm
I'm exhausted reading that back!! I don't mean it to sound like a rant, I really don't, I'm just passionate that these guys get some more support to stage this event, there must be people out there who can help them actually organise it, I'm off for a lie down!
The artist formerly known as Bobblehead :)
Walrus View Drop Down
Chalfontonian
Chalfontonian

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Walrus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 November 2015 at 7:53pm
Yes, Emma is right.  The event has grown and grown, with popularity comes new issues and red tape which need resolving. This combined with reducing volunteers mean a rethink is needed.  There are issues with underage drinking which (I understand) were very serious this year, increased complaints from numerous people and increased things that are needed because the event gets bigger.

I myself don't contribute to the organisation feast day but I do contribute to Fun Night and have done for nearly 10 years.  Fun Night, this year is facing similar pressures - so much so that the fun fair in the precinct can not happen this year.  This knocks the income significantly, so we need a rethink too. 

Fun Night operates on a core of 5-6 people and one person in particular does most of the work. In addition to this, we need about 10 volunteers to give 1-2 hours of their time on the night to help it run smoothly.  Without these volunteers were at risk of breaching the obligations laid down by the authorities to put on the event, which can lead to organisers taking on personal risks.  Something they shouldn't have to do.

Volunteers are critical to these events.  So, if you want them to happen, please Volunteer 1-2 hours of your time.  It will be appreciated by the whole village.
Is back in the game! :)
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12