Forum Home Forum Home > Chalfont St Peter > News and Gossip
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

What do u do about a yapping dog??

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 9>
Author
Chalfontonian
Chalfontonian

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MV Owner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: What do u do about a yapping dog??
    Posted: 25 June 2015 at 10:26am
Friends,

I live on the Winkers side of the village just off Joiners Lane.

In or around 'The Drive' or 'Joiners Way' (which are both roads that come off of Joiners Lane) there is a yapping dog.  The owners leave it out in the garden for prolonged periods where it yaps, yaps and then yaps more.

Can I ask what the general thoughts are on how to deal with this as it is getting beyond a joke.  Whilst I know dogs bark, there appears to be no attempts to calm him down.

Cheers

MV
Sponsored Links

EmmaO View Drop Down
Chalfontonian
Chalfontonian

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EmmaO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 June 2015 at 2:09pm
Hello! I feel for you. I have a puppy and it is hard work stopping her from barking but we are getting there with consistent training! Because, like you I'd find it intolerable to have a barking dog near me all the time. Are the owners approachable? I have a friend who had no idea her dog was barking all day till her neighbour told her as she was out at work, she was horrified and took action immediately. Maybe you could head over there in a calm way and say 'look, I don't know if you are aware but the dog is barking constantly and it's really causing us stress' are they the kind that might respond? If they are approachable there is an excellent and inexpensive dog trainer locally called Regan on 07720 773591 who might be able to help you? When I attend my next training session, Tuesday, I'll ask him if he has any tips for you too. Hopefully they read the forum and your work will be done!
The artist formerly known as Bobblehead :)
Bucks Fizz View Drop Down
Chalfontonian
Chalfontonian

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bucks Fizz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 June 2015 at 4:32pm
What a thoughtful post EmmaO.
MV Owner View Drop Down
Chalfontonian
Chalfontonian

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MV Owner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 June 2015 at 6:31pm
thanks emma for your help, id be very grateful for the feedback!
EmmaO View Drop Down
Chalfontonian
Chalfontonian

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EmmaO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 June 2015 at 7:18pm
Of course, no bother at all.
MV Owner View Drop Down
Chalfontonian
Chalfontonian

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MV Owner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 June 2015 at 12:38pm
he was yapping again last night at about 6.30pm.  Went on for a good 15 mins
MV Owner View Drop Down
Chalfontonian
Chalfontonian

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MV Owner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 June 2015 at 7:41pm
Hi Emma, I think you may have hit the nail on the head.  It may be the dog is left out unchecked as all today and all evening he has been dead quiet.

I have a friend who has recommended gathering evidence (logging yapping etc) before deciding what to do.  So I may in fact start to do that
EmmaO View Drop Down
Chalfontonian
Chalfontonian

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EmmaO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 June 2015 at 8:08pm
That's a good idea because it'll help you clarify in your own mind how frequent it is and you may identify a pattern of times when the barking is worse.

But if I could be so bold as to suggest that in the first instance, if you haven't spoken to the owners before, I would leave the list at home and just try and have a chat with them. I think I'd feel a little intimidated if somebody who hadn't approached me before came armed with a list, but then that might just be me!!! I'd be just polite and very 'British' in the first instance!!! I'll see what the trainer suggests tomorrow as well.
Walrus View Drop Down
Chalfontonian
Chalfontonian

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Walrus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 June 2015 at 8:54pm
You can complain to Chiltern district council environmental health team. They then have to investigate and resolve for you.
Is back in the game! :)
EmmaO View Drop Down
Chalfontonian
Chalfontonian

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EmmaO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 July 2015 at 5:37pm
Hello! The dog trainer said this has to be dealt with via the owners. Anything you do over the fence so to speak, will make matters worse. In the first instance he recommends talking to the owners and making them aware there is a problem. If that doesn't resolve it then you should record the noise nuisance (on a phone?) and contact the CDC Environmental Health Team and they will get involved. But he stressed it is far better to try and sort these things out with a gentle approach in the first instance. Sorry I couldn't be of more help.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 9>