Forum Home Forum Home > Chalfont St Peter > Memory Lane
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Historical Postcard - Gramshaw's Saddlers

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Sandbox
Sandbox

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote goldhiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Historical Postcard - Gramshaw's Saddlers
    Posted: 21 February 2015 at 9:27pm
I am trying to determine the location of this postcard of Gramshaw’s saddlers shown via the link below.  It was alleged to be in High Street, Chalfont St Peter.  The legend above the shopfront declares ‘Gramshaw, saddler, & at Chalfont St Giles’.  The number over the semi-glazed door is ‘9’. I guess from the style of dress that we are probably somewhere in the 1900-1920 range.  Please does anyone have any idea where this shop was?

http://www.the-limes.com/sgd/gramshaw_saddler_1910s.jpg
goldhiller
Sponsored Links

hissing sid View Drop Down
Chalfont Oldie
Chalfont Oldie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote hissing sid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 February 2015 at 12:05pm
This would suggest to me, this shop could be in Slough.

https://books.google.ca/books?id=PPENAAAAQAAJ&pg=PA482&lpg=PA482&dq=gramshaw,+chalfont+st+peter&source=bl&ots=RcO92rH_b-&sig=hsRwLFUbZ8r_IvjNNdyPS5y9hNc&hl=en&sa=X&ei=oMTpVNyjMoa5ggTR7II4&ved=0CB4Q6AEwAA#v=onepage&q=gramshaw%2C%20chalfont%20st%20peter&f=false

Also, this link give the names of residence living in and around the village in 1926. "Gramshore" is not mentioned.

http://www.gx2006.co.uk/directories/1929%20name%20directory.pdf

Note! You can scroll the pages of both links

Edited by hissing sid - 22 February 2015 at 12:26pm
Hissing Sid

It's a free country, adopt whatever PC stance you want. Just don't tell me which stance I should take just because it clashes with your opinion.

Garry View Drop Down
Villager
Villager

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Garry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 February 2015 at 1:04pm
Originally posted by hissing sid hissing sid wrote:

This would suggest to me, this shop could be in Slough.

https://books.google.ca/books?id=PPENAAAAQAAJ&pg=PA482&lpg=PA482&dq=gramshaw,+chalfont+st+peter&source=bl&ots=RcO92rH_b-&sig=hsRwLFUbZ8r_IvjNNdyPS5y9hNc&hl=en&sa=X&ei=oMTpVNyjMoa5ggTR7II4&ved=0CB4Q6AEwAA#v=onepage&q=gramshaw%2C%20chalfont%20st%20peter&f=false

Also, this link give the names of residence living in and around the village in 1926. "Gramshore" is not mentioned.

http://www.gx2006.co.uk/directories/1929%20name%20directory.pdf

Note! You can scroll the pages of both links

Is it not possible that the shop is in the Chalfonts but the family name lived elsewhere, I say this because the sign on the frame of the bike clearly says "Gramshaw Saddler The Chalfonts) emphasis on 'Chalfont' being plural, interesting though.
Chalfont Oldie
Chalfont Oldie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hissing sid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 February 2015 at 2:12pm
Yes, Garry. I agree.
This is how I see the picture.
The picture shows 2 people outside a trade shop, as a picture was taken, this would have to be some historical event for them, I'm suggesting they are brothers or father and son. The sign above the shop shows there is another shop in Chalfont st Giles. The bike says the chalfonts
I'm suggesting, the gentleman on the right rode his bike from Chalfont st Giles. He is dressed up in best shirt, a tie and waistcoat. He is visiting the other gentleman and wants to show he is doing well.
The bike shows his trade covers the chalfonts ( in general) as it doesn't just say Chalfont st Giles ( we know there's a shop in Chalfont st Giles from the store front).
In one of the links I posted, it suggests "Gramshaw" Chalfont st Giles & Slough.
I did some other research, "Gramshaw" is not a very common name, however Gramshaw was often mentioned in a slough paper. I'm not sure if it advertising or not. I can't get it to zoom.

http://www.sloughhistoryonline.org.uk/ixbin/hixclient.exe?a=query&p=slough&f=generic_objectrecord_postsearch.htm&_IXFIRST_=19754&_IXMAXHITS_=1&m=quick_sform&tc1=e&partner=slough&s=kL8qHiXKBMg

If you google " Gramshaw, Chalfont st Giles " you will find were a Gramshaw shoe maker ( leather ??) once had a business.

Edited by hissing sid - 22 February 2015 at 2:50pm
Hissing Sid

It's a free country, adopt whatever PC stance you want. Just don't tell me which stance I should take just because it clashes with your opinion.

goldhiller View Drop Down
Sandbox
Sandbox

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote goldhiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 February 2015 at 4:49pm
Having rootled around in various Kelly's directories, this excerpt from the 'Buckinghamshire 1915' one is typical:

Gramshaw Ernest Harry, Chalfont St Giles, Gerrard’s Cross

Gramshaw Ernest Henry, High Street, Chalfont St Peter, Gerrards Cross

Gramshaw Harry E. Windsor End, Beaconsfield & Chalfont St Peter, Gerrard’s Cross

This means that the shopfront may be in High Street, CSP or Windsor End, Beaconsfield.  The fact that the shopfront and bicycle refer to Gramshaw in general and not to a particular individual seems to imply that it was a family business in two or three locations.  I'll see if I can check neighbouring Kelly's if I can find them...

goldhiller
Chalfont Oldie
Chalfont Oldie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hissing sid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 February 2015 at 5:52pm
Ok, that's some good research but, looking at the link I provided. Did you look into the Slough bit? I'm not sure if Slough would have been part of the address then ( as Slough, used to be in Bucks) I think it would have been Amersham.

I've done a little more research, I'm a little surprised that neither Audrey Wheelband or Colin Seabright have not made any mention of the Saddlers in there books.
Also looking at the picture, the piller on the right of the doorway. Doesn't fit in with any of the old pictures of the High Street.
But, of course, this just my opinion. I could easily be wrong.
I know somebody who might know, I'll be making a phone call tomorrow.

Edited by hissing sid - 22 February 2015 at 6:22pm
Hissing Sid

Sandbox
Sandbox

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote goldhiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 February 2015 at 9:59pm
1915 Berkshire Kelly's has no Gramshaws at all.  The Gramshaws seem to be in Bucks. I wonder if it's Windsor End.
goldhiller
Chalfont Oldie
Chalfont Oldie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hissing sid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 February 2015 at 10:13pm
Originally posted by goldhiller goldhiller wrote:

1915 Berkshire Kelly's has no Gramshaws at all.  The Gramshaws seem to be in Bucks. I wonder if it's Windsor End.

As In Beaconsfield ?
Hissing Sid

Sandbox
Sandbox

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote goldhiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 February 2015 at 7:36am
Yes, as in Beaconsfield.  See my posting above from Kelly's 1915 Bucks:

Gramshaw Harry E. Windsor End, Beaconsfield & Chalfont St Peter, Gerrard’s Cross.

I have just checked on Google Streetview and at 11 Windsor End is .......a saddlers!  Now there's a coincidence. Number 9 to the left has had a remodelling job done in the style of the half timbered storeys above but the moulding at head height on the pilasters (shown on the extreme edges of my photo) is still there in three places on the current building.

Sorted!

Thanks hissing sid for nudging me in the right direction.
goldhiller
ArtB View Drop Down
Chalfont Snapper
Chalfont Snapper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ArtB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 February 2015 at 5:02pm
The reflection in the shop window also confirms it. Just above the saddle at the right hand side of the window is the reflection of the church tower

Art
*** If you're not part of the solution, you may be part of the problem!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>