Forum Home Forum Home > Chalfont St Peter > Memory Lane
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

CSP Families from yesteryear

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 7>
Author
Chalfont Snapper
Chalfont Snapper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rich Kid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 June 2015 at 11:46am
Bails was on corner of the Phygtle and Rickmansworth Lane, opposite Monument Lane. The Phipps family ran a small stop on opposite corner.
There used to be a large bomb crater in the field next to Monument Lane, before it was turned into housing.
Sponsored Links

dot poleykett View Drop Down
Local
Local

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dot poleykett Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 June 2015 at 3:03pm
Thank you Rich Kid-don't remember the bomb crater but I can place Bales now.
I think I went to school with David Phipps.
on another subject, anyone know how the Half hour pond in Leach Croft woods got its name?
I know I was always a little afraid of it as a child.

born and bred View Drop Down
Villager
Villager

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote born and bred Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 June 2015 at 7:59am
The Leachcroft woods formal name is The Ashbeds. The pond you refer to has a particular story. As a youngster there was a story that at midnight a woman's arm would appear at midnight holding a sword. I have no idea how the story came about but it was passed down from generation to generation.
I spent numerous years playing on the woods and had certain landmarks in the woods,such as the fallen silver birch,the bom site and the dell.
As regards the Bails shop,I remember it well. They used to cook beetroot on the premises. They used to deliver shopping to people's houses . I went in there every Saturday morning when I was a schoolboy ,as I worked at Chalfont Motors serving petrol and checking cars oil and tyres.
Happy childhood playing days. Unfortunately nowadays the woods would be seen as a no-go area for children.
local born and bred
Local
Local

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dot poleykett Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 June 2015 at 2:29pm
Thank you Born and bred,
I too remember hours of fun -there was a footpath that you could cut through to Welders Lane onto Jordans used to be an all day adventure.
Fell off a rope swinger over the bomb crater, broke a finger, long walk to Chalford hospital.
you are right wouldn't let the Grandchildren do it today Happy days
Rich Kid View Drop Down
Chalfont Snapper
Chalfont Snapper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rich Kid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 June 2015 at 9:42pm
Originally posted by born and bred born and bred wrote:

when I was a schoolboy ,as I worked at Chalfont Motors serving petrol and checking cars oil and tyres.
Do you remember a guy called 'Dick' who ran a body-shop shop there, repaying cars. I remember I bought one from him but unfortunately the rust soon showed through.
Ray Ruffles worked there as a mechanic.
born and bred View Drop Down
Villager
Villager

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote born and bred Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 June 2015 at 9:13am
Yes I remember Dick Harris. I used him for years after he left the garage trade. He had his own small holding along Denham Lane. He was a lovely guy. Sadly he died a few years ago .
local born and bred
Rich Kid View Drop Down
Chalfont Snapper
Chalfont Snapper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rich Kid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 June 2015 at 7:20pm
Anyone remember the Gilberts who ran the Chalfont Common Post Office? I believe one of the daughters ran the ladies hairdressing shop next door.
Other names from Hillside Close - James Plested, Keith Putman, Willie Cooper, Bob Crow, Chris Miller (lived next door to Putmans), the Betts family, Jane Munday, Fergusons, the Birch family who moved to Criss Cross Grove, Christine & Noleen Hearne (had Irish parents), the Shapcott family.
Local
Local

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dot poleykett Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 June 2015 at 7:59pm
Remember a Susan Gilbert, Christopher Birch, Jennifer Shapcott, Keith and David Putman I think they had a sister Sheila.
knew a Chris Betts but not sure where he came from.
Local
Local

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dot poleykett Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 June 2015 at 10:45pm
Other families I think from Hillside Close-the Johnson, Sawyer, Soars and later the Coletta family who were our neighbours at Gravel Hill.
Rich Kid View Drop Down
Chalfont Snapper
Chalfont Snapper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rich Kid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 June 2015 at 12:19pm
Brendan Birch, (lives in Aylesbury?), Paul Birch, (emigrated to Canada many moons ago), Bridie Birch (?)
The Johnsons lived across the road from the Putman's. Mr Putman used to grow mushrooms in his garage. Mr Plested used to grow tomatoes. Both used to sell them to those living in Hillside Close.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 7>